Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
we want to participate this year.

Questions:

- Who wants to mentor for GSOC?

- Who can admin for GSOC?  Thom?

- Please suggest project ideas for GSOC

- Students seeing this -- please speak up if you have projects you plan
to submit.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar
Date:
Hello,

Well i'm interested in PostgreSQL for GSOC, i'm not sure for the project yet. But i'm looking forward in meeting the mentors and speak with them what could be implemented over the summer.

Thanks,
Sirbu Nicolae-Cezar

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 14 February 2013 18:02, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
> we want to participate this year.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?
>
> - Who can admin for GSOC?  Thom?

I don't mind being an admin again.

--
Thom

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
> we want to participate this year.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?

I am open to being a mentor.

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
I forgot to mark all.

I could be a co mentor, helping in overall coordination and supporting all the students in getting familiar with the
projectand community etc.

Atri

Sent from my iPad

On 14-Feb-2013, at 23:32, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
> we want to participate this year.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?
>
> - Who can admin for GSOC?  Thom?
>
> - Please suggest project ideas for GSOC
>
> - Students seeing this -- please speak up if you have projects you plan
> to submit.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
> http://pgexperts.com

Re: [HACKERS] Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Atri Sharma
Date:

On 15-Feb-2013, at 8:34, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

> * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?
>
> I could be a mentor.
>
>> - Who can admin for GSOC?  Thom?
>>
>> - Please suggest project ideas for GSOC
>
> Will think on this.
>
>    Thanks,
>
>        Stephen

Re: [HACKERS] Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Dimitri Fontaine
Date:
>> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?
>
> I am open to being a mentor.

Me too.

--
Dimitri Fontaine

Re: [HACKERS] Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar
Date:
Hello,

Can you guys send me a link to a where to start page ?

Thanks,
Sirbu Nicolae-Cezar

Re: [HACKERS] Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
Can't we have something related to machine learning? I was thinking of extending a technique where we can fill in some
missingvalues in a data set for the user if he wants us to using some standard ml algorithms.

Atri

Sent from my iPad

http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode/#ideas.

Date:
On 02/15/2013 06:03 AM, Atri Sharma wrote:
> Can't we have something related to machine learning? I was thinking of extending a technique where we can fill in
somemissing values in a data set for the user if he wants us to using some standard ml algorithms.

Take a look at MADLib.  My suggestion would be extending the MADlib
functions; there's plenty of unimplemented ML algrothims which could be
added to it.

http://madlib.net/

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: [HACKERS] Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
I would love to mentor if anybody would be willing to take a project in it.

Atri

Sent from my iPad

On 15-Feb-2013, at 23:04, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 02/15/2013 06:03 AM, Atri Sharma wrote:
>> Can't we have something related to machine learning? I was thinking of extending a technique where we can fill in
somemissing values in a data set for the user if he wants us to using some standard ml algorithms.

> Take a look at MADLib.  My suggestion would be extending the MADlib
> functions; there's plenty of unimplemented ML algrothims which could be
> added to it.
>
> http://madlib.net/
>

> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
> http://pgexperts.com

Re: [HACKERS] Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
On 15.02.2013 14:29, Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you guys send me a link to a where to start page ?

Take a look at the Project Ideas page from last year, and the project
TODO list. See http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode/#ideas.

One approach is to pick a research paper on some algorithm or technique
that's applicable to databases, and then implement that in PostgreSQL.

- Heikki

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
"Gilberto Castillo"

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
>> we want to participate this year.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?

I am open to being a mentor too.

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:02:13AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
> we want to participate this year.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?

I'd be up for this.

> - Who can admin for GSOC?  Thom?
>
> - Please suggest project ideas for GSOC

UPDATE ... RETURNING OLD
Add RETURNING to DDL (CREATE, ALTER, DROP) and possible DCL (GRANT, REVOKE), time permitting.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2013-02-14 10:02:13 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> - Please suggest project ideas for GSOC

pg_upgrade support for debian's pg_upgradecluster

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
> we want to participate this year.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?

Sign me up on that list. Depending on projects, of course.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Date:
> This was discussed before in this thread [1] but we don't reach a consensus
> of what we'll do, so I propose we discuss any more about it and I can
> implement it in GSOC2013, if my proposal will be accepted.

As a mentor or as a student?

--

Date:
> Take a look at MADLib.  My suggestion would be extending the MADlib
> functions; there's plenty of unimplemented ML algrothims which could be
> added to it.

I went through the MADLib library and came up with the following two
ideas which I feel could be potential GSoC 2013 projects:

1) MADlib currently has K-means clustering implemented.I would suggest
implementing the K-medoids clustering as it has better performance as
compared to K-means clustering.We could use k-means clustering code
base as the starting point for our implementation.

2) A more complex project would be to implement backpropogation
algorithm for much better classification. This would require
implementing some parts of neural network algorithms as well.

Again, I am willing to mentor either of the two projects if they are taken.

Regards,

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: [HACKERS] Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Fabrízio de Royes Mello

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
On 19.02.2013 20:07, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
I would like to propose implement a way to track creation times to database
objects. This was discussed before in this thread [1].

This was discussed before in this thread [1] but we don't reach a consensus
of what we'll do, so I propose we discuss any more about it and I can
implement it in GSOC2013, if my proposal will be accepted.

I don't think that's a good GSoC project. There's no consensus on what to do, if anything, so 95% of the work is going to arguing over what we want, and 5% coding. I'd suggest finding something more well-defined.

You all right about we don't have no consensus on what to do, but maybe this can be a opportunity to we do that.

I know a lot of people (friends, customers, users, ...) who would love to have this feature in future versions of PostgreSQL.

Anyway there is another well defined feature which you recommend to a good GSoC project?

Best regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL

Date:
Thom.

> I don't mind being an admin again.

Can you gather together all of the projects suggested on this thread and
use them to create updated text for the GSOC page?  If you don't have
web repo access, I can create a patch, but if you can do the text, that
would be a big help.

--

Date:
On 9 March 2013 01:01, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Thom.
>
>> I don't mind being an admin again.
>
> Can you gather together all of the projects suggested on this thread and
> use them to create updated text for the GSOC page?  If you don't have
> web repo access, I can create a patch, but if you can do the text, that
> would be a big help.

Okay, I've pushed some changes to the repo for 2013 GSoC, and purged
the varnish cache so that it's visible immediately:
http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode/

I've also created a new GSoC 2013 wiki page with mentor volunteers and
project ideas submitted so far:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2013

--
Thom

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Thom,

> Okay, I've pushed some changes to the repo for 2013 GSoC, and purged
> the varnish cache so that it's visible immediately:
> http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode/
>
> I've also created a new GSoC 2013 wiki page with mentor volunteers and
> project ideas submitted so far:
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2013

Nice work!

Please change the list of admins on /summerofcode/ to you and me.

I'll see about filling in more details on the suggested projects.

--

Date:
On 10 March 2013 00:08, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Thom,
>
>> Okay, I've pushed some changes to the repo for 2013 GSoC, and purged
>> the varnish cache so that it's visible immediately:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode/
>>
>> I've also created a new GSoC 2013 wiki page with mentor volunteers and
>> project ideas submitted so far:
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2013
>
> Nice work!
>
> Please change the list of admins on /summerofcode/ to you and me.

Done.

--
Thom

Date:
On 14 February 2013 18:02, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
> we want to participate this year.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?
>
> - Who can admin for GSOC?  Thom?
>
> - Please suggest project ideas for GSOC
>
> - Students seeing this -- please speak up if you have projects you plan
> to submit.

If anyone else has more projects ideas to suggest, please do share.
Students, please feel free to review the PostgreSQL Todo list for
inspiration: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo  Of course ensure
you don't choose anything too ambitious or trivial.

--
Thom

Date:
On 19 March 2013 17:42, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 14 February 2013 18:02, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
>> we want to participate this year.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?
>>
>> - Who can admin for GSOC?  Thom?
>>
>> - Please suggest project ideas for GSOC
>>
>> - Students seeing this -- please speak up if you have projects you plan
>> to submit.
>
> If anyone else has more projects ideas to suggest, please do share.
> Students, please feel free to review the PostgreSQL Todo list for
> inspiration: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo  Of course ensure
> you don't choose anything too ambitious or trivial.

Okay, here's a random idea (which could be infeasible and/or
undesirable).  How about a way to internally schedule tasks using a
background worker process (introduced in 9.2) to wake on each tick and
run tasks?

So:

CREATE EXTENSION pg_scheduler;
--
schedule_task(task_command, task_priority, task_start, repeat_interval);

SELECT schedule_task('REINDEX my_table', 1, '2012-03-20
00:10:00'::timestamp, '1 week'::interval);

SELECT list_tasks();

-[ RECORD 1 ]---+-----------------------
task_id         | 1
task_command    | REINDEX my_table
task_priority   | 1
task_start      | 2012-03-20 00:10:00-04
repeat_interval | 7 days
owner           | postgres

SELECT delete_task(1);

Tasks would be run in sequence if they share the same scheduled time
ordered by priority descending, beyond which it would be
non-deterministic.  Or perhaps additional worker processes to fire
commands in parallel if necessary.

Disclaimer: I haven't really thought this through.

--
Thom

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
It does sound nice,something like cron?

We can use a scheduling algorithm, and can define a pool of tasks as well as a time constraint for the amount of time
whichcan be used for running the tasks.Then, a scheduling algorithm can pick tasks from the pool based on priorities
andthe time duration of a task.I can see a dynamic programming solution to this problem.

Atri

Sent from my iPad

Date:
Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> writes:
> We can use a scheduling algorithm, and can define a pool of tasks as well as
> a time constraint for the amount of time which can be used for running the
> tasks.Then, a scheduling algorithm can pick tasks from the pool based on
> priorities and the time duration of a task.I can see a dynamic programming
> solution to this problem.

I think mcron already implements it all and is made to be embedded into
a larger program.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/mcron/

Dimitri Fontaine

On Mar 20, 2013 11:14 PM, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:

> Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> writes:
> > We can use a scheduling algorithm, and can define a pool of tasks as well as
> > a time constraint for the amount of time which can be used for running the
> > tasks.Then, a scheduling algorithm can pick tasks from the pool based on
> > priorities and the time duration of a task.I can see a dynamic programming
> > solution to this problem.
>
> I think mcron already implements it all and is made to be embedded into
> a larger program.

As long as your larger program is gpl. Not even lgpl on that one. I'd think that's a killer for that idea...

/Magnus

Date:
>> I think mcron already implements it all and is made to be embedded into
>> a larger program.
>
> As long as your larger program is gpl. Not even lgpl on that one. I'd think
> that's a killer for that idea...

Oh, are we now talking about including a scheduler in core or contrib?

My understanding was that the background worker infrastructure had been
made in parts so that we don't even have to talk about a scheduler specs
and implementation details on -hackers, where the usual answer is that
we already have a system's scheduler anyways.

Dimitri Fontaine

Date:
On 20 March 2013 16:03, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 19 March 2013 17:42, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> On 14 February 2013 18:02, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  We need to assess whether
>>> we want to participate this year.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> - Who wants to mentor for GSOC?
>>>
>>> - Who can admin for GSOC?  Thom?
>>>
>>> - Please suggest project ideas for GSOC
>>>
>>> - Students seeing this -- please speak up if you have projects you plan
>>> to submit.
>>
>> If anyone else has more projects ideas to suggest, please do share.
>> Students, please feel free to review the PostgreSQL Todo list for
>> inspiration: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo  Of course ensure
>> you don't choose anything too ambitious or trivial.
>
> Okay, here's a random idea (which could be infeasible and/or
> undesirable).  How about a way to internally schedule tasks using a
> background worker process (introduced in 9.2) to wake on each tick and
> run tasks?
>
> So:
>
> CREATE EXTENSION pg_scheduler;
> --
> schedule_task(task_command, task_priority, task_start, repeat_interval);
>
> SELECT schedule_task('REINDEX my_table', 1, '2012-03-20
> 00:10:00'::timestamp, '1 week'::interval);
>
> SELECT list_tasks();
>
> -[ RECORD 1 ]---+-----------------------
> task_id         | 1
> task_command    | REINDEX my_table
> task_priority   | 1
> task_start      | 2012-03-20 00:10:00-04
> repeat_interval | 7 days
> owner           | postgres
>
> SELECT delete_task(1);
>
> Tasks would be run in sequence if they share the same scheduled time
> ordered by priority descending, beyond which it would be
> non-deterministic.  Or perhaps additional worker processes to fire
> commands in parallel if necessary.
>
> Disclaimer: I haven't really thought this through.

Here's some evidence for my last statement: custom background worker
processes are actually being introduced as part of 9.3, not available
in 9.2.  I don't think that changes things much though.

--
Thom

Re: [HACKERS] Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
"Gilberto Castillo"

> Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> writes:
>> We can use a scheduling algorithm, and can define a pool of tasks as
>> well as
>> a time constraint for the amount of time which can be used for running
>> the
>> tasks.Then, a scheduling algorithm can pick tasks from the pool based on
>> priorities and the time duration of a task.I can see a dynamic
>> programming
>> solution to this problem.
>
> I think mcron already implements it all and is made to be embedded into
> a larger program.
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/mcron/

I wonder if we can add the domain, something like:

SELECT * FROM DOMAINS mydom;

Returns

{"a", "b", "c", "d"}

Their content.

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Basil Bourque
Date:
>> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  …

> If anyone else has more projects ideas to suggest, please do share.

JDBC driver perhaps…

Recently there's been some work started on an all-new code base for the Postgres JDBC driver. That might provide a nice
opportunityfor Summer of Code project(s).

--Basil Bourque

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
nik9000@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 22, 2013, at 5:03 AM, Basil Bourque <basil.bourque.lists@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Once again, Google is holding Summer of Code.  …
>
>> If anyone else has more projects ideas to suggest, please do share.
>
> JDBC driver perhaps…
>
> Recently there's been some work started on an all-new code base for the Postgres JDBC driver.

Unrelated to SOC I may be able to help with that particular project in my meager free time. Would you kindly send me a
linkto this?  I didn't see anything on the old jdbc driver's site.

Nik Everett

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
Was PostgreSQL accepted?

http://chesnok.com

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:56 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Was PostgreSQL accepted?

Looks like no, if I am not missing something:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2013

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:56 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Was PostgreSQL accepted?

Looks like no, if I am not missing something:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2013

Orgs only show up in that list after the Admins accept the acceptance, if that makes sense. ;)

--
http://chesnok.com

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
Just reading GSoC project ideas...

On 18 February 2013 17:12, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> - Please suggest project ideas for GSOC

UPDATE ... RETURNING OLD

Not sure what that is, but...

Add RETURNING to DDL (CREATE, ALTER, DROP) and possible DCL (GRANT, REVOKE), time permitting.

-1 on that idea

Making DDL less standard and more complex isn't good.

Date:
On 8 April 2013 22:01, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:56 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>> Was PostgreSQL accepted?
>
> Looks like no, if I am not missing something:
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2013

That list isn't accurate as it only reflects those projects that have
been accepted and have also completed their profile information.  We
haven't done that just yet.

--
Thom

Date:
On 8 April 2013 22:06, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 8 April 2013 22:01, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:56 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>>> Was PostgreSQL accepted?
>>
>> Looks like no, if I am not missing something:
>>
>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2013
>
> That list isn't accurate as it only reflects those projects that have
> been accepted and have also completed their profile information.  We
> haven't done that just yet.

And to be explicit, yes, PostgreSQL has been accepted.

--
Thom

Date:
Simon Riggs wrote:

> On 18 February 2013 17:12, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> > Add RETURNING to DDL (CREATE, ALTER, DROP) and possible DCL (GRANT,
> > REVOKE), time permitting.
>
> -1 on that idea
>
> Making DDL less standard and more complex isn't good.

I think this need is served by having event triggers on DDL and DCL.
Not sure whether improving event triggers can be a good GSoC proposal.

Date:
On 8 April 2013 22:07, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 8 April 2013 22:06, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> On 8 April 2013 22:01, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Looks like no, if I am not missing something:
>>>
>>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2013
>>
>> That list isn't accurate as it only reflects those projects that have
>> been accepted and have also completed their profile information.  We
>> haven't done that just yet.
>
> And to be explicit, yes, PostgreSQL has been accepted.

I've just completed the profile, and we now appear on the list on that page.

--
Thom

Date:
On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 10:06:58PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Just reading GSoC project ideas...
> On 18 February 2013 17:12, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> > > - Please suggest project ideas for GSOC
> >
> > UPDATE ... RETURNING OLD
>
> Not sure what that is, but...

Perhaps asking would help :)

At the moment, we have a system where only some DML commands return
rows, and then only sometimes, to wit:

- SELECT generally returns rows.
- INSERT can return expressions on the rows inserted with a RETURNING
  clause.
- UPDATE ... RETURNING can return expressions on new versions of the
  rows affected, but not the old ones.
- DELETE can return expressions on the rows deleted.

Of the above, only SELECT can return aggregates.

There are several more DML operations with odd inability to return
rows, but UPDATE's the one that really stands out, and is a bite-sized
chunk in the sense of having a relatively small scope of design and
not touching parts of the system unless they use the new grammar.

> > Add RETURNING to DDL (CREATE, ALTER, DROP) and possible DCL (GRANT,
> > REVOKE), time permitting.
>
> -1 on that idea
>
> Making DDL less standard and more complex isn't good.

Sometimes implementations lead the standard, as POSTGRES did.  In no
case have I proposed anything which would conflict with any existing
or (to the best of my knowledge) any proposed standard.

Would a PoC implementation with docs help get better lights on this?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Apr 8, 2013, at 5:19 PM, Thom Brown wrote:

> On 8 April 2013 22:07, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

>>> That list isn't accurate as it only reflects those projects that have
>>> been accepted and have also completed their profile information.  We
>>> haven't done that just yet.
>>
>> And to be explicit, yes, PostgreSQL has been accepted.
>
> I've just completed the profile, and we now appear on the list on that page.

Looks good! I would suggested adding "postgres" or "postgresql" as one of the tags as I tried searching that way and
theactual "PostgresSQL Project" did not turn up.

Jonathan

Date:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> > UPDATE ... RETURNING OLD
> There are several more DML operations with odd inability to return
> rows, but UPDATE's the one that really stands out, and is a bite-sized
> chunk in the sense of having a relatively small scope of design and
> not touching parts of the system unless they use the new grammar.

Which makes me think about having OLD and NEW "relations" available in
per statement triggers, too. Would that be a SoC sized projects? Maybe
if the relation is simply a SRF…

Dimitri Fontaine

Date:
On 8 April 2013 22:38, Jonathan S. Katz <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2013, at 5:19 PM, Thom Brown wrote:

>>> And to be explicit, yes, PostgreSQL has been accepted.
>>
>> I've just completed the profile, and we now appear on the list on that page.
>
> Looks good! I would suggested adding "postgres" or "postgresql" as one of the tags as I tried searching that way and
theactual "PostgresSQL Project" did not turn up.

Done.  Thanks.

--
Thom

Date:
On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 10:22:20AM +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> > There are several more DML operations with odd inability to return
> > rows, but UPDATE's the one that really stands out, and is a bite-sized
> > chunk in the sense of having a relatively small scope of design and
> > not touching parts of the system unless they use the new grammar.
>
> Which makes me think about having OLD and NEW "relations" available in
> per statement triggers, too. Would that be a SoC sized projects? Maybe
> if the relation is simply a SRF…

Are you envisioning this as a common infrastructure to both?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> > There are several more DML operations with odd inability to return
>> > rows, but UPDATE's the one that really stands out, and is a bite-sized
>> > chunk in the sense of having a relatively small scope of design and
>> > not touching parts of the system unless they use the new grammar.
>>
>> Which makes me think about having OLD and NEW "relations" available in
>> per statement triggers, too. Would that be a SoC sized projects? Maybe
>> if the relation is simply a SRF…
>
> Are you envisioning this as a common infrastructure to both?

I don't think so. Would happily be proven wrong, though :)

Dimitri Fontaine

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

>>> There are several more DML operations with odd inability to
>>> return rows, but UPDATE's the one that really stands out, and
>>> is a bite-sized chunk in the sense of having a relatively small
>>> scope of design and not touching parts of the system unless
>>> they use the new grammar.
>>
>> Which makes me think about having OLD and NEW "relations"
>> available in per statement triggers, too. Would that be a SoC
>> sized projects? Maybe if the relation is simply a SRF…
>
> Are you envisioning this as a common infrastructure to both?

This may also wind up sharing some infrastructure with incremental
mainenance of materialized views.  The most efficient and provably
correct optimization of that I've found in the literature[1] seems
to me to require the ability to accumulate "delta relations", and
it has been occuring to me how easy it would be to use a delta
relation for a statement to supply the OLD and NEW relations for an
FOR EACH STATEMENT trigger.

I don't really want to get into a design discussion about
incremental maintenance of matviews at this time, but felt that I
should give a "heads up" about potentially overlapping work.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

[1]  http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=170066&dl=ACM&coll=DL&CFID=202507837&CFTOKEN=96875563

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code mentors, admins

From
Basil Bourque
Date:
Regarding possible JDBC driver project…

>>> If anyone else has more projects ideas to suggest, please do share.
>>
>> JDBC driver perhaps…
>>
>> Recently there's been some work started on an all-new code base for the Postgres JDBC driver.
>
> Unrelated to SOC I may be able to help with that particular project in my meager free time. Would you kindly send me
alink to this?  I didn't see anything on the old jdbc driver's site.

> Nik Everett

See discussion in the Postgres JDBC ("pgsql-jdbc") mail list:
pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/lists.html

https://lists.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr?user=&passw=&func=lists-long-full&extra=pgsql-jdbc

Yesterday (April 8, 2013) Kevin Wooten posted an progress report on the work being done for a new next-generation JDBC
driver.

Code available on GitHub.
https://github.com/kdubb/pgjdbc-ng

--Basil Bourque