Re: Further SPI - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Further SPI
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I agree the process could be a lot better, but one thing I will point out:
>
>> What if I type in Postgres, Pg, PSQL, or PGSQL?
>> What if I mispel it? You can't make "assumptions" with people's money.
>> What if I say, PostgreSQL + Debian?
>
> I think the first two would be fine. The donations are are entered by hand by
> the SPI treasurer, and they can certainly contact the person leaving the donation
> if there is any question.

Do you really think that SPI has the resources for such a thing?

 > However, our name is so unique that it is unlikekly
> to be mistaken for anything else! :)

It is not the point that it may be mistaken...

You know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
I know PgSQL == PostgreSQL
IRS does NOT know PgSQL == PostgreSQL

It would be a complete headache if they were ever audited not to mention
  if someone wanted to be an ass (and there are plenty on the Internet)
they could say that they didn't know that PgSQL == PostgreSQL and thus
SPI was committing fraud.

I'm not sure how they would handle that last
> case, but presumably, the money would be split 50/50 between the PG and Deb bucket.

Except that legally, they can't. There has to be a designation of the
percentages, so we would be back at square one with someone trying to
contact the donator.

> What we really need to do is accept PayPal. Yes, people have issues with
> them, they are Evil Incarnate, etc., but they are also the standard way of

Yes they are Evil Incarnate :) but as Josh says... it is not an option
and really it shouldn't be. We need to be promoting good business
practices. Paypal does not fall under that category.

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/