Further SPI

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
its abilities I am embarrased.

Here is the current way to donate via SPI to PostgreSQL online:

1. Via web browser use the following path: http://www.spi-inc.org/

2. Look all around the page to see blue on blue hyper link called
"Donations" on the right hand page.

3. Click "Donations" : http://www.spi-inc.org/donations

4. Click "Donations of Money" which is an internal page ref that drops
down the page to "Donations of Money" informational paragraphs.

Read through paragraphs, see that I can "mail a check" (we just lost 90%
of our ability to receive a donation).

Further reading shows that we can click on a "Donate Now through the
network of good"... Who the heck is this? I thought I was donating
through SPI?

5. Click "Donate Now through the network of good" even though I don't
know them, the page does say.... "If I have a credit card from a
financial instituion in the United States". So I am assuming they are a
broker of some sort.

6. Once I click on the "Donate Now through the network of good" I am
taken to: "Donate Now through the network of good". Which still says not
one thing about PostgreSQL but does give me a nice link about donating
to SPI and a nice big button that says "Donate Now".

7. Click "Donate Now", I am taken to a page that allows me to donate to
SPI but says nothing about PostgreSQL.

I am able to "Designate" or "Dedication or Gift". Which means I could
write in the name PostgreSQL and in theory PostgreSQL would see the
donation.

What if I type in Postgres, Pg, PSQL, or PGSQL?
What if I mispel it? You can't make "assumptions" with people's money.
What if I say, PostgreSQL + Debian?

At this point I am going to close my browser and forget about it. Most
others will close their browser and forget about it at number 4. or 5 if
they even get that far.

Donated via SPI should be one button/link and one button link only. You
should have two options:

1. Send a check/money order
2. Via Credit Card (US card holders only)

The first link should take them to a page that describes in no more than
5 or 6 sentences how to send a check.

The second link should take them to a page that says:

Donate to PostgreSQL Project
Enter Amount
Enter Credit Card Information / Create account.

Anymore then that and we have cut our own wrists with donations.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Further SPI

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
I have to agree with Josh, this is pretty lame.  It would be a real
PITA for somone who hadn't done it before.  Isn't there anyone else we
can go through for this?

On 4/8/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
> vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
> its abilities I am embarrased.
>
> Here is the current way to donate via SPI to PostgreSQL online:
>
> 1. Via web browser use the following path: http://www.spi-inc.org/
>
> 2. Look all around the page to see blue on blue hyper link called
> "Donations" on the right hand page.
>
> 3. Click "Donations" : http://www.spi-inc.org/donations
>
> 4. Click "Donations of Money" which is an internal page ref that drops
> down the page to "Donations of Money" informational paragraphs.
>
> Read through paragraphs, see that I can "mail a check" (we just lost 90%
> of our ability to receive a donation).
>
> Further reading shows that we can click on a "Donate Now through the
> network of good"... Who the heck is this? I thought I was donating
> through SPI?
>
> 5. Click "Donate Now through the network of good" even though I don't
> know them, the page does say.... "If I have a credit card from a
> financial instituion in the United States". So I am assuming they are a
> broker of some sort.
>
> 6. Once I click on the "Donate Now through the network of good" I am
> taken to: "Donate Now through the network of good". Which still says not
> one thing about PostgreSQL but does give me a nice link about donating
> to SPI and a nice big button that says "Donate Now".
>
> 7. Click "Donate Now", I am taken to a page that allows me to donate to
> SPI but says nothing about PostgreSQL.
>
> I am able to "Designate" or "Dedication or Gift". Which means I could
> write in the name PostgreSQL and in theory PostgreSQL would see the
> donation.
>
> What if I type in Postgres, Pg, PSQL, or PGSQL?
> What if I mispel it? You can't make "assumptions" with people's money.
> What if I say, PostgreSQL + Debian?
>
> At this point I am going to close my browser and forget about it. Most
> others will close their browser and forget about it at number 4. or 5 if
> they even get that far.
>
> Donated via SPI should be one button/link and one button link only. You
> should have two options:
>
> 1. Send a check/money order
> 2. Via Credit Card (US card holders only)
>
> The first link should take them to a page that describes in no more than
> 5 or 6 sentences how to send a check.
>
> The second link should take them to a page that says:
>
> Donate to PostgreSQL Project
> Enter Amount
> Enter Credit Card Information / Create account.
>
> Anymore then that and we have cut our own wrists with donations.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
>
>              === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
>        Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>        Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>                       http://www.commandprompt.com/

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
732.331.1324

Re: Further SPI

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
What about using Sourceforge for the donation process?  It's not
great, but it's certainly better than SPI.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
732.331.1324

Re: [pgsql-www] Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
> vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
> its abilities I am embarrased.

Chill the heck out.   It's not ready yet, why do you think we haven't
advertised it?

We're currently working on accepting international credit card donations over
the web.  Have some darned patience.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Further SPI

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> What about using Sourceforge for the donation process?  It's not
> great, but it's certainly better than SPI.

I am not suggesting we move away from SPI. What I am suggesting is that
we help them improve their process. SPI is a good thing to back but they
need help.

The problem with sourceforge is it is NOT a non-profit.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-www] Further SPI

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
>> Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
>> vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
>> its abilities I am embarrased.
>
> Chill the heck out.   It's not ready yet, why do you think we haven't
> advertised it?

There is nothing to chill out about. I am making an observation about
the current state of things and offered feedback.

> We're currently working on accepting international credit card donations over
> the web.  Have some darned patience.

I am not concerned about international credit cards, and that won't
really help the situation.

My entire post was about process flow. It had nothing to do with whether
SPI was bad or good.

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-www] Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> There is nothing to chill out about. I am making an observation about
> the current state of things and offered feedback.

Ok, both the Fundraising Group and SPI are aware that it sucks and are taking
steps to change it.  We're just not done yet.   Within the next month or so,
expect to see:

1) Replacing the Donations page on www.postgresql.org with all of the relevant
links and instructions;

2) Replacing web donation via Network for Good with the easier-to-use Click
and Pledge;

3) A complete replacement of the SPI web site with one based on Plone or
Drupal.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [pgsql-www] Further SPI

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 4/8/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Ok, both the Fundraising Group and SPI are aware that it sucks and are taking
> steps to change it.  We're just not done yet.   Within the next month or so,
> expect to see...

That's good news because the current state of things is pretty bad.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
732.331.1324

Re: Further SPI

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Greg,

> What we really need to do is accept PayPal. Yes, people have issues with
> them, they are Evil Incarnate, etc., but they are also the standard way of
> moving money around via the Internet, and I can only imagine that we are
> losing out of potential $$ by not including them. Using PayPal would also
> get around the current problem, but allowing a "single click to pay by
> credit card" option.

We cannot used Paypal with the SPI bank account.  Paypal was previously used
in an attempt to commit fraud against SPI, so it will not be accepted under
any circumstances.  It's not a matter of political dislike; the negligence of
Paypal staff can cost us hundreds or thousands of dollars and even
potentially embroil us in a donor suit.

Also, I'm very dubious about the claim that people will be willing to donate
via Paypal who won't donate via Click-and-Pledge.   At most, I imagine that
we'd miss out on a couple hundred a year worth of donations from people who
can't be bothered to fill out a web form.  That's simply not worth the risk.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Further SPI

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 4/8/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Paypal was previously used in an attempt to commit
> fraud against SPI, so it will not be accepted under
> any circumstances.

I must've missed that.  I have issues with PayPal at times too, but
overall they have been pretty good.  Sucks that we can't use them.

> I'm very dubious about the claim that people will be willing to donate
> via Paypal who won't donate via Click-and-Pledge.

I pretty much agree.  In some cases it's a case of convenience; they
already have PayPal account so it's easier for them.  However, if
someone really wants to donate, they're going to fill out a simple
form... it's not that difficult.

--

Date:
> I pretty much agree.  In some cases it's a case of convenience; they
> already have PayPal account so it's easier for them.  However, if
> someone really wants to donate, they're going to fill out a simple
> form... it's not that difficult.

It is not uncommon to do click and pledge type purchases. Also keep in
mind that the donate for good allows account setup, so if the person is
willing to setup an account then they will only have to do so once.

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
> EnterpriseDB Corporation
> 732.331.1324

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Further SPI

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I agree the process could be a lot better, but one thing I will point out:
>
>> What if I type in Postgres, Pg, PSQL, or PGSQL?
>> What if I mispel it? You can't make "assumptions" with people's money.
>> What if I say, PostgreSQL + Debian?
>
> I think the first two would be fine. The donations are are entered by hand by
> the SPI treasurer, and they can certainly contact the person leaving the donation
> if there is any question.

Do you really think that SPI has the resources for such a thing?

 > However, our name is so unique that it is unlikekly
> to be mistaken for anything else! :)

It is not the point that it may be mistaken...

You know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
I know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
IRS does NOT know PgSQL == PostgreSQL

It would be a complete headache if they were ever audited not to mention
  if someone wanted to be an ass (and there are plenty on the Internet)
they could say that they didn't know that PgSQL == PostgreSQL and thus
SPI was committing fraud.

I'm not sure how they would handle that last
> case, but presumably, the money would be split 50/50 between the PG and Deb bucket.

Except that legally, they can't. There has to be a designation of the
percentages, so we would be back at square one with someone trying to
contact the donator.

> What we really need to do is accept PayPal. Yes, people have issues with
> them, they are Evil Incarnate, etc., but they are also the standard way of

Yes they are Evil Incarnate :) but as Josh says... it is not an option
and really it shouldn't be. We need to be promoting good business
practices. Paypal does not fall under that category.

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> It is not uncommon to do click and pledge type purchases. Also keep in
> mind that the donate for good allows account setup, so if the person is
> willing to setup an account then they will only have to do so once.

"Network for Good" is the name of a 501(c)3 donate online service.
http://www.networkforgood.org/

"Click and Pledge" is the name another online donation service:
http://www.clickandpledge.org/

SPI will be subscribing to Click & Pledge and phasing out Network For Good,
because:
C&P allows customization of the donation pages;
C&P doesn't require setting up an account, so donating is easier;
C&P has better reporting of donations;
C&P has support for event-specific fundraising and recurring donations;
C&P accepts credit cards from most large banks, not just US banks.

BTW, the SPI treasurer did research these services before committing to Click
& Pledge.

> You know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
> I know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
> IRS does NOT know PgSQL == PostgreSQL

*sigh*, Josh, please stick to stuff you actually know.  As the former
Development Officer of the San Francisco Opera education program, I can tell
you that the above is not significant.   The only issue with bad designations
is the delay before the gift gets moved between accounts.

> > case, but presumably, the money would be split 50/50 between the PG and
> > Deb bucket.
>
> Except that legally, they can't. There has to be a designation of the
> percentages, so we would be back at square one with someone trying to
> contact the donator.

Yes ... in that case SPI would contact the donor and get written (via e-mail)
notice of how the gift was supposed to be designated.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Further SPI

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> You know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
>> I know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
>> IRS does NOT know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
>
> *sigh*, Josh, please stick to stuff you actually know.  As the former
> Development Officer of the San Francisco Opera education program, I can tell
> you that the above is not significant.   The only issue with bad designations
> is the delay before the gift gets moved between accounts.

*sigh* as someone who is recently audited I can tell you it does matter.
I didn't say it was a show stopper. I was bringing it up as a point that
needs to be resolved.

You seem to think because I bring up a potential issue I am saying that
"THE SKY IS FALLING". Let's leave the theatrics at the door. I am just
having a conversation about things I have run into and sharing my real
life experience.

FYI, I got out of the audit with only 690.00 to pay out :). I can not
stress the need for a real good CPA enough :)

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Further SPI

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Also, I'm very dubious about the claim that people will be willing to
> donate via Paypal who won't donate via Click-and-Pledge.  At most, I
> imagine that we'd miss out on a couple hundred a year worth of donations
> from people who can't be bothered to fill out a web form.  That's simply
> not worth the risk.

Just as an aside here ... I'm one of those that 'shops online' using my
Paypal account alot ... main reason: I don't have a credit card ... and
sending out a cheque is a royal pain ...

----

Re: Further SPI

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> You know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
>> I know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
>> IRS does NOT know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
>
> *sigh*, Josh, please stick to stuff you actually know.  As the former
> Development Officer of the San Francisco Opera education program, I can tell
> you that the above is not significant.   The only issue with bad designations
> is the delay before the gift gets moved between accounts.

Stupid question here, but as far as the IRS is concerned, is the donation
being made to PostgreSQL, or is it being made to SPI?  Since its SPI that
has the 501(c), I *thought* it would be them ... but, thank god, I never
have to deal with the IRS, so its not a big concern for me :)

----

Re: Further SPI

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Stupid question here, but as far as the IRS is concerned, is the
> donation being made to PostgreSQL, or is it being made to SPI?

It would be to SPI. I actually don't even know if SPI is in the US
(although I am assuming it is). I was just making a point that the
records have to be correct otherwise there could be some admistrative
problems.

   Since
> its SPI that has the 501(c), I *thought* it would be them ... but, thank
> god, I never have to deal with the IRS, so its not a big concern for me :)

Meh, the IRS is no big deal as long as you actual pay attention and do
the paperwork. A lot of people are intimidated (and I can see why) by
the IRS but they don't need to be.

The only people that are normally in trouble by the IRS are those who
refuse to just follow the rules.

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc, Josh,

> It would be to SPI. I actually don't even know if SPI is in the US
> (although I am assuming it is). I was just making a point that the
> records have to be correct otherwise there could be some admistrative
> problems.

That's correct.

The basic approach is that you're donating to the SPI, making a "designated
gift" to either PostgreSQL or the PostgreSQL Anniversary.  If the designation
is unclear (i.e. to "PG") then it would likely be necessary to contact the
giver by e-mail to confirm the destination.   As long as both the
organization and the donor are clear on the designation at the time of
giving, it's not a problem for the IRS.

Of course, when we get our Click&Pledge account working, we won't have to rely
on people typing it into a blank.  Which will be good.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Further SPI

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Apr 8, 2006, at 5:54 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Greg,
>
>> What we really need to do is accept PayPal. Yes, people have
>> issues with
>> them, they are Evil Incarnate, etc., but they are also the
>> standard way of
>> moving money around via the Internet, and I can only imagine that
>> we are
>> losing out of potential $$ by not including them. Using PayPal
>> would also
>> get around the current problem, but allowing a "single click to
>> pay by
>> credit card" option.
>
> We cannot used Paypal with the SPI bank account.  Paypal was
> previously used
> in an attempt to commit fraud against SPI, so it will not be
> accepted under
> any circumstances.  It's not a matter of political dislike; the
> negligence of
> Paypal staff can cost us hundreds or thousands of dollars and even
> potentially embroil us in a donor suit.

Dumb question: why does stuff have to go into an SPI account? Is
there some reason why PGDG can't open an account somewhere? Sure, it
won't be tax deductable, but I bet a lot of folks won't care.

> Also, I'm very dubious about the claim that people will be willing
> to donate
> via Paypal who won't donate via Click-and-Pledge.   At most, I
> imagine that
> we'd miss out on a couple hundred a year worth of donations from
> people who
> can't be bothered to fill out a web form.  That's simply not worth
> the risk.

So why miss out on the "couple hundred a year"?

Re: Further SPI

Date:
You must admit, these steps are pretty funny, and "network of good"
sounds like a kids cartoon show:

  "The Network of Good and the Justice League team up to save the world!"

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
> vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
> its abilities I am embarrased.
>
> Here is the current way to donate via SPI to PostgreSQL online:
>
> 1. Via web browser use the following path: http://www.spi-inc.org/
>
> 2. Look all around the page to see blue on blue hyper link called
> "Donations" on the right hand page.
>
> 3. Click "Donations" : http://www.spi-inc.org/donations
>
> 4. Click "Donations of Money" which is an internal page ref that drops
> down the page to "Donations of Money" informational paragraphs.
>
> Read through paragraphs, see that I can "mail a check" (we just lost 90%
> of our ability to receive a donation).
>
> Further reading shows that we can click on a "Donate Now through the
> network of good"... Who the heck is this? I thought I was donating
> through SPI?
>
> 5. Click "Donate Now through the network of good" even though I don't
> know them, the page does say.... "If I have a credit card from a
> financial instituion in the United States". So I am assuming they are a
> broker of some sort.
>
> 6. Once I click on the "Donate Now through the network of good" I am
> taken to: "Donate Now through the network of good". Which still says not
> one thing about PostgreSQL but does give me a nice link about donating
> to SPI and a nice big button that says "Donate Now".
>
> 7. Click "Donate Now", I am taken to a page that allows me to donate to
> SPI but says nothing about PostgreSQL.
>
> I am able to "Designate" or "Dedication or Gift". Which means I could
> write in the name PostgreSQL and in theory PostgreSQL would see the
> donation.
>
> What if I type in Postgres, Pg, PSQL, or PGSQL?
> What if I mispel it? You can't make "assumptions" with people's money.
> What if I say, PostgreSQL + Debian?
>
> At this point I am going to close my browser and forget about it. Most
> others will close their browser and forget about it at number 4. or 5 if
> they even get that far.
>
> Donated via SPI should be one button/link and one button link only. You
> should have two options:
>
> 1. Send a check/money order
> 2. Via Credit Card (US card holders only)
>
> The first link should take them to a page that describes in no more than
> 5 or 6 sentences how to send a check.
>
> The second link should take them to a page that says:
>
> Donate to PostgreSQL Project
> Enter Amount
> Enter Credit Card Information / Create account.
>
> Anymore then that and we have cut our own wrists with donations.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
>
>              === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
>        Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>        Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>                       http://www.commandprompt.com/

  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: [pgsql-www] Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
All:

New donation form up:
https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12235&cid=US&a=

... so let's not hear more bitching about how hard it is to use.  ;-p

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Further SPI

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 4/13/06, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>   "The Network of Good and the Justice League team up to save the world!"

Tune in next week and watch as the Flash speeds donations across time
and space to the PostgreSQL Project.

--

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All:
>
> New donation form up:
> https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12235&cid=US&a=
>
> ... so let's not hear more bitching about how hard it is to use.  ;-p

Aw, that's too easy.  They should have to work harder to give us money.

(Reminds me of guys who want my advice about open source, but want me to
sign an NDA first.  "Uh, you asked me for help, remember?")

--

Date:
On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 23:44 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > New donation form up:
> > https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12235&cid=US&a=
> >
> > ... so let's not hear more bitching about how hard it is to use.  ;-p

Ugly, but much, much better :)

> (Reminds me of guys who want my advice about open source, but want me to
> sign an NDA first.  "Uh, you asked me for help, remember?")

Or those that want you to indemnify them against Open Source projects ;)

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-www] Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> > > New donation form up:
> > > https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12235&cid=US&a=

So, can someone actually try making a contribution via Click & Pledge and
share with me the e-mail it gives you?   I'd do it myself, but I already
put $1500 of my personal money into the conference.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [pgsql-www] Further SPI

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 13:07 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,

> So, can someone actually try making a contribution via Click & Pledge and
> share with me the e-mail it gives you?   I'd do it myself, but I already
> put $1500 of my personal money into the conference.

Done... email forthcoming directly to you.

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-www] Further SPI

From