Re: DRAFT: v7.3 Release Announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: DRAFT: v7.3 Release Announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:14:10PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> By "general tech press" I mean, for example, News.com and the
> Washingtion Post Business/Tech page.   As opposed to "open source
> press", such as NewsForge and The Register, who would probably cover us
> even if we just forwarded them a mailing list message.

In that case, I think we can safely say that the general tech world
doesn't really know what PostgreSQL is.  Oracle's attempt to attack
PostgreSQL during the .org bids was either totally uninformed about
what PostgreSQL is; or, it was _not_ uninformed, but it was relying
on the general lack of knowledge.  One way or another, it was
obviously relying on the general impresison that free RDBMS == MySQL
(and that in a version without, e.g., InnoDB tables).  This is just
an observation, mind you; I barely even read the tech press, never
mind understand what is likely to attract attention from them.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110