Re: PostgreSQL rebranding

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL rebranding
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

PostgreSQL rebranding  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
 Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Robert Treat, )
  Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
  Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  ("Lamar Owen", )
   Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  ("Lamar Owen", )
   Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Ned Lilly, )
   Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
 Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (elein, )
 Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Ron Mayer, )
  Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Robert Treat, )
  Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Alvaro Herrera, )
   Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (David Fetter, )
  Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (elein, )
   Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Ron Mayer, )
   Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Robert Bernier, )
    Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (mdean, )
     Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
     Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Robert Bernier, )
  Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Neil Conway, )
  Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Ron Mayer, )
    Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Andreas Pflug, )
   Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
    Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
     Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Bruce Momjian, )
      Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
       Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Josh Berkus, )
        Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Bruce Momjian, )
       Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Bruce Momjian, )
        Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
         Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: PostgreSQL rebranding  ("Liam O'Duibhir", )

Josh Berkus schrieb:
> Lukas,

> Note that BizgresMPP, Netezza, UltraSQL and Illustra had substantial code
> changes from the Postgres they branched off of.  For Netezza, for example,
> it would be more accurate to say that they *used* PostgreSQL code rather
> than re-branding it ... Postgres comprises only about 1/4 to 1/3 of their
> code according to the Netezza president.

Yeah thats fine. Like I said my definition of what I am looking for is
kinda fuzzy (I will try to further clarify it - I think the best
approach so far has been to say anything that either tries to be a fork
by renaming or that is a fork by changing/adding significant code that
is not intended to be made available upstream).

Anyways thanks for all the input.

So should I work on this inside the newly build wiki? I guess I will
just ask the maintainer for an account and I will see what happens :)

Otherwise I will probably just publish the list on my open source
related stuff wiki ..

regards,
Lukas