[IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

O.k. we are on a short deadline for OSCON here is what is for certain:

Command Prompt and SRA are sponsoring a Commercial Booth for the
PostgreSQL community. Thus providing the optimum exposure as a whole.

Here is what not certain:

Should also get the community (.org pavilion) booth?

Initial thoughts are:

1. Have both booths run as PostgreSQL.Org booths
2. Both booths would be staffed at all times
3. Have scheduled mini-talks at the .org pavilion.

The idea would be that we could have 15 minute organized talks
in between normal booth operations (say every 2 hours) that talk
about something specific to PostgreSQL. Examples would be save points,
mvcc, etc...

These would be short, sweet and to the point talks with the idea around
providing detailed, dense information on the topics. The rest of the
time would be spent doing what we already do at OSCON. Promote
PostgreSQL just with two booths.

Downside to the .Org Pavilion. This year Oreilly is making the
communities responsible for EVERYTHING except the space and table. We
will have to arrange carpet, electricity, internet etc...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

Date:
My though is that it isn't really good to give presentations in booths
because it is too disturbing to surrounding booths.  Those who remember
last year how we obscured Mozilla and Gnome booths with our crowds can
attest to that.  I am thinking one booth is best and have it be both
community and company stuff.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> My though is that it isn't really good to give presentations in booths
> because it is too disturbing to surrounding booths.  Those who remember
> last year how we obscured Mozilla and Gnome booths with our crowds can
> attest to that.  I am thinking one booth is best and have it be both
> community and company stuff.

But other than that you have no problem with two booths?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > My though is that it isn't really good to give presentations in booths
> > because it is too disturbing to surrounding booths.  Those who remember
> > last year how we obscured Mozilla and Gnome booths with our crowds can
> > attest to that.  I am thinking one booth is best and have it be both
> > community and company stuff.
>
> But other than that you have no problem with two booths?

I guess I don't see the point of having two booths.  It just dilutes our
pool of people and focus.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>>Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>>My though is that it isn't really good to give presentations in booths
>>>because it is too disturbing to surrounding booths.  Those who remember
>>>last year how we obscured Mozilla and Gnome booths with our crowds can
>>>attest to that.  I am thinking one booth is best and have it be both
>>>community and company stuff.
>>
>>But other than that you have no problem with two booths?
>>

> I guess I don't see the point of having two booths.  It just dilutes our
> pool of people and focus.

O.k. noted. Our obvious thought is that the more presence we have the
better.

Anyone else?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>But other than that you have no problem with two booths?
>
> I guess I don't see the point of having two booths.  It just dilutes our
> pool of people and focus.

I agree with Bruce. I think it reflects better on our community if we
have one shared booth.

Joe

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>But other than that you have no problem with two booths?
> >>

> > I guess I don't see the point of having two booths.  It just dilutes our
> > pool of people and focus.
>
> O.k. noted. Our obvious thought is that the more presence we have the
> better.
>
> Anyone else?

I don't think that works at on convention floors.  Our biggest draw last
year was the horde of people who were always at our booth, while others
were empty --- it was dramatic.

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>>>I guess I don't see the point of having two booths.  It just dilutes our
>>>pool of people and focus.
>>
>>O.k. noted. Our obvious thought is that the more presence we have the
>>better.
>>
>>Anyone else?
>>

> I don't think that works at on convention floors.  Our biggest draw last
> year was the horde of people who were always at our booth, while others
> were empty --- it was dramatic.

Yes but this year we are going to be in a much larger facility. If we
were still at the Marriot I would agree with you.

There (in theory) will be a lot more walker traffic, like when you go to
a LinuxWorld (or at least that's how it used to be) or something like that.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On June 7, 2005 12:32 pm, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Downside to the .Org Pavilion. This year Oreilly is making the
> communities responsible for EVERYTHING except the space and table. We
> will have to arrange carpet, electricity, internet etc...

Actually we have to supply the table too.

regards

Robert Bernier

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>O.k. noted. Our obvious thought is that the more presence we have the
> >>better.
> >>
> >>Anyone else?
> >>

> > I don't think that works at on convention floors.  Our biggest draw last
> > year was the horde of people who were always at our booth, while others
> > were empty --- it was dramatic.
>
> Yes but this year we are going to be in a much larger facility. If we
> were still at the Marriot I would agree with you.
>
> There (in theory) will be a lot more walker traffic, like when you go to
> a LinuxWorld (or at least that's how it used to be) or something like that.

I am not sure it is going to be that much larger than previously.  In
fact, it hasn't increased in size in a few years, and is smaller in some
respects like the number of talks.

Even at Linuxworld I think we are better with one booth.

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> On June 7, 2005 12:32 pm, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Downside to the .Org Pavilion. This year Oreilly is making the
> > communities responsible for EVERYTHING except the space and table. We
> > will have to arrange carpet, electricity, internet etc...
>
> Actually we have to supply the table too.

Do we have to bring our own air?  :-)

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
Brian Kilpatrick
Date:
On Jun 7, 2005, at 1:03 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Robert Bernier wrote:
>> On June 7, 2005 12:32 pm, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Downside to the .Org Pavilion. This year Oreilly is making the
>>> communities responsible for EVERYTHING except the space and table. We
>>> will have to arrange carpet, electricity, internet etc...
>>
>> Actually we have to supply the table too.
>
> Do we have to bring our own air?  :-)

Ya know I have a contact with President Scroob's office on planet
Spaceball for some black market air.

Brian

Date:
>> Do we have to bring our own air?  :-)
>

> Ya know I have a contact with President Scroob's office on planet
> Spaceball for some black market air.

O.k. now that we know **exactly** how much a geek Brian is....

May the Schwartz be with you!

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On June 7, 2005 01:01 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am not sure it is going to be that much larger than previously.  In
> fact, it hasn't increased in size in a few years, and is smaller in some
> respects like the number of talks.
>
> Even at Linuxworld I think we are better with one booth.

There's going to be a total of 60 booths, commercial and opensource, at OSCON 2005.

There's a lot to be said having two booths at the same convention but on thinking back at Linux world this past
FebruaryI realised that having more than one kind of group working the booth was one of the factors that made it work,
Forthat matter, last year's OSCON had guys from all over the place which I think really added to it's success too.

There's a better opportunity for networking if we concentrate on one location rather than two.

And then of course we can really spruce up the booth by pooling our resources, remember the elephants we had hanging
overhead?

cheers

Robert Bernier

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> My though is that it isn't really good to give presentations in booths
>> because it is too disturbing to surrounding booths.  Those who remember
>> last year how we obscured Mozilla and Gnome booths with our crowds can
>> attest to that.  I am thinking one booth is best and have it be both
>> community and company stuff.
>
> But other than that you have no problem with two booths?

Wouldn't having two 'PostgreSQL.Org' booths be confusing?  Isn't a "one
stop shopping" sort of thing better, where everyone gathers instead of
spreading them out between two?

----

Date:

>>> O.k. noted. Our obvious thought is that the more presence we have the
>>> better.
>>>
>>> Anyone else?
>>>

>> I don't think that works at on convention floors.  Our biggest draw last
>> year was the horde of people who were always at our booth, while others
>> were empty --- it was dramatic.
>
> Yes but this year we are going to be in a much larger facility. If we were
> still at the Marriot I would agree with you.

Hrmmmm ... I can see the argument for ... and without knowing what the
conference area layout looks like, will the booths be at 'opposite ends'
of the conference floor?  If they are just going to be next to each other,
then it seems redundant ... if you are looking at one at each 'end' (I
realize that there is not necessarily an "end" per se), then two would
make sense ...

----

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Wouldn't having two 'PostgreSQL.Org' booths be confusing?  Isn't a "one
> stop shopping" sort of thing better, where everyone gathers instead of
> spreading them out between two?

Well that is the question at hand :)

I personally think two booths could be a huge boost. I liken it to car
dealers. I can point at 4 chevy dealerships with 10 miles. All of them
spreading the chevy joy.

I am not saying multiple booths is a good idea, I could very easily (as
my wife continually reminds me) be wrong. It just seems like a novel
way, since one of them is free to get as much exposure as possible.

We could even make fun with it:

PostgreSQL.Org East
PostgreSQL.Org West

Date:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Robert Bernier wrote:

> On June 7, 2005 01:01 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I am not sure it is going to be that much larger than previously.  In
>> fact, it hasn't increased in size in a few years, and is smaller in some
>> respects like the number of talks.
>>
>> Even at Linuxworld I think we are better with one booth.
>
> There's going to be a total of 60 booths, commercial and opensource, at
> OSCON 2005.
>
> There's a lot to be said having two booths at the same convention but on
> thinking back at Linux world this past February I realised that having
> more than one kind of group working the booth was one of the factors
> that made it work, For that matter, last year's OSCON had guys from all
> over the place which I think really added to it's success too.

One thing that works against this, though, is crowding ... by having two
booths, one would hope that things wouldn't *look* crowded ... I tend to
avoid the crowded booths at a show, and come back later when there are
hopefully less ppl, so that I can talk to someone, instead of listening to
someone else talk ...

----

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Hrmmmm ... I can see the argument for ... and without knowing what the
> conference area layout looks like, will the booths be at 'opposite ends'
> of the conference floor?  If they are just going to be next to each
> other, then it seems redundant ... if you are looking at one at each
> 'end' (I realize that there is not necessarily an "end" per se), then
> two would make sense ...

One will be in the .Org pavilion, one will be in the Commercial
Pavilion. I don't know how close they will be but they will not be next
to each other.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
elein@varlena.com (elein)
Date:
I also agree that one booth would be best.
It will be important to get the booth staffed up.
I did this last year, sort of, with David Fetter's help.

Once we decide on one or two booths we can begin
to coordinate volunteers.

Anyone got comp tickets for booth volunteers?

--elein

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> My though is that it isn't really good to give presentations in booths
> >> because it is too disturbing to surrounding booths.  Those who remember
> >> last year how we obscured Mozilla and Gnome booths with our crowds can
> >> attest to that.  I am thinking one booth is best and have it be both
> >> community and company stuff.
> >
> > But other than that you have no problem with two booths?
>
> Wouldn't having two 'PostgreSQL.Org' booths be confusing?  Isn't a "one
> stop shopping" sort of thing better, where everyone gathers instead of
> spreading them out between two?

It's like gborg and pgfoundry!  (ducks)

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 13:49, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Hrmmmm ... I can see the argument for ... and without knowing what the
> > conference area layout looks like, will the booths be at 'opposite ends'
> > of the conference floor?  If they are just going to be next to each
> > other, then it seems redundant ... if you are looking at one at each
> > 'end' (I realize that there is not necessarily an "end" per se), then
> > two would make sense ...
>
> One will be in the .Org pavilion, one will be in the Commercial
> Pavilion. I don't know how close they will be but they will not be next
> to each other.

One issue that comes to mind is that we tend to make noise about being a
community organization rather than just a piece of a specific corporate
organization (like most of the other OS DB's)... would it not be odd if
we had *no* presence in the community Pavilion?  Might it confuse people
who go looking in the community section for us and can't find any
presence for postgresql?

Robert Treat

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 13:49, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >

> > > Hrmmmm ... I can see the argument for ... and without knowing what the
> > > conference area layout looks like, will the booths be at 'opposite ends'
> > > of the conference floor?  If they are just going to be next to each
> > > other, then it seems redundant ... if you are looking at one at each
> > > 'end' (I realize that there is not necessarily an "end" per se), then
> > > two would make sense ...
> >
> > One will be in the .Org pavilion, one will be in the Commercial
> > Pavilion. I don't know how close they will be but they will not be next
> > to each other.
> >

> One issue that comes to mind is that we tend to make noise about being a
> community organization rather than just a piece of a specific corporate
> organization (like most of the other OS DB's)... would it not be odd if
> we had *no* presence in the community Pavilion?  Might it confuse people
> who go looking in the community section for us and can't find any
> presence for postgresql?

We were in the business pavillion at Linux World Boston and it seemed to
go fine.  People don't really make the distinction in a setting like
that.

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
Brian Kilpatrick
Date:
The other thing about this, is that this is a growing experience. The
mere fact that we have to discuss this means that the future is bright.

Also the final decisions on this we can carry with us into planning for
next year (which should take place) right away.

Brian

On Jun 7, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Robert Bernier wrote:

> On June 7, 2005 01:01 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I am not sure it is going to be that much larger than previously.  In
>> fact, it hasn't increased in size in a few years, and is smaller in
>> some
>> respects like the number of talks.
>>
>> Even at Linuxworld I think we are better with one booth.
>
> There's going to be a total of 60 booths, commercial and opensource,
> at OSCON 2005.
>
> There's a lot to be said having two booths at the same convention but
> on thinking back at Linux world this past February I realised that
> having more than one kind of group working the booth was one of the
> factors that made it work, For that matter, last year's OSCON had guys
> from all over the place which I think really added to it's success
> too.
>
> There's a better opportunity for networking if we concentrate on one
> location rather than two.
>
> And then of course we can really spruce up the booth by pooling our
> resources, remember the elephants we had hanging overhead?
>

> cheers
>
> Robert Bernier

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
Josh Berkus
People:

> > One will be in the .Org pavilion, one will be in the Commercial
> > Pavilion. I don't know how close they will be but they will not be
> > next to each other.

I really don't believe that we have enough people for 2 booths.   To be
successful, we need to have at least 3 people in each booth at all
times ... and 5 people is better.    We're actually going to have *less*
speakers at OSCON this year, and thus potentially less PG attendees
overall.

I think if we had 2 booths, we'd end up with times where we had 1 person in
the .org booth and 2 people in the commercial booth, and that would look
pathetic.   Far better to have a roiling mob at a single booth.  Just like
it's far better to have an audience of 150 in a room that holds 125 than
an audience of 175 in a room that holds 350.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:48:39AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >Wouldn't having two 'PostgreSQL.Org' booths be confusing?  Isn't a "one
> >stop shopping" sort of thing better, where everyone gathers instead of
> >spreading them out between two?
>
> Well that is the question at hand :)
>
> I personally think two booths could be a huge boost. I liken it to car
> dealers. I can point at 4 chevy dealerships with 10 miles. All of them
> spreading the chevy joy.

Remember Metcalfe's law?  The value of the booth grows with the square
of the number of connections.  So if you have twice the number of people
showing Postgres off to twice the number of visitors, you quadruple the
overall booth value, while having two booths would only duplicate it.

Not sure if the application of the law is correct but it sounds cool
anyway ...

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"Un poeta es un mundo encerrado en un hombre" (Victor Hugo)

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 02:49:03PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Robert Bernier wrote:
>
> >There's a lot to be said having two booths at the same convention
> >but on thinking back at Linux world this past February I realised
> >that having more than one kind of group working the booth was one
> >of the factors that made it work, For that matter, last year's
> >OSCON had guys from all over the place which I think really added
> >to it's success too.
>
> One thing that works against this, though, is crowding ... by having
> two booths, one would hope that things wouldn't *look* crowded ... I
> tend to avoid the crowded booths at a show, and come back later when
> there are hopefully less ppl, so that I can talk to someone, instead
> of listening to someone else talk ...

Although I have a similar feeling about crowded booths, I think that
from an advocacy point of view, it's better to have crowds than
one-at-a-time religious conversions, however profound those might feel.

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Hrmmmm ... I can see the argument for ... and without knowing what the
>> conference area layout looks like, will the booths be at 'opposite ends' of
>> the conference floor?  If they are just going to be next to each other,
>> then it seems redundant ... if you are looking at one at each 'end' (I
>> realize that there is not necessarily an "end" per se), then two would make
>> sense ...
>
> One will be in the .Org pavilion, one will be in the Commercial Pavilion. I
> don't know how close they will be but they will not be next to each other.

If they are in the same 'general area', then the two booth idea wouldn't
be as strong as it would if they were at opposite ends ... is there an
'online map/layout' for teh center its going to be in?  *Optimally*, you
would have a booth as close to any entrance/exits as you could get it too
... first thing they see as they enter, and last thing they see as they
leave ...

----

Date:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> But other than that you have no problem with two booths?
>>
>> Wouldn't having two 'PostgreSQL.Org' booths be confusing?  Isn't a "one
>> stop shopping" sort of thing better, where everyone gathers instead of
>> spreading them out between two?
>
> It's like gborg and pgfoundry!  (ducks)

Actually, not the same .. the benefit to having two booths that are 'far
apart' is that you stand a better chance of *everyone* seeing you ... some
ppl pre-pick where they want to go at conventions, to the point of
'mapping their route', so there is a chance that they won't even go near
the .Org pavillon since they are there to see a specific vendor ...

----

Date:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 13:49, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>

>>> Hrmmmm ... I can see the argument for ... and without knowing what the
>>> conference area layout looks like, will the booths be at 'opposite ends'
>>> of the conference floor?  If they are just going to be next to each
>>> other, then it seems redundant ... if you are looking at one at each
>>> 'end' (I realize that there is not necessarily an "end" per se), then
>>> two would make sense ...
>>
>> One will be in the .Org pavilion, one will be in the Commercial
>> Pavilion. I don't know how close they will be but they will not be next
>> to each other.
>>

> One issue that comes to mind is that we tend to make noise about being a
> community organization rather than just a piece of a specific corporate
> organization (like most of the other OS DB's)... would it not be odd if
> we had *no* presence in the community Pavilion?  Might it confuse people
> who go looking in the community section for us and can't find any
> presence for postgresql?

Consider that we 'get nothing but a booth', I'd accept the booth and put
nothing in it by a sign pointing to the man'd booth :)

Personally, we shoudl accept the .Org booth regardless of whether the
Commercial one is setup ... if we *don't*, the offer may not be made next
year, since we obviously didn't need it ...

----

Date:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, David Fetter wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 02:49:03PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Robert Bernier wrote:
>>
>>> There's a lot to be said having two booths at the same convention
>>> but on thinking back at Linux world this past February I realised
>>> that having more than one kind of group working the booth was one
>>> of the factors that made it work, For that matter, last year's
>>> OSCON had guys from all over the place which I think really added
>>> to it's success too.
>>
>> One thing that works against this, though, is crowding ... by having
>> two booths, one would hope that things wouldn't *look* crowded ... I
>> tend to avoid the crowded booths at a show, and come back later when
>> there are hopefully less ppl, so that I can talk to someone, instead
>> of listening to someone else talk ...
>
> Although I have a similar feeling about crowded booths, I think that
> from an advocacy point of view, it's better to have crowds than
> one-at-a-time religious conversions, however profound those might feel.

If one could ensure "3 per booth" at all times, then that probably
wouldn't be a big issue, but Josh does bring up a strong point about how
hard it will potentially be to get 3 for one booth, let alone 3 for two

----

Re: [IMPORTANT] OSCON 1 or 2 booths?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> Personally, we shoudl accept the .Org booth regardless of whether the
> Commercial one is setup ... if we *don't*, the offer may not be made
> next year, since we obviously didn't need it ...

Or we'll piss off O'Reilly by askign for a booth we don't need.  Remember
that the .ORG booths are at *their* cost.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Date:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> Personally, we shoudl accept the .Org booth regardless of whether the
>> Commercial one is setup ... if we *don't*, the offer may not be made
>> next year, since we obviously didn't need it ...
>
> Or we'll piss off O'Reilly by askign for a booth we don't need.  Remember
> that the .ORG booths are at *their* cost.

Just a thought ... SRA/CP are willing to put together a booth that, as far
as I've read, is meant for the .ORG ... why not accept the .Org booth
itself, and use the money saved from the booth cost for other expenses?  I
don't know how much the booth space itself costs, so not sure how much of
a different it would make, but, for instance, maybe the 'cost of the booth
itself' could be used (assuming it is allowed) to get a "big blue elephant
ballon" made that either floats (or hangs) over the booth so that you see
if from a distance, even if you aren't right beside the booth ... or
something like that?

Instead of two booths, have one, but make it much more visible ... ?

----