Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Milwaukee User Group - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Milwaukee User Group
Date
List pgsql-www
On Feb 10, 2014, at 6:06 PM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
On 02/10/2014 01:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
John Graber escribió:

So, I looked into "PUG" in Milwaukee.  We have a local user group for PHP
of 319 members, created in 2009, that uses "PUG".

I absolutely understand why "PUG" would be preferable to some folks.  And
this being community driven, I will *_absolutely_* go with it if that's the
consensus, now worries.  But as for myself, I'd really like to
differentiate my merry band from other user groups in Milwaukee if
possible.  :)

Is anyone else willing to share some feedback?  Thanks!

As far as postgresql.org mailing lists are concerned, we typically
assign names that have "PUG" somewhere supposedly because it's an
acronym for "Postgres User Group".

It or the actual name desired, BrewPUB , makes complete sense to me. From someone who has downed their fair share of Milwaukee brewed beers.

+1

As the number of groups grow, I'm happy to have local organizers use some imagination.

Personally I would prefer to stick with the "PUG" standard, but in the case of Milwaukee, given they already have "PUG" taken for a popular tech group, I think creativity should win out and we should go with BrewPUB (though we will have to hold them to a higher standard on beverages served at meetups), so +1 with that.

I think this is going to be one of those things where we should take it on a market-by-market basis.  For example in NYC, there are two NYCPUGs, ours and one for dog lovers (and one of my friends is in it and complains that our PUG comes up higher in searches ;-), but we thought it was separate enough that we could keep the same branding.

Jonathan