add column sillyness

From
Thomas Zehetbauer
Date:
Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
get from MySQL with only ONE query:

alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;

MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
- usability
  - see above
- performance
  - uses index for for min()/max()
- reliability
  - no need to use vacuum
  - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
  - never screwed up any of my databases

I would therefore urgently recommend that
1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
  to MySQL
3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
  a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL

Regards
Tom

Re: add column sillyness

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
On Friday 05 December 2003 21:26, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
> get from MySQL with only ONE query:
>
> alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
> update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;
>
> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
> - usability
>   - see above
> - performance
>   - uses index for for min()/max()
> - reliability
>   - no need to use vacuum
>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
>   - never screwed up any of my databases
>
> I would therefore urgently recommend that
> 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
> 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
>   to MySQL
> 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
>   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL

Thanks, I haven't had such a good laugh for days ;-). You might
want to get a new CMOS battery for your motherboard clock though,
April 1st isn't for another 3 1/2 months.

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: add column sillyness

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Ian Barwick wrote:

> On Friday 05 December 2003 21:26, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> > Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
> > get from MySQL with only ONE query:
> >
> > alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
> > alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
> > update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
> > alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;
> >
> > MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
> > - usability
> >   - see above
> > - performance
> >   - uses index for for min()/max()
> > - reliability
> >   - no need to use vacuum
> >   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
> >   - never screwed up any of my databases
> >
> > I would therefore urgently recommend that
> > 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
> > 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
> >   to MySQL
> > 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
> >   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL
>
> Thanks, I haven't had such a good laugh for days ;-). You might
> want to get a new CMOS battery for your motherboard clock though,
> April 1st isn't for another 3 1/2 months.

That's why I let that one slip through the proverbial cracks ... figured a
few ppl would have a good chuckle :)

----

Re: add column sillyness

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

> Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
> get from MySQL with only ONE query:
>
> alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
> update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;
>
> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
> - usability
>   - see above
> - performance
>   - uses index for for min()/max()
> - reliability
>   - no need to use vacuum
>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
>   - never screwed up any of my databases
>
> I would therefore urgently recommend that
> 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
> 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
>   to MySQL
> 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
>   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL

Thomas,

you know about this problem for quite some time now:

http://www.faqchest.com/prgm/pgsql-l/pgsql-02/pgsql-0203/pgsql-020330/pgsql02031308_14224.html

I assume that you have some experience in database development and since
you know about this for so long, have some idea for us. Can you please
explain in some detail how to do this given the catalog based extensible
functionality of PostgreSQL.

How does MySQL achieve to use an index on a user defined data type where
a user defined max() aggregate was created for?

I know that MySQL is far superior. Unfortunately though some of my
applications use stored procedures, referential actions, updateable
views, triggers, subselects and other features that are not yet
supported by this excellent product. Please let me know when some of
these will be available and until then, just shut up!

Jan

Re: add column sillyness

From
Eric Soroos

> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
> - usability
>   - see above
> - performance
>   - uses index for for min()/max()
> - reliability
>   - no need to use vacuum
>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
>   - never screwed up any of my databases

You forgot space saving storage of floating point numbers:

mysql> create table test(foo int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.51 sec)

mysql> insert into test (foo) values (1.5);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.42 sec)

mysql> select * from test;
+------+
| foo  |
+------+
|    2 |
+------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

eric

Re: add column sillyness

From
Alvaro Herrera Munoz
Date:
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 02:29:31PM -0800, Eric Soroos wrote:

> >MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of

> mysql> insert into test (foo) values (1.5);
> Query OK, 1 row affected (0.42 sec)
>
> mysql> select * from test;
> +------+
> | foo  |
> +------+
> |    2 |
> +------+

Cool.  Where do I download this software?
This is just what I was looking for.

"Es fil�sofo el que disfruta con los enigmas" (G. Coli)

Re: add column sillyness

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Eric Soroos wrote:

>> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
>> - usability
>>   - see above
>> - performance
>>   - uses index for for min()/max()
>> - reliability
>>   - no need to use vacuum
>>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
>>   - never screwed up any of my databases
>>

> You forgot space saving storage of floating point numbers:

He also forgot that it returns far less error messages since it just
assumes "something" whenever the input is unintelligible or if the
requested feature is not what the programmer should want, speed wise.

Oh, and it is much much faster too. For example numeric data does not
use those horrible expensive string math routines for exact precision,
it has full hardware floating point support instead, so it will actually
use your math co-proc (if you have one). These accounting bureaucrats
really shouldn't worry, at that speed one can create many more results
and one will probably be right someday.

Jan

> mysql> create table test(foo int);
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.51 sec)
>
> mysql> insert into test (foo) values (1.5);
> Query OK, 1 row affected (0.42 sec)
>
> mysql> select * from test;
> +------+
> | foo  |
> +------+
> |    2 |
> +------+
> 1 row in set (0.01 sec)
>
> eric

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: add column sillyness

Date:
"I'm tired of MySQL being beaten up by the PostgreSQL guys.  I am going
to fight back!  Where is my sword?"

Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
> get from MySQL with only ONE query:
>
> alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
> update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;
>
> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
> - usability
>   - see above
> - performance
>   - uses index for for min()/max()
> - reliability
>   - no need to use vacuum
>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
>   - never screwed up any of my databases
>
> I would therefore urgently recommend that
> 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
> 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
>   to MySQL
> 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
>   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL
>
> Regards
> Tom

Re: add column sillyness

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> "I'm tired of MySQL being beaten up by the PostgreSQL guys.  I am going
> to fight back!  Where is my sword?"

Carefull Bruce. The MySQL sword is razor sharp only on one side and is
missing the handle! But if you succeed to pull it out without cutting
off your fingers, it'll cut everything else to fit without warning ...
if you want that cut or not.

Jan

> Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>> Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
>> get from MySQL with only ONE query:
>>
>> alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
>> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
>> update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
>> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;
>>
>> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
>> - usability
>>   - see above
>> - performance
>>   - uses index for for min()/max()
>> - reliability
>>   - no need to use vacuum
>>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
>>   - never screwed up any of my databases
>>
>> I would therefore urgently recommend that
>> 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
>> 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
>>   to MySQL
>> 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
>>   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL
>>
>> Regards
>> Tom

>> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: add column sillyness

Jan Wieck wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > "I'm tired of MySQL being beaten up by the PostgreSQL guys.  I am going
> > to fight back!  Where is my sword?"
>
> Carefull Bruce. The MySQL sword is razor sharp only on one side and is
> missing the handle! But if you succeed to pull it out without cutting
> off your fingers, it'll cut everything else to fit without warning ...
> if you want that cut or not.

LOL. I thought someone would find this funny.

Re: add column sillyness

From
Karsten Hilbert
Date:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >"I'm tired of MySQL being beaten up by the PostgreSQL guys.  I am going
> >to fight back!  Where is my sword?"
>
> Carefull Bruce. The MySQL sword is razor sharp only on one side and is
> missing the handle! But if you succeed to pull it out without cutting
> off your fingers, it'll cut everything else to fit without warning ...
> if you want that cut or not.

"To defeat a superior swordsman, you have to use your sword --
not as a sword -- but rather as something else, like a chain
of a rope."

"This sword technique would be the same for a yari, bo, or
naginata. They are all the same."

        Hatsumi Sensei, Hisamune
        Bujinkan Budo Ninpo Taijutsu

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: add column sillyness

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

> Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
> get from MySQL with only ONE query:
>
> alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
> update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;

Wow, that's true!

On MySQL 4.0.16-nt is also possible write:

alter table T1
add CONSTRAINT FK_test foreign key (id)
REFERENCES T2 (id);

that doesn't complain. Unfortunately repeating
the command N times doesn't complain neither.
And the funny here is that FK are not yet supported !

No regards.
Gaetano Mendola

Re: add column sillyness

From
mailings@oopsware.de

Please, read this carefully: http://sql-info.de/mysql/

> I would therefore urgently recommend that
> 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
> 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
>   to MySQL
> 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
>   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL

Before blaming all the developers here, you should know that you are shooting without
any effective ammo.....

I am new to [hackers], i know, but i can\'t hold on me while reading this.

  Bernd

Re: add column sillyness

From
Date:

YIKES!. You don't have to read even at all carefully to see how dangerous
MySQL can be for any kind of important data! I only had general,
non-specific sense of how much better Postgresql was in comparison to
MySQL, but that referenced page not only puts nails in the MySQL coffin,
it completely reverses the sentiments originally expressed!

>> I would therefore urgently recommend that
>> 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
>> 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be
>> donated
>>   to MySQL
>> 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject
>>   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL

~Berend Tober

Re: add column sillyness

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
mailings@oopsware.de wrote:

> Please, read this carefully: http://sql-info.de/mysql/

I can not believe it!

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: add column sillyness

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
Hi,

I think it is time to create a pgsql-humour list where such mails can be directed..

No point wasting energy answering such questions especially when they do not
appear sincere..

Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

> Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
> get from MySQL with only ONE query:
>
> alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
> update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;
>
> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
> - usability
>   - see above
> - performance
>   - uses index for for min()/max()
> - reliability
>   - no need to use vacuum
>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
>   - never screwed up any of my databases

Lucky you..:-)

> I would therefore urgently recommend that
> 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
> 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
>   to MySQL
> 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
>   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL

Shridhar

Re: add column sillyness

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it is time to create a pgsql-humour list where such mails can be directed..
>
> No point wasting energy answering such questions especially when they do not
> appear sincere..

That troll is known for quite some time ... and he doesn't even read
these comments any more. I allways wonder what he gains from telling
everyone how stupid he is and then walking away. But that's him.

Jan

> Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>
>> Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
>> get from MySQL with only ONE query:
>>
>> alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
>> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
>> update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
>> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;
>>
>> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
>> - usability
>>   - see above
>> - performance
>>   - uses index for for min()/max()
>> - reliability
>>   - no need to use vacuum
>>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
>>   - never screwed up any of my databases
>
> Lucky you..:-)
>

>> I would therefore urgently recommend that
>> 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
>> 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
>>   to MySQL
>> 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
>>   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL
>
> Shridhar

Re: add column sillyness

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think it is time to create a pgsql-humour list where such mails can be directed..
> >
> > No point wasting energy answering such questions especially when they do not
> > appear sincere..
>
> That troll is known for quite some time ... and he doesn't even read
> these comments any more. I allways wonder what he gains from telling
> everyone how stupid he is and then walking away. But that's him.

well, to be perfectly honest, I think everyone drop'd him off of the CC
list, so he never got any of the 'yo, idiot' messages :)

> Jan
>

> > Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> >
> >> Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
> >> get from MySQL with only ONE query:
> >>
> >> alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
> >> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
> >> update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
> >> alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;
> >>
> >> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
> >> - usability
> >>   - see above
> >> - performance
> >>   - uses index for for min()/max()
> >> - reliability
> >>   - no need to use vacuum
> >>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
> >>   - never screwed up any of my databases
> >
> > Lucky you..:-)
> >

> >> I would therefore urgently recommend that
> >> 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
> >> 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
> >>   to MySQL
> >> 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
> >>   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL
> >
> > Shridhar

> > TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>

> --
> #======================================================================#
> # It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
> # Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #
> #================================================== JanWieck@Yahoo.com #

----

Re: add column sillyness

From
"Rick Gigger"
Date:
On a more serious note though I stopped doing comparisons between postgres
and mysql a long time ago.  As soon as I realized that it didn't have unions
(yes I know that it does now) I never took it seriously again.  But I have
noticed some very good things about firebird.  Namely:

tested, solid, native replication both syncronous and asyncronous (at least
they list this as a feature, I assume it works as advertised)
native windows versions
scales down better for embedded apps

The first feature is something that is not a huge deal to me right now but
it probably will be someday.  Right now I do a full backup every 15 minutes
and rsync it to a backup db server.  As my databases are small right now
this is not much of a problem.  I'm hoping that this feature will pop up in
postgres before it becomes a must have.

The last two combined woudl be nice because we have code that runs on both
our web apps running on linux but the same code is also embedded into some
desktop apps that need to run on windows.  Right now we just use sqlite and
it works great but it would be nice to know that if I write some code for
the server that it will "just work" on the desktop version because it is the
exact same piece of software.

Of course I'm sure there are many things that postgres has that firebird
doesn't.  I think that anyone who knows anything starts investigating open
source databases is going to narrow it down to postgres and firebird.  As
important as it might be to have postgers vs mysql comparisons for those who
are aren't aware of mysql's limitations I think it would be very useful to
have a postgres vs firebird comparison.

Does anyone have a link to such a comparison?  Also can anyone elaborate on
the features that postgres has that firebird lacks?  If there were some
obvious show stoppers in firebird it would save me the time of having to do
a trial port of an app to firebird before I find them on my own.

thanks,

rg

> I think it is time to create a pgsql-humour list where such mails can be
directed..

> No point wasting energy answering such questions especially when they do
not
> appear sincere..
>
> Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>
> > Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
> > get from MySQL with only ONE query:
> >
> > alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
> > alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
> > update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
> > alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;
> >
> > MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
> > - usability
> >   - see above
> > - performance
> >   - uses index for for min()/max()
> > - reliability
> >   - no need to use vacuum
> >   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
> >   - never screwed up any of my databases
>
> Lucky you..:-)
>

> > I would therefore urgently recommend that
> > 1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
> > 2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
> >   to MySQL
> > 3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
> >   a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL
>
> Shridhar

Re: add column sillyness

Date:
"Rick Gigger" <rick@alpinenetworking.com> writes:
> Does anyone have a link to such a comparison?  Also can anyone elaborate on
> the features that postgres has that firebird lacks?

AFAICT, the main thing that Firebird lacks is a viable open-source
development community :-(.  It's a nice bit of software, and I'd be
happy to see it doing better, but it seems like they just have not been
able to gather critical mass around it.  So in any comparison you need
to factor in the likelihood that Postgres will be improving at a much
greater rate than Firebird.

            regards, tom lane

Re: add column sillyness

From
"Rick Gigger"
Date:
> "Rick Gigger" <rick@alpinenetworking.com> writes:
> > Does anyone have a link to such a comparison?  Also can anyone elaborate
on
> > the features that postgres has that firebird lacks?
>
> AFAICT, the main thing that Firebird lacks is a viable open-source
> development community :-(.  It's a nice bit of software, and I'd be
> happy to see it doing better, but it seems like they just have not been
> able to gather critical mass around it.  So in any comparison you need
> to factor in the likelihood that Postgres will be improving at a much
> greater rate than Firebird.

Last night after posting this I asked myself.  Could I get the same kind of
support (basically an answer to any question within 24 hours from one of the
actual postgres developers) with firebird that I can get here?  I doubt it.

Re: add column sillyness

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Rick Gigger wrote:

> > "Rick Gigger" <rick@alpinenetworking.com> writes:
> > > Does anyone have a link to such a comparison?  Also can anyone elaborate
> on
> > > the features that postgres has that firebird lacks?
> >
> > AFAICT, the main thing that Firebird lacks is a viable open-source
> > development community :-(.  It's a nice bit of software, and I'd be
> > happy to see it doing better, but it seems like they just have not been
> > able to gather critical mass around it.  So in any comparison you need
> > to factor in the likelihood that Postgres will be improving at a much
> > greater rate than Firebird.
>
> Last night after posting this I asked myself.  Could I get the same kind of
> support (basically an answer to any question within 24 hours from one of the
> actual postgres developers) with firebird that I can get here?  I doubt it.

But it's just a theory until you test it.  I'm willing to bet you'd get
decent support on the simple stuff.  But it's few projects that have the
kind of developer support postgresql gets.

Re: add column sillyness

From
"Rick Gigger"
Date:

> > on
> > >
> > > AFAICT, the main thing that Firebird lacks is a viable open-source
> > > development community :-(.  It's a nice bit of software, and I'd be
> > > happy to see it doing better, but it seems like they just have not
been
> > > able to gather critical mass around it.  So in any comparison you need
> > > to factor in the likelihood that Postgres will be improving at a much
> > > greater rate than Firebird.
> >
> > Last night after posting this I asked myself.  Could I get the same kind
of
> > support (basically an answer to any question within 24 hours from one of
the
> > actual postgres developers) with firebird that I can get here?  I doubt
it.

> But it's just a theory until you test it.  I'm willing to bet you'd get
> decent support on the simple stuff.  But it's few projects that have the
> kind of developer support postgresql gets.

Yes, I didn't mean to make a statement about firebird support (which I know
nothing about) but rather I was just trying to comment on and show
appreciation for the amazing support that I get here.

rg

Re: add column sillyness

From
Eric Soroos

> MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
> - usability
>   - see above
> - performance
>   - uses index for for min()/max()
> - reliability
>   - no need to use vacuum
>   - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
>   - never screwed up any of my databases

You forgot space saving storage of floating point numbers:

mysql> create table test(foo int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.51 sec)

mysql> insert into test (foo) values (1.5);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.42 sec)

mysql> select * from test;
+------+
| foo  |
+------+
|    2 |
+------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

eric

Re: add column sillyness

From
Paul Ganainm

rick@alpinenetworking.com says...

> tested, solid, native replication both syncronous and asyncronous (at least
> they list this as a feature, I assume it works as advertised)

As an Interbase/Firebird user, I'm confused by this.

There is a replication solution, but AFAIK, it's commercial - not Open
Source.

> native windows versions

This is true - if PostgreSQL got its install/setup as easy as for IB/FB,
they would really start to go places!

> scales down better for embedded apps

There is a dll version available for single user apps - which makes
installation very nice (on Windows).

> The first feature is something that is not a huge deal to me right now but
> it probably will be someday.  Right now I do a full backup every 15 minutes
> and rsync it to a backup db server.  As my databases are small right now
> this is not much of a problem.  I'm hoping that this feature will pop up in
> postgres before it becomes a must have.

I thought that there was a commerical Replicator that has gone Open
Source? Is there more than one project for PG?

> Does anyone have a link to such a comparison?  Also can anyone elaborate on
> the features that postgres has that firebird lacks?  If there were some
> obvious show stoppers in firebird it would save me the time of having to do
> a trial port of an app to firebird before I find them on my own.

What would constitute a "show stopper" for you?

Paul...

--

plinehan  x__AT__x  yahoo  x__DOT__x  com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.

Re: add column sillyness

From
Paul Ganainm
Date:
rick@alpinenetworking.com says...

> Yes, I didn't mean to make a statement about firebird support (which I know
> nothing about)

But that didn't stop you actually making an (untrue) statement about it!

> but rather I was just trying to comment on and show
> appreciation for the amazing support that I get here.

It appears to me that support is good here - however it is certainly
comparable on the firebird lists.

Paul...

--

Date:
rick@alpinenetworking.com says...

> Last night after posting this I asked myself.  Could I get the same kind of
> support (basically an answer to any question within 24 hours from one of the
> actual postgres developers) with firebird that I can get here?  I doubt it.

www.ibphoenix.com - go to lists and you will find actual developers also
on the support list.

Paul...

--

Date:
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us says...

> AFAICT, the main thing that Firebird lacks is a viable open-source
> development community :-(.

This is untrue - go to www.ibphoenix.com and follow the links to the
lists.

> It's a nice bit of software, and I'd be
> happy to see it doing better, but it seems like they just have not been
> able to gather critical mass around it.  So in any comparison you need
> to factor in the likelihood that Postgres will be improving at a much
> greater rate than Firebird.

Firebird seems to be holding its own in the battle with Interbase 7
(commerical product).

Paul...

--

plinehan  x__AT__x  yahoo  x__DOT__x  com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.

Re: add column sillyness

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Paul Ganainm wrote:

> rick@alpinenetworking.com says...
>
> > Yes, I didn't mean to make a statement about firebird support (which I know
> > nothing about)
>

> But that didn't stop you actually making an (untrue) statement about it!

What statement? That he doubted it? Given that he was admittedly not an
expert on the issue (since he was asking about firebird), I think acting
like he was making a statement of fact is reaching.  At best I'd say it
was an implication, and from his followup it's obvious that he didn't
intend it that way.

Re: add column sillyness

From
"Rick Gigger"
Date:
> rick@alpinenetworking.com says...
>
> > Yes, I didn't mean to make a statement about firebird support (which I
know
> > nothing about)
>

> But that didn't stop you actually making an (untrue) statement about it!

I apologize.

> > but rather I was just trying to comment on and show
> > appreciation for the amazing support that I get here.
>

> It appears to me that support is good here - however it is certainly
> comparable on the firebird lists.

Thanks for some valid info.

At least my uninformed remarks got the attention of someone that knows what
I want to know.  :)  This is the kind of info I was actually after when I
started asking about firebird.

rg

Re: add column sillyness

From
Paul Ganainm
Date:
sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com says...

> > But that didn't stop you actually making an (untrue) statement about it!

> What statement?

This statement I had no problem with - I could have jumped in and
answered "Yes, you can".

> Could I get the same kind of support (basically an answer to
> any question within 24 hours from one of the actual postgres
> developers) with firebird that I can get here?

Then in reply to his own question, he says

> I doubt it.

He admitted later that he didn't know, which is fair enough. My point
however would be that if one doesn't know, one should refrain from
making remarks either way, especially bad (giving the benefit of the
doubt is better IMHO).

> That he doubted it? Given that he was admittedly not an
> expert on the issue (since he was asking about firebird), I think acting
> like he was making a statement of fact is reaching.  At best I'd say it
> was an implication, and from his followup it's obvious that he didn't
> intend it that way.

OK, OK, I'm not accusing the guy of a major crime or anything. I'm an
Interbaser/Freebirder, and it does annoy me that somebody would
automatically make the disparaging assumption, rather than the good one,
much the same way here I see people giving out about MySQL's greater
exposure despite being an inferior product, and who give out (rightly)
about the troll who started this thread or people who think that the
*_only_* serious database out there is Oracle.

I'll just leave this thread here I think - suffice to say that I am
slowly trying to immerse myself in PostgreSQL, and I think that your
support setup here is second to none! It's better than Firebird's at the
moment, because I think that mailing lists stink and I really *_really_*
appreciate that you have a newsgroup mirror which threads well at
news.gmane.org.

I tried to get the Firebird lists onto it, but the admins didn't want to
be mirrored - don't ask me why. The result of this bizarre policy is
that I've posted far far less about Interbase than about PostgreSQL, a
subject about which I know infinitely less - mostly in discussion type
threads - I don't present myself as a guru - at least not yet!  8-)

Paul...

--

Date:
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us says...

> > Does anyone have a link to such a comparison?  Also can anyone elaborate on
> > the features that postgres has that firebird lacks?

I'll do a list tonight and post it here under a new thread with a title
of somthing like "Interbase and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral".

(I'm also frantically looking for a Firebird 1.5 fact sheet so that I
can point out what's in FB and not in PG).

Paul...

--

Date: