Milwaukee User Group

From
John Graber

Greetings!

I'm writing to inquire about the process to set up an "official" user group in the Milwaukee area.  If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful!

Regards,

John Graber
Postgres Consultant
EnterpriseDB

Re: Milwaukee User Group

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
> On Feb 6, 2014, at 8:28 PM, John Graber <devopsdba@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Greetings!
>
> I'm writing to inquire about the process to set up an "official" user group in the Milwaukee area.  If someone could
pointme in the right direction, I'd be most grateful!

> Regards,
>
> John Graber
> Postgres Consultant
> EnterpriseDB

Hi John,

All you need is a mailing list and/or meetup (or meetup-like) page, and we can list you on our user groups page.

Do you want a mailing list through postgresql.org or something through meetup.com?

Postgresql.us may be able to provide some funding to get things initially setup.

Best,

Jonathan

Re: Milwaukee User Group

From
John Graber
Date:
Thanks for the quick reply, Jonathan.  Greatly appreciated.

Putting together a page will be no problem.  And I like the idea of having a the mailing list through postgresql.org if that's an option.

Should I communicate the details to you directly or through this mailing list?

Thanks!

Date:
On Feb 6, 2014, at 8:43 PM, John Graber wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply, Jonathan.  Greatly appreciated.

Putting together a page will be no problem.  And I like the idea of having a the mailing list through postgresql.org if that's an option.

Should I communicate the details to you directly or through this mailing list?

For the URL to the site, the mailing list and/or direct is fine.

Jonathan

Re: Milwaukee User Group

From
John Graber

I'm thinking BrewPUB — the Postgres User Base of Milwaukee (The Brew City)

Going for the memorable acronym for members (that fits Milwaukee oh-so-well).  Hence PUB instead of PUG, if that's kosher with everyone.  I'm optimistic that it will attract interest and participation, not to mention the (eventual) possible logo designs would be fun, to say the least ;)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
On Feb 6, 2014, at 8:43 PM, John Graber wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply, Jonathan.  Greatly appreciated.

Putting together a page will be no problem.  And I like the idea of having a the mailing list through postgresql.org if that's an option.

Should I communicate the details to you directly or through this mailing list?

For the URL to the site, the mailing list and/or direct is fine.

Jonathan

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 02/07/2014 12:58 PM, John Graber wrote:

> I'm thinking BrewPUB — the Postgres User Base of Milwaukee (The Brew City)

BrewPUG?

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
John Graber
Date:
Thanks, Joshua.

So, I looked into "PUG" in Milwaukee.  We have a local user group for PHP of 319 members, created in 2009, that uses "PUG".

I absolutely understand why "PUG" would be preferable to some folks.  And this being community driven, I will _absolutely_ go with it if that's the consensus, now worries.  But as for myself, I'd really like to differentiate my merry band from other user groups in Milwaukee if possible.  :)

Is anyone else willing to share some feedback?  Thanks!

wrote:

[...]

Alvaro Herrera
Date:
John Graber escribió:

> So, I looked into "PUG" in Milwaukee.  We have a local user group for PHP
> of 319 members, created in 2009, that uses "PUG".
>
> I absolutely understand why "PUG" would be preferable to some folks.  And
> this being community driven, I will *_absolutely_* go with it if that's the
> consensus, now worries.  But as for myself, I'd really like to
> differentiate my merry band from other user groups in Milwaukee if
> possible.  :)
>
> Is anyone else willing to share some feedback?  Thanks!

As far as postgresql.org mailing lists are concerned, we typically
assign names that have "PUG" somewhere supposedly because it's an
acronym for "Postgres User Group".  We try to go for more-or-less formal
names using the city name and/or state two-letter code (for PUGs in the
USA); in the last few years this has been followed more or less
consistently, at least for US cities/states.  We have always made
exceptions, so I don't necessarily oppose to a name such as "BrewPUG"
but I'd need some other American to confirm that this name actually
makes sense, and somebody from some other part of the world that this
isn't too insane.

In this list
http://www.postgresql.org/list/group/6/
you can see the PUG name by hovering over each link.

BrewPUG doesn't sound so bad to me; at least it's not as bad as having
given the "spug" name to a group that didn't ever get off the ground.

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
John Graber
Date:
Thanks, Alvaro.

Just for clarity's sake — the name I'm hoping for is BrewPUB, with a B.

MKEPUG is definitely straight out for us, as it's in use by The Milwaukee PHP User Group.

BrewPUG is a possibility, but I think it may lead to confusion with the well establish PHP group in town with a few hundred members.

Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/10/2014 01:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> John Graber escribió:
>
>> So, I looked into "PUG" in Milwaukee.  We have a local user group for PHP
>> of 319 members, created in 2009, that uses "PUG".
>>
>> I absolutely understand why "PUG" would be preferable to some folks.  And
>> this being community driven, I will *_absolutely_* go with it if that's the
>> consensus, now worries.  But as for myself, I'd really like to
>> differentiate my merry band from other user groups in Milwaukee if
>> possible.  :)
>>
>> Is anyone else willing to share some feedback?  Thanks!
>
> As far as postgresql.org mailing lists are concerned, we typically
> assign names that have "PUG" somewhere supposedly because it's an
> acronym for "Postgres User Group".  We try to go for more-or-less formal
> names using the city name and/or state two-letter code (for PUGs in the
> USA); in the last few years this has been followed more or less
> consistently, at least for US cities/states.  We have always made
> exceptions, so I don't necessarily oppose to a name such as "BrewPUG"
> but I'd need some other American to confirm that this name actually
> makes sense, and somebody from some other part of the world that this
> isn't too insane.

It or the actual name desired, BrewPUB , makes complete sense to me.
 From someone who has downed their fair share of Milwaukee brewed beers.

adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
David Fetter
Date:
Great!  You can call it chic_east_side_PUG ;)

Cheers,
David (born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, living in Oakland, California).
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 03:05:29PM -0600, John Graber wrote:
> Thanks, Alvaro.
>
> Just for clarity's sake -- the name I'm hoping for is BrewPUB, with a B.
>
> MKEPUG is definitely straight out for us, as it's in use by The Milwaukee
> PHP User Group.
>
> BrewPUG is a possibility, but I think it may lead to confusion with the
> well establish PHP group in town with a few hundred members.
>

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:
>
> > John Graber escribió:
> >
> > > So, I looked into "PUG" in Milwaukee.  We have a local user group for PHP
> > > of 319 members, created in 2009, that uses "PUG".
> > >
> > > I absolutely understand why "PUG" would be preferable to some folks.  And
> > > this being community driven, I will *_absolutely_* go with it if that's
> > the
> > > consensus, now worries.  But as for myself, I'd really like to
> > > differentiate my merry band from other user groups in Milwaukee if
> > > possible.  :)
> > >
> > > Is anyone else willing to share some feedback?  Thanks!
> >
> > As far as postgresql.org mailing lists are concerned, we typically
> > assign names that have "PUG" somewhere supposedly because it's an
> > acronym for "Postgres User Group".  We try to go for more-or-less formal
> > names using the city name and/or state two-letter code (for PUGs in the
> > USA); in the last few years this has been followed more or less
> > consistently, at least for US cities/states.  We have always made
> > exceptions, so I don't necessarily oppose to a name such as "BrewPUG"
> > but I'd need some other American to confirm that this name actually
> > makes sense, and somebody from some other part of the world that this
> > isn't too insane.
> >
> > In this list
> > http://www.postgresql.org/list/group/6/
> > you can see the PUG name by hovering over each link.
> >
> > BrewPUG doesn't sound so bad to me; at least it's not as bad as having
> > given the "spug" name to a group that didn't ever get off the ground.
> >
> > --
> > Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
> > PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Remember to vote!

Date:
On 02/10/2014 02:30 PM, David Fetter wrote:

>>> In this list
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/list/group/6/
>>> you can see the PUG name by hovering over each link.
>>>
>>> BrewPUG doesn't sound so bad to me; at least it's not as bad as having
>>> given the "spug" name to a group that didn't ever get off the ground.

Yeah I would lean toward BrewPUG better than CheesePUG ;). Seriously
though, the name is a little fun but still applicable.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc
For my dreams of your image that blossoms
    a rose in the deeps of my heart. - W.B. Yeats

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
Selena Deckelmann

John Graber escribió:

So, I looked into "PUG" in Milwaukee.  We have a local user group for PHP
of 319 members, created in 2009, that uses "PUG".

I absolutely understand why "PUG" would be preferable to some folks.  And
this being community driven, I will *_absolutely_* go with it if that's the
consensus, now worries.  But as for myself, I'd really like to
differentiate my merry band from other user groups in Milwaukee if
possible.  :)

Is anyone else willing to share some feedback?  Thanks!

As far as postgresql.org mailing lists are concerned, we typically
assign names that have "PUG" somewhere supposedly because it's an
acronym for "Postgres User Group".

It or the actual name desired, BrewPUB , makes complete sense to me. From someone who has downed their fair share of Milwaukee brewed beers.

+1

As the number of groups grow, I'm happy to have local organizers use some imagination.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Selena Deckelmann <selena@chesnok.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> As far as postgresql.org mailing lists are concerned, we typically
>>> assign names that have "PUG" somewhere supposedly because it's an
>>> acronym for "Postgres User Group".
>>

>> It or the actual name desired, BrewPUB , makes complete sense to me. From
>> someone who has downed their fair share of Milwaukee brewed beers.
>

> +1
>
> As the number of groups grow, I'm happy to have local organizers use some
> imagination.

ISTM it's up to the organizers to decide what works best for their
locale. My only caution to John would be that BrewPUB is probably
going to get a lot more false positives than BrewPUG, since brewpub
are a very popular thing that is entirely different. In the end
though, up to John imo.

Robert Treat
play: xzilla.net
work: omniti.com

Date:

John Graber escribió:

[...]

Personally I would prefer to stick with the "PUG" standard, but in the case of Milwaukee, given they already have "PUG" taken for a popular tech group, I think creativity should win out and we should go with BrewPUB (though we will have to hold them to a higher standard on beverages served at meetups), so +1 with that.

I think this is going to be one of those things where we should take it on a market-by-market basis.  For example in NYC, there are two NYCPUGs, ours and one for dog lovers (and one of my friends is in it and complains that our PUG comes up higher in searches ;-), but we thought it was separate enough that we could keep the same branding.

Jonathan

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 11/02/14 12:19, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Selena Deckelmann <selena@chesnok.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> It or the actual name desired, BrewPUB , makes complete sense to me. From
>>> someone who has downed their fair share of Milwaukee brewed beers.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> As the number of groups grow, I'm happy to have local organizers use some
>> imagination.
>>
> ISTM it's up to the organizers to decide what works best for their
> locale. My only caution to John would be that BrewPUB is probably
> going to get a lot more false positives than BrewPUG, since brewpub
> are a very popular thing that is entirely different. In the end
> though, up to John imo.
>

> Robert Treat
> play: xzilla.net
> work: omniti.com

mpDBug - Milwaukee Postgres DataBase User Group?

Just a suggestion...

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
gabrielle
Date:
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
On Feb 10, 2014, at 6:06 PM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
It or the actual name desired, BrewPUB , makes complete sense to me. From someone who has downed their fair share of Milwaukee brewed beers.

+1

As the number of groups grow, I'm happy to have local organizers use some imagination.
+1 to both sentiments.

Personally I would prefer to stick with the "PUG" standard, but in the case of Milwaukee, given they already have "PUG" taken for a popular tech group, I think creativity should win out and we should go with BrewPUB (though we will have to hold them to a higher standard on beverages served at meetups), so +1 with that.

...and this one, as well.

gabrielle

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
Michael Alan Brewer

+1. Y'all are closer to the local scene, so I prefer to defer to your judgment. (Plus, it sounds fun. ;) )

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

On Feb 10, 2014 7:42 PM, "gabrielle" <gorthx@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Many, MANY thanks for all the replies!  (And a shout out to David Fetter from the icy land of his birth for the chic East Side recommendation.  LMAO!)  And dear gods, no... CheesePUG?  Sweet Jesus, I wish those foam cheese wedge hats would die out already! ;)

Well alrighty, then.  Based on the feedback you good folks have provided, I'd like to move forward with "BrewPUB", unless there are any strenuous objections.  I'll get a Twitter feed and a page set up for it.  I'm assuming I should be posting to pgsql-advocacy with the details as I have them.

Regards,
John

Date:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:00 AM, John Graber <devopsdba@gmail.com> wrote:

> Many, MANY thanks for all the replies!  (And a shout out to David Fetter
> from the icy land of his birth for the chic East Side recommendation.
> LMAO!)  And dear gods, no... CheesePUG?  Sweet Jesus, I wish those foam
> cheese wedge hats would die out already! ;)
>
> Well alrighty, then.  Based on the feedback you good folks have provided,
> I'd like to move forward with "BrewPUB", unless there are any strenuous
> objections.  I'll get a Twitter feed and a page set up for it.  I'm assuming
> I should be posting to pgsql-advocacy with the details as I have them.

Yep. Also if you haven't read this, please give it a look:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual (also it's a
wiki, so please update it if you feel it should be updated).

Also if you find you need funds for the meetup group or something,
pg.us has some budget for that type of thing, so feel free to poke
someone over there.

Robert Treat
conjecture: xzilla.net
consulting: omniti.com

Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

From
John Graber

Excellent.  Thanks for the link.  I read through the wiki before I get anything rolling and keep you all up to date here as things move along.

Date: