Further SPI

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
its abilities I am embarrased.

Here is the current way to donate via SPI to PostgreSQL online:

1. Via web browser use the following path: http://www.spi-inc.org/

2. Look all around the page to see blue on blue hyper link called
"Donations" on the right hand page.

3. Click "Donations" : http://www.spi-inc.org/donations

4. Click "Donations of Money" which is an internal page ref that drops
down the page to "Donations of Money" informational paragraphs.

Read through paragraphs, see that I can "mail a check" (we just lost 90%
of our ability to receive a donation).

Further reading shows that we can click on a "Donate Now through the
network of good"... Who the heck is this? I thought I was donating
through SPI?

5. Click "Donate Now through the network of good" even though I don't
know them, the page does say.... "If I have a credit card from a
financial instituion in the United States". So I am assuming they are a
broker of some sort.

6. Once I click on the "Donate Now through the network of good" I am
taken to: "Donate Now through the network of good". Which still says not
one thing about PostgreSQL but does give me a nice link about donating
to SPI and a nice big button that says "Donate Now".

7. Click "Donate Now", I am taken to a page that allows me to donate to
SPI but says nothing about PostgreSQL.

I am able to "Designate" or "Dedication or Gift". Which means I could
write in the name PostgreSQL and in theory PostgreSQL would see the
donation.

What if I type in Postgres, Pg, PSQL, or PGSQL?
What if I mispel it? You can't make "assumptions" with people's money.
What if I say, PostgreSQL + Debian?

At this point I am going to close my browser and forget about it. Most
others will close their browser and forget about it at number 4. or 5 if
they even get that far.

Donated via SPI should be one button/link and one button link only. You
should have two options:

1. Send a check/money order
2. Via Credit Card (US card holders only)

The first link should take them to a page that describes in no more than
5 or 6 sentences how to send a check.

The second link should take them to a page that says:

Donate to PostgreSQL Project
Enter Amount
Enter Credit Card Information / Create account.

Anymore then that and we have cut our own wrists with donations.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Further SPI

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
I have to agree with Josh, this is pretty lame.  It would be a real
PITA for somone who hadn't done it before.  Isn't there anyone else we
can go through for this?

On 4/8/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
> vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
> its abilities I am embarrased.
>
> Here is the current way to donate via SPI to PostgreSQL online:
>
> 1. Via web browser use the following path: http://www.spi-inc.org/
>
> 2. Look all around the page to see blue on blue hyper link called
> "Donations" on the right hand page.
>
> 3. Click "Donations" : http://www.spi-inc.org/donations
>
> 4. Click "Donations of Money" which is an internal page ref that drops
> down the page to "Donations of Money" informational paragraphs.
>
> Read through paragraphs, see that I can "mail a check" (we just lost 90%
> of our ability to receive a donation).
>
> Further reading shows that we can click on a "Donate Now through the
> network of good"... Who the heck is this? I thought I was donating
> through SPI?
>
> 5. Click "Donate Now through the network of good" even though I don't
> know them, the page does say.... "If I have a credit card from a
> financial instituion in the United States". So I am assuming they are a
> broker of some sort.
>
> 6. Once I click on the "Donate Now through the network of good" I am
> taken to: "Donate Now through the network of good". Which still says not
> one thing about PostgreSQL but does give me a nice link about donating
> to SPI and a nice big button that says "Donate Now".
>
> 7. Click "Donate Now", I am taken to a page that allows me to donate to
> SPI but says nothing about PostgreSQL.
>
> I am able to "Designate" or "Dedication or Gift". Which means I could
> write in the name PostgreSQL and in theory PostgreSQL would see the
> donation.
>
> What if I type in Postgres, Pg, PSQL, or PGSQL?
> What if I mispel it? You can't make "assumptions" with people's money.
> What if I say, PostgreSQL + Debian?
>
> At this point I am going to close my browser and forget about it. Most
> others will close their browser and forget about it at number 4. or 5 if
> they even get that far.
>
> Donated via SPI should be one button/link and one button link only. You
> should have two options:
>
> 1. Send a check/money order
> 2. Via Credit Card (US card holders only)
>
> The first link should take them to a page that describes in no more than
> 5 or 6 sentences how to send a check.
>
> The second link should take them to a page that says:
>
> Donate to PostgreSQL Project
> Enter Amount
> Enter Credit Card Information / Create account.
>
> Anymore then that and we have cut our own wrists with donations.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
>
>              === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
>        Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>        Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>                       http://www.commandprompt.com/

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
732.331.1324

Re: Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
> vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
> its abilities I am embarrased.

Chill the heck out.   It's not ready yet, why do you think we haven't
advertised it?

We're currently working on accepting international credit card donations over
the web.  Have some darned patience.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Further SPI

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
>> Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
>> vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
>> its abilities I am embarrased.
>
> Chill the heck out.   It's not ready yet, why do you think we haven't
> advertised it?

There is nothing to chill out about. I am making an observation about
the current state of things and offered feedback.

> We're currently working on accepting international credit card donations over
> the web.  Have some darned patience.

I am not concerned about international credit cards, and that won't
really help the situation.

My entire post was about process flow. It had nothing to do with whether
SPI was bad or good.

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> There is nothing to chill out about. I am making an observation about
> the current state of things and offered feedback.

Ok, both the Fundraising Group and SPI are aware that it sucks and are taking
steps to change it.  We're just not done yet.   Within the next month or so,
expect to see:

1) Replacing the Donations page on www.postgresql.org with all of the relevant
links and instructions;

2) Replacing web donation via Network for Good with the easier-to-use Click
and Pledge;

3) A complete replacement of the SPI web site with one based on Plone or
Drupal.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
On 4/8/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Ok, both the Fundraising Group and SPI are aware that it sucks and are taking
> steps to change it.  We're just not done yet.   Within the next month or so,
> expect to see...

That's good news because the current state of things is pretty bad.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
732.331.1324

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Further SPI

Date:
You must admit, these steps are pretty funny, and "network of good"
sounds like a kids cartoon show:

  "The Network of Good and the Justice League team up to save the world!"

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me first say that I know the intent of the SPI is good and I did
> vote for the transition to it. However as I see the implementation of
> its abilities I am embarrased.
>
> Here is the current way to donate via SPI to PostgreSQL online:
>
> 1. Via web browser use the following path: http://www.spi-inc.org/
>
> 2. Look all around the page to see blue on blue hyper link called
> "Donations" on the right hand page.
>
> 3. Click "Donations" : http://www.spi-inc.org/donations
>
> 4. Click "Donations of Money" which is an internal page ref that drops
> down the page to "Donations of Money" informational paragraphs.
>
> Read through paragraphs, see that I can "mail a check" (we just lost 90%
> of our ability to receive a donation).
>
> Further reading shows that we can click on a "Donate Now through the
> network of good"... Who the heck is this? I thought I was donating
> through SPI?
>
> 5. Click "Donate Now through the network of good" even though I don't
> know them, the page does say.... "If I have a credit card from a
> financial instituion in the United States". So I am assuming they are a
> broker of some sort.
>
> 6. Once I click on the "Donate Now through the network of good" I am
> taken to: "Donate Now through the network of good". Which still says not
> one thing about PostgreSQL but does give me a nice link about donating
> to SPI and a nice big button that says "Donate Now".
>
> 7. Click "Donate Now", I am taken to a page that allows me to donate to
> SPI but says nothing about PostgreSQL.
>
> I am able to "Designate" or "Dedication or Gift". Which means I could
> write in the name PostgreSQL and in theory PostgreSQL would see the
> donation.
>
> What if I type in Postgres, Pg, PSQL, or PGSQL?
> What if I mispel it? You can't make "assumptions" with people's money.
> What if I say, PostgreSQL + Debian?
>
> At this point I am going to close my browser and forget about it. Most
> others will close their browser and forget about it at number 4. or 5 if
> they even get that far.
>
> Donated via SPI should be one button/link and one button link only. You
> should have two options:
>
> 1. Send a check/money order
> 2. Via Credit Card (US card holders only)
>
> The first link should take them to a page that describes in no more than
> 5 or 6 sentences how to send a check.
>
> The second link should take them to a page that says:
>
> Donate to PostgreSQL Project
> Enter Amount
> Enter Credit Card Information / Create account.
>
> Anymore then that and we have cut our own wrists with donations.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
>
>              === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
>        Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>        Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>                       http://www.commandprompt.com/

  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
All:

New donation form up:
https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12235&cid=US&a=

... so let's not hear more bitching about how hard it is to use.  ;-p

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Further SPI

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All:
>
> New donation form up:
> https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12235&cid=US&a=
>
> ... so let's not hear more bitching about how hard it is to use.  ;-p

Aw, that's too easy.  They should have to work harder to give us money.

(Reminds me of guys who want my advice about open source, but want me to
sign an NDA first.  "Uh, you asked me for help, remember?")

--

Date:
On 4/13/06, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>   "The Network of Good and the Justice League team up to save the world!"

Tune in next week and watch as the Flash speeds donations across time
and space to the PostgreSQL Project.

--

Date:
On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 23:44 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > New donation form up:
> > https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12235&cid=US&a=
> >
> > ... so let's not hear more bitching about how hard it is to use.  ;-p

Ugly, but much, much better :)

> (Reminds me of guys who want my advice about open source, but want me to
> sign an NDA first.  "Uh, you asked me for help, remember?")

Or those that want you to indemnify them against Open Source projects ;)

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Further SPI

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> > > New donation form up:
> > > https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12235&cid=US&a=

So, can someone actually try making a contribution via Click & Pledge and
share with me the e-mail it gives you?   I'd do it myself, but I already
put $1500 of my personal money into the conference.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:
On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 13:07 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,

> So, can someone actually try making a contribution via Click & Pledge and
> share with me the e-mail it gives you?   I'd do it myself, but I already
> put $1500 of my personal money into the conference.

Done... email forthcoming directly to you.

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Further SPI

From