Links to all these news articles?

From
elein
Date:
Is someone putting links to all of these nice news articles
onto the advocacy site?  They seem critically important
as advocacy tools, imho.

elein

elein@varlena.com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com

Re: Links to all these news articles?

From
greg@turnstep.com
Date:

Re: Links to all these news articles?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Actually I looked into it last night and it's somewhat messy, which is
why it hasn't gotten done yet. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to add
at least one item in and see if I can get a feel for it though honestly
I think there are questions about the technical back end that need to be
addressed soon, we seem to already be getting ahead of ourselves with
the current setup.

Robert Treat

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 11:55, greg@turnstep.com wrote:

> > Is someone putting links to all of these nice news articles
> > onto the advocacy site?  They seem critically important
> > as advocacy tools, imho.
>
> I think that is the plan eventually. For now, the main reason
> I am posting (and forwarding) things to the list is to have them
> available in the archives and have a searchable record somewhere.
> I will look into starting a links page (if nobody else does) when
> I get some free time.
>
> Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
> PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200212041205

Re: Links to all these news articles?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> Actually I looked into it last night and it's somewhat messy, which is
> why it hasn't gotten done yet. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to add
> at least one item in and see if I can get a feel for it though honestly
> I think there are questions about the technical back end that need to be
> addressed soon, we seem to already be getting ahead of ourselves with
> the current setup.

Yep, we need to adjust the way that information is stored in the backend
because it's been proving that it's a complete pain to update without
throwing out all of sync all of the non-English versions.

It's a time and effort thing, and not a small one.  Will probably take a
good 8 hours of webmastering effort to re-arrange things and make it
maintainable.

:-/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Robert Treat

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Links to all these news articles?

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> Yep, we need to adjust the way that information is stored in the backend
> because it's been proving that it's a complete pain to update without
> throwing out all of sync all of the non-English versions.
>
> It's a time and effort thing, and not a small one.  Will probably take a
> good 8 hours of webmastering effort to re-arrange things and make it
> maintainable.

Would using a proper content engine like Bricolage help?  What are you using
at the moment?

Chris

Re: Links to all these news articles?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
<snip>
> Would using a proper content engine like Bricolage help?  What are you using
> at the moment?

Um, not sure.  It needs to be multi-lingual and allow translators to be
automatically notified whenever the English version of stuff is updated.

Haven't used Bricolage, but did take a look at it when looking at other
CMS sytems.  For the CMS usage that was needed it looked too involved,
but if it's suitable for complete multi-lingual site maintenance and
development then we might be dumb to ignore it.

Have you used Bricolage much?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Chris

- Indira Gandhi

Date:
On Wednesday 04 December 2002 08:47 pm, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Yep, we need to adjust the way that information is stored in the backend
> > because it's been proving that it's a complete pain to update without
> > throwing out all of sync all of the non-English versions.
> >
> > It's a time and effort thing, and not a small one.  Will probably take a
> > good 8 hours of webmastering effort to re-arrange things and make it
> > maintainable.
>
> Would using a proper content engine like Bricolage help?  What are you
> using at the moment?

After hearing David's interview last night, I definitely think it's worth a
closer look.  In fact it might be something that could be used for all of the
PostgreSQL web sites, lord knows we're duplicating efforts already.

Robert Treat

Re: Links to all these news articles?

From
elein
Date:
These things are very timely right now with the release.
A short term plan is called for.  It is just a list of links.

Then do the long term, big tools plan.

elein

Date:
> Um, not sure.  It needs to be multi-lingual and allow translators to be
> automatically notified whenever the English version of stuff is updated.
>
> Haven't used Bricolage, but did take a look at it when looking at other
> CMS sytems.  For the CMS usage that was needed it looked too involved,
> but if it's suitable for complete multi-lingual site maintenance and
> development then we might be dumb to ignore it.
>
> Have you used Bricolage much?

Not in the slightest - I was just wondering ;)

The docs seem to be a bit crap - I can't see if it does multilingual
easily...

Chris

Re: Links to all these news articles?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
You might think it's just a list of links, but I'd guess there's a good
3.7 billion lines of code running behind that list of links...

At least it felt like it when I added the release announcement to the
site tonight. I really can't stress what an arduous task it is to add new
content. It's so bad that a word like arduous popped in to my brain... That
said, everyone please take a look and tell me how butchered
you think it is...

:=\

Robert Treat

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:53:38 -0500, elein wrote:

> These things are very timely right now with the release. A short term
> plan is called for.  It is just a list of links.
>
> Then do the long term, big tools plan.=20=20
>
> elein
>
> On Monday 02 December 2002 18:11, elein wrote:
>> Is someone putting links to all of these nice news articles onto the
>> advocacy site?  They seem critically important as advocacy tools, imho.
>>
>> elein

Re: Links to all these news articles?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Robert,

Wow, that was really well done.

Now that you've had to deal with the present structure, do you feel a
better way of treating the content of each page would be to have it all
be one field that each translator can fill in?  Instead of the present
multi-field approach?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Robert Treat wrote:
> You might think it's just a list of links, but I'd guess there's a good
> 3.7 billion lines of code running behind that list of links...
>
> At least it felt like it when I added the release announcement to the
> site tonight. I really can't stress what an arduous task it is to add new
> content. It's so bad that a word like arduous popped in to my brain... That
> said, everyone please take a look and tell me how butchered
> you think it is...
>
> :=\
>
> Robert Treat

- Indira Gandhi

Case Studies

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
BTW Justin - how's that case study doc coming along? :)

Chris

Re: Links to all these news articles?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
One thing to note is that David might be quite willing to co-ordinate
this, as it would give a very very high profile use of Bricolage?