add column sillyness - Mailing list pgsql-general

Why do I have to use FOUR queries to accomplish the same result I can
get from MySQL with only ONE query:

alter table users add column $ColumnName text;
alter table users alter column $ColumnName set default '';
update users set t_shirt_size='' where $ColumnName is null;
alter table users alter column $ColumnName set not null;

MySQL is CLEARLY SUPERIOR in terms of
- usability
  - see above
- performance
  - uses index for for min()/max()
- reliability
  - no need to use vacuum
  - no need to dump and restore databases for version upgrade
  - never screwed up any of my databases

I would therefore urgently recommend that
1) development of postgresql shall be immediately ceased
2) any resources gained thereby (developers, mirrors)  shall be donated
  to MySQL
3) code produced by the former postgresql developers shall be subject to
  a mandatory peer review before it is included in MySQL

Regards
Tom