PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Hi,

I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.

So far I have the following:

Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
Netezza, parACCEL

I will also try to find out during what time these were offered, the
company that was behind this offering, the license (BSD, proprietary
etc.) and to what extend the changes made it back into the PostgreSQL
tree (none, partially, full).

So throw me whatever names you remember and I will try to research them.
Of course I would not mind if you can provide links to get the above
information as well.

regards,
Lukas

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 29 August 2006 03:46, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.
>
> So far I have the following:
>
> Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
> Netezza, parACCEL

Are you looking for PostgreSQL rebrands or POSTGRES (a la Berkely) re-brands?
AIUI Illustra is the latter but not the former.

> I will also try to find out during what time these were offered, the
> company that was behind this offering, the license (BSD, proprietary
> etc.) and to what extend the changes made it back into the PostgreSQL
> tree (none, partially, full).
>
> So throw me whatever names you remember and I will try to research them.
> Of course I would not mind if you can provide links to get the above
> information as well.

Powergres is/was offered by SRA as a commercial, threaded windows version of
PostgreSQL.  Also NuSphere/Peerdirect released a windows version of
PostgreSQL that iirc was called UltraSQL.  There was also "Pervasive
Postgres" which was recently offered by Pervasive.  I don't recall if Great
Bridge had such a repackaging, but someone else could probably chime in on
that. HTH.

--
Robert Treat

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Robert Treat schrieb:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 03:46, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.
>>
>> So far I have the following:
>>
>> Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
>> Netezza, parACCEL
>>

> Are you looking for PostgreSQL rebrands or POSTGRES (a la Berkely) re-brands?
> AIUI Illustra is the latter but not the former.

I was not going to make such a distinction.

>> I will also try to find out during what time these were offered, the
>> company that was behind this offering, the license (BSD, proprietary
>> etc.) and to what extend the changes made it back into the PostgreSQL
>> tree (none, partially, full).
>>
>> So throw me whatever names you remember and I will try to research them.
>> Of course I would not mind if you can provide links to get the above
>> information as well.
>>

> Powergres is/was offered by SRA as a commercial, threaded windows version of
> PostgreSQL.  Also NuSphere/Peerdirect released a windows version of
> PostgreSQL that iirc was called UltraSQL.  There was also "Pervasive
> Postgres" which was recently offered by Pervasive.  I don't recall if Great
> Bridge had such a repackaging, but someone else could probably chime in on
> that. HTH.

I was not sure where I should sensibly draw the line, as there will
likely be little differences in every distribution (since they tend to
make their own choices about what to backport etc). So I settled on
"rebrandings". But thats not a clear distinction either.

I guess what I really am looking to list is all the intentional "forks"
that added functionality or that removed the "PostgreSQL" label to at
least on the surface make it non obvious that it is based on PostgreSQL.

So the question is if "Pervasive Postgres" was really a modified
version. Since it kept "Postgres" in the name I would not count it among
the "rebrands".

However I guess the question is if there is a general interest to
maintain such a list from the PostgreSQL project and in that case we
maybe should discuss what everybody thinks should end up on there.

Maybe a newly created wiki would be a place to build up this list?

regards,
Lukas

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
"Lamar Owen"
Date:
On Tuesday 29 August 2006 07:50, Robert Treat wrote:
> Postgres" which was recently offered by Pervasive.  I don't recall if Great
> Bridge had such a repackaging, but someone else could probably chime in on
> that. HTH.

Yes, Great Bridge did have their own packaging.  I can dig up the name; I did
the packages for them for 7.0.x a few years back as a consultant.  Hmm,
unless I'm remembering badly, it was simply 'Great Bridge PostgreSQL' and
they did very little modification from my packaging.  Tom Lane worked for
them around that time (late 2000).  The task was to develop
cross-distribution RPMs for TurboLinux, Caldera, SuSE, and RedHat/Mandrake.
That unfortunately didn't last long.... the Caldera OpenServer 2.3 RPM in
particular was very gnarly, being that Caldera was still using rpm 2.5.x
instead of a post 3.0 RPM, and they had redefined all the RPM macros...

My contact inside GB was Terry Carlin; initial contact was with Ned Lilly (who
is still around here somewhere; hi Ned!).

Wow, nice trip down memory lane as I read through my GreatBridge
correspondence archive... :-)
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
"Lamar Owen"
Date:
On Tuesday 29 August 2006 09:25, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Tom Lane worked for
> them around that time (late 2000).

Bruce Momjian also worked for them; sorry I forgot about that, Bruce.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
1 PARI Drive
Rosman, NC  28772
(828)862-5554
www.pari.edu

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 07:50, Robert Treat wrote:
>> Postgres" which was recently offered by Pervasive.  I don't recall if Great
>> Bridge had such a repackaging, but someone else could probably chime in on
>> that. HTH.
>
> Yes, Great Bridge did have their own packaging.  I can dig up the name; I did
> the packages for them for 7.0.x a few years back as a consultant.  Hmm,
> unless I'm remembering badly, it was simply 'Great Bridge PostgreSQL' and
> they did very little modification from my packaging.  Tom Lane worked for
> them around that time (late 2000).  The task was to develop
> cross-distribution RPMs for TurboLinux, Caldera, SuSE, and RedHat/Mandrake.
> That unfortunately didn't last long.... the Caldera OpenServer 2.3 RPM in
> particular was very gnarly, being that Caldera was still using rpm 2.5.x
> instead of a post 3.0 RPM, and they had redefined all the RPM macros...
>
> My contact inside GB was Terry Carlin; initial contact was with Ned Lilly (who
> is still around here somewhere; hi Ned!).
>
> Wow, nice trip down memory lane as I read through my GreatBridge
> correspondence archive... :-)

Hey Lamar.  Yeah, I responded to Lukas, but neglected to cc the list.  By his "fork" definition, the Great Bridge
productwouldn't count.  It was in fact called Great Bridge PostgreSQL, and was basically some other stuff bundled with
the7.0 and 7.1 community server releases... RPM-i-fied by Lamar, as he says.

Cheers,
Ned

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
elein
Date:
On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 09:46:52AM +0200, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.
>
> So far I have the following:
>
> Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
> Netezza, parACCEL

I worked for (Miro' -> Montage -> Illustra)
and am still in touch with the founders of that company(ies?).
Feel free to ask me what you would like.

Keep in mind, however, the timeline of some of the older companies.
At the time of ingres and postgres' releases it was mostly universities
who open sourced.  For profits, as a rule, did not open source code.

elein
elein@varlena.com

> I will also try to find out during what time these were offered, the
> company that was behind this offering, the license (BSD, proprietary
> etc.) and to what extend the changes made it back into the PostgreSQL
> tree (none, partially, full).
>
> So throw me whatever names you remember and I will try to research them.
> Of course I would not mind if you can provide links to get the above
> information as well.
>
> regards,
> Lukas

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 03:46, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.
> >
> > So far I have the following:
> >
> > Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
> > Netezza, parACCEL
> >

> Are you looking for PostgreSQL rebrands or POSTGRES (a la Berkely) re-brands?
> AIUI Illustra is the latter but not the former.
>
> > I will also try to find out during what time these were offered, the
> > company that was behind this offering, the license (BSD, proprietary
> > etc.) and to what extend the changes made it back into the PostgreSQL
> > tree (none, partially, full).
> >
> > So throw me whatever names you remember and I will try to research them.
> > Of course I would not mind if you can provide links to get the above
> > information as well.
> >

> Powergres is/was offered by SRA as a commercial, threaded windows version of
> PostgreSQL.  Also NuSphere/Peerdirect released a windows version of

Yes, called Powergres.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Lukas,

> > > Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat
> > > Database, Netezza, parACCEL

Note that BizgresMPP, Netezza, UltraSQL and Illustra had substantial code
changes from the Postgres they branched off of.  For Netezza, for example,
it would be more accurate to say that they *used* PostgreSQL code rather
than re-branding it ... Postgres comprises only about 1/4 to 1/3 of their
code according to the Netezza president.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Josh Berkus schrieb:
> Lukas,

> Note that BizgresMPP, Netezza, UltraSQL and Illustra had substantial code
> changes from the Postgres they branched off of.  For Netezza, for example,
> it would be more accurate to say that they *used* PostgreSQL code rather
> than re-branding it ... Postgres comprises only about 1/4 to 1/3 of their
> code according to the Netezza president.

Yeah thats fine. Like I said my definition of what I am looking for is
kinda fuzzy (I will try to further clarify it - I think the best
approach so far has been to say anything that either tries to be a fork
by renaming or that is a fork by changing/adding significant code that
is not intended to be made available upstream).

Anyways thanks for all the input.

So should I work on this inside the newly build wiki? I guess I will
just ask the maintainer for an account and I will see what happens :)

Otherwise I will probably just publish the list on my open source
related stuff wiki ..

regards,
Lukas

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.
>
> So far I have the following:
>
> Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
> Netezza, parACCEL

Sun's "Thumper" [1] arguably counts at least as much as Netezza does,
in that they're both hardware appliances derived more or less from PostgreSQL.

And not sure if you'd count domain specific apps built on postgresql
like Cisco's CSR / Carrier-Sensitive Routing product[2].  If you
count that there are probably dozens of similar products that are
built on top of a bundled postgresql.

Fujitsu's FSP (Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL) [3] should probably be
added to your list.   This one's a useful one to remember when you
encounter a pointy-haired boss that wants support from a large
company - you wouldn't want to trust your business to a database that's
only supported by little companies like Oracle, would you? :-)
I think like Netezza they heavily modified postgresql; in this case
with their own storage manager.

[1]http://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featureid=2738
[2]http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/csr/usergd/ver1_1/csrover.pdf
[3]http://www.fastware.com/postgresql.html

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 30 August 2006 05:50, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Fujitsu's FSP (Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL) [3] should probably be
> added to your list.   This one's a useful one to remember when you
> encounter a pointy-haired boss that wants support from a large
> company - you wouldn't want to trust your business to a database that's
> only supported by little companies like Oracle, would you? :-)
> I think like Netezza they heavily modified postgresql; in this case
> with their own storage manager.

Yes, and fujitsu also has it's own storage engine that they use for some
clients though they also support standard postgresql under that label too
aiui.  Liam O'Duibhir, who is on this list, is probably the best contact for
more info.

--
Robert Treat

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Alvaro Herrera
Ron Mayer wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> >
> > I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.
> >
> > So far I have the following:
> >
> > Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
> > Netezza, parACCEL

TelegraphCQ seems to be related as well ...

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 09:44:19AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Ron Mayer wrote:
> > Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.
> > >
> > > So far I have the following:
> > >
> > > Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
> > > Netezza, parACCEL
>
> TelegraphCQ seems to be related as well ...

TelegraphCQ spun off as Amalgamated Insight
<http://www.aminsight.com/>, where Neil Conway worked this summer.

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
elein
Date:
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 02:50:31AM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> >
> > I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.
> >
> > So far I have the following:
> >
> > Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
> > Netezza, parACCEL
>

> Sun's "Thumper" [1] arguably counts at least as much as Netezza does,
> in that they're both hardware appliances derived more or less from PostgreSQL.

Don't count hardware appliances that use postgres.  There are a several that
I know about and probably a lot more.  You won't get them all.

--elein
elein@varlena.com

> And not sure if you'd count domain specific apps built on postgresql
> like Cisco's CSR / Carrier-Sensitive Routing product[2].  If you
> count that there are probably dozens of similar products that are
> built on top of a bundled postgresql.
>
> Fujitsu's FSP (Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL) [3] should probably be
> added to your list.   This one's a useful one to remember when you
> encounter a pointy-haired boss that wants support from a large
> company - you wouldn't want to trust your business to a database that's
> only supported by little companies like Oracle, would you? :-)
> I think like Netezza they heavily modified postgresql; in this case
> with their own storage manager.
>

> [1]http://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featureid=2738
> [2]http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/csr/usergd/ver1_1/csrover.pdf
> [3]http://www.fastware.com/postgresql.html

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 02:50 -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Sun's "Thumper" [1] arguably counts at least as much as Netezza does,
> in that they're both hardware appliances derived more or less from PostgreSQL.

As I understand it, Thumper runs Bizgres MPP, so it probably doesn't
count as a distinct Postgres derivative.

ExtenDB[1] is another company with a proprietary extension of
PostgreSQL. And as David mentions elsewhere in the thread, I can
personally confirm that Amalgamated Insight[2] are using PostgreSQL.

-Neil

[1] http://www.extendb.com/pr81.php
[2] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-07/msg01310.php

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

Date:
Should we have this information on our web site somewhere?

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Should we have this information on our web site somewhere?

I think so.

The number of successful third party products derived from postgresql
is one of the more impressive aspects of the project.

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Andreas Pflug
Ron Mayer wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Should we have this information on our web site somewhere?
>
> I think so.
>
> The number of successful third party products derived from postgresql
> is one of the more impressive aspects of the project.
I wonder if there are derivatives of other OSS dbms projects. Being a
rock-solid base for many offspins appears as a major strength of pgsql
to me, this really should be emphasized on the website.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Ron Mayer
elein wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 02:50:31AM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
>> Sun's "Thumper" [1] arguably counts at least as much as Netezza does,
>> in that they're both hardware appliances derived more or less from PostgreSQL.
>
> Don't count hardware appliances that use postgres.  There are a several that
> I know about and probably a lot more.  You won't get them all.

OTOH it would be interesting to also have a list of postgrsql
based hardware appliances too.... Can you mention the ones you know?

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
"Liam O'Duibhir"

Thanks, Robert,

Yes, just to confirm, Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL(FSP) features PostgreSQL in it's 'pure unaltered' form at the heart of our support and services market offering.

We are in the throes of 'souping up' our website (currently www.fastware.com/postgreSQL) and we will send an email to the list in the near future when that is up and running.

And while I'm here, I am still keen to hear from anyone else who is interested in developing a collaborative business-friendly document usable by all in the community entitled 'The Business case for PostgreSQL'. Check out the link http://fastware.com.au/postgresql_whitepaper_business.html

Regards,

Liam

Liam O'Duibhir - Product Manager - Open Source Software

Fujitsu Australia Software Technology

14 Rodborough Road, Frenchs Forest NSW 2086

Tel: (61-2) 9452 9068 Fax: (61-2) 9975 3779

Mob: 0423 025 852 Email: LiamOD@fast.fujitsu.com.au

http://fastware.com.au/postgresql.html

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Would it be possible to set up a page on the postgres site that would allow
people to submit examples of rebranding?

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 10:54, elein wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 02:50:31AM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> > Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> > > I am collecting a list of PostgreSQL rebrands.
> > >
> > > So far I have the following:
> > >
> > > Illustra, EnterpriseDB, Bizgres, BizgresMPP, Mammoth, Red Hat Database,
> > > Netezza, parACCEL
> >
> > Sun's "Thumper" [1] arguably counts at least as much as Netezza does,
> > in that they're both hardware appliances derived more or less from
> > PostgreSQL.
>
> Don't count hardware appliances that use postgres.  There are a several
> that I know about and probably a lot more.  You won't get them all.
>
> --elein
> elein@varlena.com
>
> > And not sure if you'd count domain specific apps built on postgresql
> > like Cisco's CSR / Carrier-Sensitive Routing product[2].  If you
> > count that there are probably dozens of similar products that are
> > built on top of a bundled postgresql.
> >
> > Fujitsu's FSP (Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL) [3] should probably be
> > added to your list.   This one's a useful one to remember when you
> > encounter a pointy-haired boss that wants support from a large
> > company - you wouldn't want to trust your business to a database that's
> > only supported by little companies like Oracle, would you? :-)
> > I think like Netezza they heavily modified postgresql; in this case
> > with their own storage manager.
> >

> > [1]http://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featureid=2738
> > [2]http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/csr/usergd/ver1_
> >1/csrover.pdf [3]http://www.fastware.com/postgresql.html

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
mdean
Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:

>Would it be possible to set up a page on the postgres site that would allow
>people to submit examples of rebranding?
>

>On Wednesday 30 August 2006 10:54, elein wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 02:50:31AM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
>>

>>>Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

IMNSHO, I firmly believe that as exhaustive a compendium of ALL users of
postgresql in the Enterprise, Web, where ever, should be included and
annotated.  Perhaps some of these companies, once reocgnized, or maybe
they would think of as "outed" perhaps would contribute their code.

By the way, what is everyone's take on the new open source SolidDB for
MYSQL product offering?

Michael

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

> IMNSHO, I firmly believe that as exhaustive a compendium of ALL users of
> postgresql in the Enterprise, Web, where ever, should be included and
> annotated.  Perhaps some of these companies, once reocgnized, or maybe
> they would think of as "outed" perhaps would contribute their code.

No, typically we get a cease and desist letter.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Should we have this information on our web site somewhere?

I just added an initial version of a list on the new wiki. There is
still plenty missing as I just wanted to get something up there quickly:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php/pgwiki:Variations

Next week I will be away from all my books, so its the perfect time to
do internet research and futher expand this page. Maybe once it has
become somewhat stable it could be moved to the main site?

regards,
Lukas

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Wednesday 30 August 2006 22:41, mdean wrote:
> By the way, what is everyone's take on the new open source SolidDB for
> MYSQL product offering?

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/unix/bsd/archives/oscon-interviews-solid-10796

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 09:25:06AM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> unless I'm remembering badly, it was simply 'Great Bridge PostgreSQL' and

That's what was the label on the CD that Bruce showed us at the
Toronto conference this summer, FWIW.

--
Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Should we have this information on our web site somewhere?
>
> I just added an initial version of a list on the new wiki. There is
> still plenty missing as I just wanted to get something up there quickly:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php/pgwiki:Variations

Ok finally had time to work on this some more .. this time on my own wiki:
http://oss.backendmedia.com/RDBMS/PgSQLVariants

I am not sure on some of the information (especially licenses). Also I
am not sure what other relevant information should be on there. Maybe a
separate column for the company name or a column with information on the
availability (from when til when the db was available). Maybe there are
some variants missing?

Please just add a comment on the wiki or reply here and I will add it to
the table. If someone points me that the necessary steps to get this
list added to the official site I would also be willing to write the
necessary patch.

regards,
Lukas

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

Date:
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Should we have this information on our web site somewhere?
> >
> > I just added an initial version of a list on the new wiki. There is
> > still plenty missing as I just wanted to get something up there quickly:
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php/pgwiki:Variations
>
> Ok finally had time to work on this some more .. this time on my own wiki:
> http://oss.backendmedia.com/RDBMS/PgSQLVariants

Correction.  There is Powergres, by SRA, and Powergres Plus by Fujitsu.
Both are proprietary.  Powergres is native Win32 port before we the
community had one, and Powergres Plus has a fujitsu-developed storage
engine replacing the community one.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>>> I just added an initial version of a list on the new wiki. There is
>>> still plenty missing as I just wanted to get something up there quickly:
>>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php/pgwiki:Variations
>> Ok finally had time to work on this some more .. this time on my own wiki:
>> http://oss.backendmedia.com/RDBMS/PgSQLVariants
>
> Correction.  There is Powergres, by SRA, and Powergres Plus by Fujitsu.
> Both are proprietary.  Powergres is native Win32 port before we the
> community had one, and Powergres Plus has a fujitsu-developed storage
> engine replacing the community one.

Ok, I guess its Powergres HA, or is this another variant of Powergres?
Also can anyone give me the name of the Great Bridge distro? Also was
that distro BSD licensed?

regards,
Lukas

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Lukas,

> Ok, I guess its Powergres HA, or is this another variant of Powergres?
> Also can anyone give me the name of the Great Bridge distro? Also was
> that distro BSD licensed?

It was "Great Bridge PostgreSQL".  I don't know whether they changed the
license.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

Date:
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> >> Ok finally had time to work on this some more .. this time on my own wiki:
> >> http://oss.backendmedia.com/RDBMS/PgSQLVariants
> >
> > Correction.  There is Powergres, by SRA, and Powergres Plus by Fujitsu.
> > Both are proprietary.  Powergres is native Win32 port before we the
> > community had one, and Powergres Plus has a fujitsu-developed storage
> > engine replacing the community one.
>
> Ok, I guess its Powergres HA, or is this another variant of Powergres?

HA is High Availability, and it is another variant.

--

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Lukas,
>
> > Ok, I guess its Powergres HA, or is this another variant of Powergres?
> > Also can anyone give me the name of the Great Bridge distro? Also was
> > that distro BSD licensed?
>
> It was "Great Bridge PostgreSQL".  I don't know whether they changed the
> license.

It was BSD licensed.

--

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> Ok, I guess its Powergres HA, or is this another variant of Powergres?
>
> HA is High Availability, and it is another variant.

Actually it seems to be simply be a combination of tools added to Powergres:

PowerGres HA solution includes:
PowerGres with PostgreSQL database Clustering Software: NE
Database Agent (for Wind
LifeKeeper (for Linux)
PowerGres Recovery Kit
PowerGres yearly support
Clustering software yearly support

So I will list it just as Powergres.

regards,
Lukas

Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

Date:
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >> Ok, I guess its Powergres HA, or is this another variant of Powergres?
> >
> > HA is High Availability, and it is another variant.
>
> Actually it seems to be simply be a combination of tools added to Powergres:
>
> PowerGres HA solution includes:
> PowerGres with PostgreSQL database Clustering Software: NE
> Database Agent (for Wind
> LifeKeeper (for Linux)
> PowerGres Recovery Kit
> PowerGres yearly support