Re: PostgreSQL rebranding - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ned Lilly
Subject Re: PostgreSQL rebranding
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 07:50, Robert Treat wrote:
>> Postgres" which was recently offered by Pervasive.  I don't recall if Great
>> Bridge had such a repackaging, but someone else could probably chime in on
>> that. HTH.
>
> Yes, Great Bridge did have their own packaging.  I can dig up the name; I did
> the packages for them for 7.0.x a few years back as a consultant.  Hmm,
> unless I'm remembering badly, it was simply 'Great Bridge PostgreSQL' and
> they did very little modification from my packaging.  Tom Lane worked for
> them around that time (late 2000).  The task was to develop
> cross-distribution RPMs for TurboLinux, Caldera, SuSE, and RedHat/Mandrake.
> That unfortunately didn't last long.... the Caldera OpenServer 2.3 RPM in
> particular was very gnarly, being that Caldera was still using rpm 2.5.x
> instead of a post 3.0 RPM, and they had redefined all the RPM macros...
>
> My contact inside GB was Terry Carlin; initial contact was with Ned Lilly (who
> is still around here somewhere; hi Ned!).
>
> Wow, nice trip down memory lane as I read through my GreatBridge
> correspondence archive... :-)

Hey Lamar.  Yeah, I responded to Lukas, but neglected to cc the list.  By his "fork" definition, the Great Bridge
productwouldn't count.  It was in fact called Great Bridge PostgreSQL, and was basically some other stuff bundled with
the7.0 and 7.1 community server releases... RPM-i-fied by Lamar, as he says.

Cheers,
Ned