Postgres article

From
"Ted Striker"
Date:
Well, Postgres only got ONE LINE in this article,
but at least it got a mention.

But the line that got me laughing was:

"There are a few open source databases out there," Aberdeen Group research director Bill Claybrook told NewsFactor.
"[But]if you look at the functionality between MySQL and Oracle 9i, there are some big differences."

No offense to the MySQL people, but a fairer comparison is
MySQL vs. Access and Postgres vs. Oracle.

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/printer/19752/

Powered by Outblaze

Re: Postgres article

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Ted,

> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/printer/19752/

I posted the following using their online response form.  Reporters are
usually glad to augment their future articles if you point them to a
souce of information.   The article probably only covered MySQL because
that's the only OS database that anyone at NewsFactor knew anything
about.

More that that, this article points out the reason that we need press
releases.

My letter below.

"Editors,

I appreciated Ms. Lyman's recent article on Open Source databases.
 It's gratifying to see the business press paying more attention to the
alternatives to expensive proprietary databases.

However, I feel that the article focused a bit too much on MySQL to the
exclusion of all other Open Source databases.  You are probably not
aware that PostgreSQL, SAP DB, and Phoenix all have substantial
installed user bases, and offer quite a range of features for different
users.

Particularly, the comparison of Oracle with MySQL is a bit uninformed.
 MySQL was designed to be a "lightweight" and fast database, and not to
compete with Oracle.  PostgreSQL and SAP DB are much more comparable to
Oracle in their features and scalability.   This sort of comparison
does a disservice, both to MySQL and to the other Open Source
databases.

I realize that information on Open Source software can often be hard to
find, and difficult to understand.  That's why the PostgreSQL advocacy
team, led by Justin Clift (justin@postgresql.org), put up this site for
PostgreSQL information:
http://advocacy.postgresql.org

Please feel free to contact the advocacy team if you need information
on PostgreSQL for future articles.

Thanks for your attention,
Josh Berkus
Volunteer, PostgreSQL Project"

Re: Postgres article

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
> More that that, this article points out the reason that we need press
> releases.

I have a list of several hundred magazine and publication editors and such
that I use for sending out PgSQL related press releases ... Justin and I
have already discussed doing up a strong press release for this release as
well and making sure that that gets out to the list ...

Re: Postgres article

From
"Ted Striker"
Date:
Excellent work guys. Josh's letter can serve as a sort of
template for sending in to editors.

Marc sounds like you are ready to bring out the big
guns!