Re: left turn to mailing listswas: add column sillyness - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: left turn to mailing listswas: add column sillyness
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Paul Ganainm wrote:

Firstly, I've played with IBPhoenix/Firebird a bit in the past, and met
one or two of the developers a couple of years back.  They reminded me a
lot of the Postgresql developer folks, focused on getting it right, and
rightly proud of their software package.  They, in the words of my
favorite Postgresql hacker, "got it."  :-)  I feel enriched having it and
Postgresql in the realm of free / open source databases I can use.

But that's not the main reason I replied.  The next bit is why I hit
'R'...

> I'll just leave this thread here I think - suffice to say that I am
> slowly trying to immerse myself in PostgreSQL, and I think that your
> support setup here is second to none! It's better than Firebird's at the
> moment, because I think that mailing lists stink and I really *_really_*
> appreciate that you have a newsgroup mirror which threads well at
> news.gmane.org.
>
> I tried to get the Firebird lists onto it, but the admins didn't want to
> be mirrored - don't ask me why. The result of this bizarre policy is
> that I've posted far far less about Interbase than about PostgreSQL, a
> subject about which I know infinitely less - mostly in discussion type
> threads - I don't present myself as a guru - at least not yet!  8-)

Wow.  That says a lot.  I know I found the lists in usenet before joining
them, and love knowing that if I miss them for a week, I can just delete
most of them and search for interesting phrases on groups.google.com in
the last two weeks to catch up, or look up problems from a year or two
back easily there or on the two or three full text engines available on
the lists.

I wonder if the Firebird folks would be amenable to having SOME lists on
usenet.  It would be nice to have the general help type list especially
through a more easily accessible means.

Welcome to the community, hope you enjoy it.  :)