Re: [pgsql-www] Where to put shared designs/images - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Where to put shared designs/images
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> PostgreSQL advocacy needs a place to upload and share images, design
> files, flyer designs, etc.  Previously we used pgfoundry for this, but
> with pgfoundry broken we don't really have a site.
>
> We need something which allows:
> * permissions control on who can upload stuff, including easily adding
> new contributors
> * some kind of change history (and retrieval of older versions) on files
> * permanent image links for a minority of images (e.g. Slonik, etc.)
> * easy bulk uploading and downloading of files
> * ability to eventually handle ~~ 15GB of image files (1.5GB currently)
>
> The PG infrastructure could probably handle this via a combination of
> git.postgresql.org and ftp publishing, but this would be a pain for our
> infra team, and would require expansion of storage on several hosts.  Or
> we could do github + dropbox.  Nothing's completely satisfactory,
> though, so suggestions?

I think github (or maybe bitbucket, does mercurial have the same
issues as git for dealing with images?) is probably the way to go. we
need something where people can do social coding without a lot of
permissions overhead. (As an example, our graphic designer did some
work on the postgres logos for LISA this year, but couldn't get past
the pgfoundry process to give that back publicly; if it had been on
github, it would have been much simpler to do a pull request).

Robert Treat
play: xzilla.net
work: omniti.com