Re: DRAFT: v7.3 Release Announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: DRAFT: v7.3 Release Announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Geoff,

> Wow Josh, that's a bunch of assumptions I wouldn't make.
> Heck, even most of the OS companies that bundle postgresql are
> clueless about it, and they're way ahead of the CIO/CTO readers
> that I was aiming this at, based on what the media have asked
> us to provide them with in news items we have on postgresql...

Hey, my opinions are for discussion.  That's why I posted them before
starting a re-write.   What do other people think?  Justin?

> Marc, as this is a press release for the community, not
> PostgreSQL, Inc., it seems I may have wasted everyone's time
> by missing the intended audience, which wasn't my intention...
> I apologize for missing the mark after the *huge* buildup you
> gave about me doing up this draft.

Maybe *I* made a mistaken assumption.   I assumed that we were working
on a press release for the general tech press.   Do we have other press
releases to do?

> As I said, ( - no harm, no foul :) ... "even if you decide to
> throw it out and start over ;)"

Yeah.   Personal pride has no place in a press release ... mine on OOo
have been cut to ribbons, more than once.

> It sounds like Josh is very clear on this needing to be targeted
> for a much more familiar and sophisticated media audience than I
> know, so hopefully he'll put the right message together and let
> the PGDG group adjust it to language and focus that is suitable.

Whoa! Let's hash this out first.  For one thing, Justin is Lead for
Advocacy, not me ... I was just stating my opinion.

> Josh, you apparently have a much different set of media people
> you're talking with, so I'd encourage you to collaborate with
> Justin, Bill Pollock and others to help compile an internal
> PGDG media / press list that will be specific to the needs and
> goals of the postgresql community.

Yeah, I still need to sort that out.   I have:
1) The media people I personally know (Roblimo, Stephen, Noah);
2) The list from Linux World Expo;
3) The OpenOffice.org press list
Obviously, I can't use list (3) from PostgreSQL without official
permission, and I'm still sorting out who is in groups 1) and 2).

-Josh Berkus