Further SPI - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Further SPI
Date
Re: Further SPI
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Further SPI
List pgsql-www
Hello,

Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
its abilities I am embarrased.

Here is the current way to donate via SPI to PostgreSQL online:

1. Via web browser use the following path: http://www.spi-inc.org/

2. Look all around the page to see blue on blue hyper link called
"Donations" on the right hand page.

3. Click "Donations" : http://www.spi-inc.org/donations

4. Click "Donations of Money" which is an internal page ref that drops
down the page to "Donations of Money" informational paragraphs.

Read through paragraphs, see that I can "mail a check" (we just lost 90%
of our ability to receive a donation).

Further reading shows that we can click on a "Donate Now through the
network of good"... Who the heck is this? I thought I was donating
through SPI?

5. Click "Donate Now through the network of good" even though I don't
know them, the page does say.... "If I have a credit card from a
financial instituion in the United States". So I am assuming they are a
broker of some sort.

6. Once I click on the "Donate Now through the network of good" I am
taken to: "Donate Now through the network of good". Which still says not
one thing about PostgreSQL but does give me a nice link about donating
to SPI and a nice big button that says "Donate Now".

7. Click "Donate Now", I am taken to a page that allows me to donate to
SPI but says nothing about PostgreSQL.

I am able to "Designate" or "Dedication or Gift". Which means I could
write in the name PostgreSQL and in theory PostgreSQL would see the
donation.

What if I type in Postgres, Pg, PSQL, or PGSQL?
What if I mispel it? You can't make "assumptions" with people's money.
What if I say, PostgreSQL + Debian?

At this point I am going to close my browser and forget about it. Most
others will close their browser and forget about it at number 4. or 5 if
they even get that far.

Donated via SPI should be one button/link and one button link only. You
should have two options:

1. Send a check/money order
2. Via Credit Card (US card holders only)

The first link should take them to a page that describes in no more than
5 or 6 sentences how to send a check.

The second link should take them to a page that says:

Donate to PostgreSQL Project
Enter Amount
Enter Credit Card Information / Create account.

Anymore then that and we have cut our own wrists with donations.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/