Re: Further SPI - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Further SPI
Date
Re: Further SPI  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Re: Further SPI  (Jim Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Greg,

> What we really need to do is accept PayPal. Yes, people have issues with
> them, they are Evil Incarnate, etc., but they are also the standard way of
> moving money around via the Internet, and I can only imagine that we are
> losing out of potential $$ by not including them. Using PayPal would also
> get around the current problem, but allowing a "single click to pay by
> credit card" option.

We cannot used Paypal with the SPI bank account.  Paypal was previously used
in an attempt to commit fraud against SPI, so it will not be accepted under
any circumstances.  It's not a matter of political dislike; the negligence of
Paypal staff can cost us hundreds or thousands of dollars and even
potentially embroil us in a donor suit.

Also, I'm very dubious about the claim that people will be willing to donate
via Paypal who won't donate via Click-and-Pledge.   At most, I imagine that
we'd miss out on a couple hundred a year worth of donations from people who
can't be bothered to fill out a web form.  That's simply not worth the risk.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions