Perl "with-perl" configuration option - Mailing list pgsql-general

From cadancer
Subject Perl "with-perl" configuration option
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi, all.

I read that the "--with-perl" option "Build the PL/Perl server-side
language".  Does that mean the the switch is necessary to connect to the
PostgreSQL database if you are using a perl program?

It seems to me that it is only for allowing the use of perl *inside* of
postgres and if one is just using perl programs to access the database
from the outside this switch is not necessary.  I want to make sure I
give the applications programmers the tools they need.

Also, does the PL/pgSQL server-side language get built automatically by
default?

...john