The PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing group needs you. :)

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi guys,

For the foreseeable future, I'm practically out of time to take care of
any Advocacy stuff.

i.e. Stuff I can do:

- Throw in a comment here and there, assist with some guidance if needed
now and again, etc.

Stuff I can't do (any more):

- Co-ordinating PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing efforts
- Technical changes to the webserver side of things
- Consistently read the list
- Much at all in relation to this

The will is there, the practical reality of being able to get everything
done is not.  :-/

At least one direct email requiring some form of response is coming in
every 5 to 8 minutes (not counting mailing lists), 24 hours a day, 5
days a week (less on weekends thankfully), and this is impacting
things.  Presently I'm dropping stuff everywhere, and that's just not
cool.

So, we need to do some organising of who does what for the PostgreSQL
Advocacy and Marketing group.

Initial list of what needs to be covered:

- Who will now do backend Advocacy site changes?  A couple of you
already have accounts on the server.

- Who knows or is willing to learn Zope and ZWiki, so that areas needing
collaboration can leverage from this combo?

- Who will drive specific initiatives?

  i.e.

  The 7.3 Press Release, and the translations of it
  The list of GUI tools
  and so forth

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: The PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing group

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Justin, did you take up sleeping again? If you cut that out of your
schedule it really frees up a good amount of time to work on things.

I'd suggest we concentrate on what needs to be done for 7.3 roll out,
since that is the most pressing issue by far, and after roll out we can
address the other areas. I can put together a list of TODO's for the
roll out so we all see what we're up against.

The one big question on scheduling the release is do we feel we need to
get it out before the long thanksgiving weekend (here in the states) or
can we target Dec 1st as an official release date? (Mark, maybe you can
speak from a development side of things on that)

Robert Treat

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 14:36, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> For the foreseeable future, I'm practically out of time to take care of
> any Advocacy stuff.
>
> i.e. Stuff I can do:
>
> - Throw in a comment here and there, assist with some guidance if needed
> now and again, etc.
>
> Stuff I can't do (any more):
>
> - Co-ordinating PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing efforts
> - Technical changes to the webserver side of things
> - Consistently read the list
> - Much at all in relation to this
>
> The will is there, the practical reality of being able to get everything
> done is not.  :-/
>
> At least one direct email requiring some form of response is coming in
> every 5 to 8 minutes (not counting mailing lists), 24 hours a day, 5
> days a week (less on weekends thankfully), and this is impacting
> things.  Presently I'm dropping stuff everywhere, and that's just not
> cool.
>
> So, we need to do some organising of who does what for the PostgreSQL
> Advocacy and Marketing group.
>
> Initial list of what needs to be covered:
>
> - Who will now do backend Advocacy site changes?  A couple of you
> already have accounts on the server.
>
> - Who knows or is willing to learn Zope and ZWiki, so that areas needing
> collaboration can leverage from this combo?
>
> - Who will drive specific initiatives?
>
>   i.e.
>
>   The 7.3 Press Release, and the translations of it
>   The list of GUI tools
>   and so forth
>

> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

>    - Indira Gandhi

Re: The PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing group

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On 25 Nov 2002, Robert Treat wrote:

> Justin, did you take up sleeping again? If you cut that out of your
> schedule it really frees up a good amount of time to work on things.
>
> I'd suggest we concentrate on what needs to be done for 7.3 roll out,
> since that is the most pressing issue by far, and after roll out we can
> address the other areas. I can put together a list of TODO's for the
> roll out so we all see what we're up against.
>
> The one big question on scheduling the release is do we feel we need to
> get it out before the long thanksgiving weekend (here in the states) or
> can we target Dec 1st as an official release date? (Mark, maybe you can
> speak from a development side of things on that)

If you need the delay, we can do it ... Bruce has some rush for Wednesday,
but if we aren't ready for it, we're just not ready ... all I need from
you guys for the release is the press release itself, so from a
'development' side, we're pretty much ready to go ...

 > > Robert Treat
>
> On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 14:36, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > For the foreseeable future, I'm practically out of time to take care of
> > any Advocacy stuff.
> >
> > i.e. Stuff I can do:
> >
> > - Throw in a comment here and there, assist with some guidance if needed
> > now and again, etc.
> >
> > Stuff I can't do (any more):
> >
> > - Co-ordinating PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing efforts
> > - Technical changes to the webserver side of things
> > - Consistently read the list
> > - Much at all in relation to this
> >
> > The will is there, the practical reality of being able to get everything
> > done is not.  :-/
> >
> > At least one direct email requiring some form of response is coming in
> > every 5 to 8 minutes (not counting mailing lists), 24 hours a day, 5
> > days a week (less on weekends thankfully), and this is impacting
> > things.  Presently I'm dropping stuff everywhere, and that's just not
> > cool.
> >
> > So, we need to do some organising of who does what for the PostgreSQL
> > Advocacy and Marketing group.
> >
> > Initial list of what needs to be covered:
> >
> > - Who will now do backend Advocacy site changes?  A couple of you
> > already have accounts on the server.
> >
> > - Who knows or is willing to learn Zope and ZWiki, so that areas needing
> > collaboration can leverage from this combo?
> >
> > - Who will drive specific initiatives?
> >
> >   i.e.
> >
> >   The 7.3 Press Release, and the translations of it
> >   The list of GUI tools
> >   and so forth
> >

> > Regards and best wishes,
> >
> > Justin Clift
> >
> > --
> > "My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those
> > who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the
> > first group; there was less competition there."
> >    - Indira Gandhi

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: The PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Justin,

> For the foreseeable future, I'm practically out of time to take care
> of
> any Advocacy stuff.

Welcome to the club.

> Initial list of what needs to be covered:
>
> - Who will now do backend Advocacy site changes?  A couple of you
> already have accounts on the server.

I have an account on techdocs, but I don't know how to utilize it to
make changes to the site.

> - Who knows or is willing to learn Zope and ZWiki, so that areas
> needing
> collaboration can leverage from this combo?

Not me ... anyone else?

> - Who will drive specific initiatives?

Specific initiatives are less of a problem.   They are generally
motivated by whomever proposed them.

So, question:  Do you want your name off of the 7.3 press release?

Otherwise, I see the following areas of Advocacy admin:

1) The Advocacy Web Site
2) List and community admin (i.e. arbitrator)
3) General press relations
4) Press releases

I think Robert and I can drive 3&4 easily, especially with your and
Marc's occasional help (speaking of which, I'll need the list of
translators for Advocacy).

I also think that volunteers/elections/assignments can wait until after
the 7.3 press release.

-Josh Berkus

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2002, Robert Treat wrote:
<snip>
> > I'd suggest we concentrate on what needs to be done for 7.3 roll out,
> > since that is the most pressing issue by far, and after roll out we can
> > address the other areas. I can put together a list of TODO's for the
> > roll out so we all see what we're up against.
<snip>

Robert, do you feel that between Josh and yourself, plus other
contributors, we can have a finalised English version ~24 hours from
now?

It's probably also a good move to organise who the translators for each
langauge will be and get them prepared, as there are a few people that
were previously unsure if they'd have time to do it.

Anyway, it's in your hands now.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: The PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketinggroup needs

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

<snip>
> > - Who will now do backend Advocacy site changes?  A couple of you
> > already have accounts on the server.
>
> I have an account on techdocs, but I don't know how to utilize it to
> make changes to the site.

No stress, can show you how to do this pretty easily.

<snip>
> So, question:  Do you want your name off of the 7.3 press release?

Not sure.

Do we have any guesstimates on how many people would be likely to call
or email?

> Otherwise, I see the following areas of Advocacy admin:
>
> 1) The Advocacy Web Site
> 2) List and community admin (i.e. arbitrator)
> 3) General press relations
> 4) Press releases
>
> I think Robert and I can drive 3&4 easily, especially with your and
> Marc's occasional help (speaking of which, I'll need the list of
> translators for Advocacy).
>
> I also think that volunteers/elections/assignments can wait until after
> the 7.3 press release.

Agreed.  This stuff is important, but I can continue dropping things for
a few more days if needed.  ;-)

Number 1, probably won't be all that hard either, just a bit of initial
grunt-work for a PHP skilled person.  Already have a solid idea how to
make the site a lot more updatable and easy to manage for everyone.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Date:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > > - Who will now do backend Advocacy site changes?  A couple of you
> > > already have accounts on the server.
> >
> > I have an account on techdocs, but I don't know how to utilize it to
> > make changes to the site.
>
> No stress, can show you how to do this pretty easily.
>
> <snip>
> > So, question:  Do you want your name off of the 7.3 press release?
>
> Not sure.
>
> Do we have any guesstimates on how many people would be likely to call
> or email?

In the past, I've had about zero ppl call, and it isn't like my
information isn't publicly avaialable through a half dozen 'easy to
search' places ...

Date:
On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 15:32, Justin Clift wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
> >
> > On 25 Nov 2002, Robert Treat wrote:
> <snip>
> > > I'd suggest we concentrate on what needs to be done for 7.3 roll out,
> > > since that is the most pressing issue by far, and after roll out we can
> > > address the other areas. I can put together a list of TODO's for the
> > > roll out so we all see what we're up against.
> <snip>
>
> Robert, do you feel that between Josh and yourself, plus other
> contributors, we can have a finalised English version ~24 hours from
> now?

We can shoot for it. Here's the todo list:
* remove "best is better than ever" verbiage
* add in developer quote (I haven't heard from peter yet)
* reword all changes paragraph
* final spell / grammar check press release

It would also be nice if someone could spruce up the "all changes" page.
You don't need access to the server, just grab the web page and fix it
up and send it to me (or a patch even) and I'll put it in place.

> It's probably also a good move to organise who the translators for each
> langauge will be and get them prepared, as there are a few people that
> were previously unsure if they'd have time to do it.

I don't have a list of translators so someone needs to get that list
together. I'd suggest sending out an email to all the translators today
to prep them and find out if we can get translations back by Wednesday
morning.

> Anyway, it's in your hands now.

This is the part where I say something spirited and uplifting that
motivates everyone to give 110% rather than something wry and cynical
like I normally do, right? :-)

Robert Treat

Re: The PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing group

From
Ewald Geschwinde

Justin Clift schrieb:

>Hi guys,
>
>For the foreseeable future, I'm practically out of time to take care of
>any Advocacy stuff.
>
>i.e. Stuff I can do:
>
>- Throw in a comment here and there, assist with some guidance if needed
>now and again, etc.
>
>Stuff I can't do (any more):
>
>- Co-ordinating PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing efforts
>- Technical changes to the webserver side of things
>- Consistently read the list
>- Much at all in relation to this
>
>The will is there, the practical reality of being able to get everything
>done is not.  :-/
>
>At least one direct email requiring some form of response is coming in
>every 5 to 8 minutes (not counting mailing lists), 24 hours a day, 5
>days a week (less on weekends thankfully), and this is impacting
>things.  Presently I'm dropping stuff everywhere, and that's just not
>cool.
>
>So, we need to do some organising of who does what for the PostgreSQL
>Advocacy and Marketing group.
>
>Initial list of what needs to be covered:
>
>- Who will now do backend Advocacy site changes?  A couple of you
>already have accounts on the server.
>

>- Who knows or is willing to learn Zope and ZWiki, so that areas needing
>collaboration can leverage from this combo?

I think that is my duty :-)
I want to get into zope and python.

>- Who will drive specific initiatives?
>

>  i.e.
>
>  The 7.3 Press Release, and the translations of it
>  The list of GUI tools
>  and so forth

German translations this way :-)

Maybe someone is making a list of names who will be responsible for what?

Hopefully some persons want to do the same things. So if we have "drop
outs" we have one who knows the stuff

Regards Ewald

Re: The PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing group

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> We can shoot for it. Here's the todo list:
> * remove "best is better than ever" verbiage

I've done this.

> * add in developer quote (I haven't heard from peter yet)

Neil said OK if Peter doesn't respond.

> * reword all changes paragraph

Do you have final wording change on this?

> * final spell / grammar check press release
>
> It would also be nice if someone could spruce up the "all changes" page.
> You don't need access to the server, just grab the web page and fix it
> up and send it to me (or a patch even) and I'll put it in place.

Where's the existing page?

> I don't have a list of translators so someone needs to get that list
> together. I'd suggest sending out an email to all the translators today
> to prep them and find out if we can get translations back by Wednesday
> morning.

Um, only Justin has a complete list of translators.  Justin?

> This is the part where I say something spirited and uplifting that
> motivates everyone to give 110% rather than something wry and cynical
> like I normally do, right? :-)

Rah-rah, go team!

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: The PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing group

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert, Marc,

> > Robert, do you feel that between Josh and yourself, plus other
> > contributors, we can have a finalised English version ~24 hours from
> > now?

Regrettably, I can give you no further significant help between now and
Wednesday AM.  Tommorrow I am spending 7 hours in a car, and tonight I have
to fix a client's billing system so I can leave tommorrow.

If you end up holding the release until Dec. 1, I can:
1. Coordinate the translators;
2. Polish the "changes" page and send it to Robert
3. Help with the e-mail out.

Robert, I will send you my press list privately tonight in case you go ahead
on wednesday.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: The PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing group

From
Robert Treat
Date:
We have an Afilias issue I'm working on and an issue of language encodings
that needs to be addressed before we can send the press release off to the
translators. Given I will be on my own field trip starting tomorrow evening,
I don't think we're going to be ready to go this Wednesday.  Note that I'm
not against doing it, but with Justin, Josh, and myself all somewhat out of
pocket the next few days....

Robert Treat