Fair large change to contributors

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 20:42:48 -0800

"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
Dave Page
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> O.k. patch is attached, it looks pretty good on my sandbox but will
> welcome feedback. The specifics are below:
>
> * Removes developers/bios
> * Creates community/contributors
> * Removes core (per Bruce M)

You what?

/D

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Anyway, I would be curious to know what other core members think...

I agree with Marc. The Core section should not be removed.

I find it slightly amusing that you've done that, yet left a dedicated
section for Hackers Emeritus.

/D

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 08:42:48PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> O.k. patch is attached, it looks pretty good on my sandbox but will
> welcome feedback. The specifics are below:
>
> * Removes developers/bios
> * Creates community/contributors
> * Removes core (per Bruce M)
> * Adds Active Contributors
> * Adds Occasional Contributors

Couple of comments, apart from the obvious "let's not drop -core":

* I suggest we leave it at the old URL as well, and not remove it. For ppl
coming in from old links. It can still be community section, and it can
still have a different title, though

* Let's not delete the old developer.php file and create a new identical
one. Modify the one that's there instead. Filenames don't have to match,
that's what the dispatcher takes care of.

* You added a new template, but didn't remove the old one. My suggestion -
keep the old one, don't add the new one.

//Magnus

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 08:47 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > Anyway, I would be curious to know what other core members think...
>
> I agree with Marc. The Core section should not be removed.

+1 from me...
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,
>ends on exactly what he means by discipline. Core finally stepping
> up on the naming argument could fall into that.

Yeah, except that apparently everyone decided that I was wrong to do that.

--Josh

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> O.k. patch is attached, it looks pretty good on my sandbox but will
> welcome feedback. The specifics are below:
>
> * Removes developers/bios
> * Creates community/contributors
> * Removes core (per Bruce M)
> * Adds Active Contributors
> * Adds Occasional Contributors

I'm not clear on why we're overhauling the contributors page.  What's
wrong with the old format?

I'm not necessarily objecting to your changes, but you should probably
explain the reasoning behind them.

--Josh

Date:
On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:44:16PM +0530, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >ends on exactly what he means by discipline. Core finally stepping
> >up on the naming argument could fall into that.
>
> Yeah, except that apparently everyone decided that I was wrong to do that.

Really? I haven't heard anybody complaining that -core finally spoke up on
that. For the record, *I* think it was very good that you did.

(assuming we're talking about the same thing - postgres vs postgresql,
right?)

//Magnus

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:44:16PM +0530, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> ends on exactly what he means by discipline. Core finally stepping
>>> up on the naming argument could fall into that.
>> Yeah, except that apparently everyone decided that I was wrong to do that.
>
> Really? I haven't heard anybody complaining that -core finally spoke up on
> that. For the record, *I* think it was very good that you did.

exactly that's my thought too ...

Stefan

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 08:42:48PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> O.k. patch is attached, it looks pretty good on my sandbox but will
>> welcome feedback. The specifics are below:
>>
>> * Removes developers/bios
>> * Creates community/contributors
>> * Removes core (per Bruce M)
>> * Adds Active Contributors
>> * Adds Occasional Contributors
>
> Couple of comments, apart from the obvious "let's not drop -core":
>
> * I suggest we leave it at the old URL as well, and not remove it. For ppl
> coming in from old links. It can still be community section, and it can
> still have a different title, though

This should be a redirect, which I can put in place with PHP. We should
not duplicate content like that.

> * Let's not delete the old developer.php file and create a new identical
> one. Modify the one that's there instead. Filenames don't have to match,
> that's what the dispatcher takes care of.

That would be inconsistent with the rest of the portal layout.

> * You added a new template, but didn't remove the old one. My suggestion -
> keep the old one, don't add the new one.

I should remove the old one. I must of missed it, sorry.

Joshua D. Drake

Dave Page wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Anyway, I would be curious to know what other core members think...
>
> I agree with Marc. The Core section should not be removed.
>
> I find it slightly amusing that you've done that, yet left a dedicated
> section for Hackers Emeritus.

That is what was discussed :). Again, keep in mind the patch doesn't do
any of this. It is all controlled by the DML in the developers_* tables.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
>  >ends on exactly what he means by discipline. Core finally stepping
>> up on the naming argument could fall into that.
>
> Yeah, except that apparently everyone decided that I was wrong to do that.

You didn't, Dave Page did if I recall. I am not talking about your
Advocacy coup ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> --Josh

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

In summary for this patch. The patch does not change the display of the
contributors except to move it to /community (where it belongs imo).
What controls the display of the contributors is the database.

If we want to keep core at top, just don't change type 1 to type 3 where
type = 1. Core will remain in place at the top. (I already posted about
this but I think people glossed over it since it was late).

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In summary for this patch. The patch does not change the display of the
> contributors except to move it to /community (where it belongs imo).
> What controls the display of the contributors is the database.
>
> If we want to keep core at top, just don't change type 1 to type 3 where
> type = 1. Core will remain in place at the top. (I already posted about
> this but I think people glossed over it since it was late).

It's not that we glossed over anything, but that the entire proposal was
being considered rather than just the specifics of what the patch did
vs. the DML.

/D

Date:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> O.k. patch is attached, it looks pretty good on my sandbox but will
> >> welcome feedback. The specifics are below:
> >>
> >> * Removes developers/bios
> >> * Creates community/contributors
> >> * Removes core (per Bruce M)
> >> * Adds Active Contributors
> >> * Adds Occasional Contributors
> >
> > Couple of comments, apart from the obvious "let's not drop -core":
> >
> > * I suggest we leave it at the old URL as well, and not remove it. For ppl
> > coming in from old links. It can still be community section, and it can
> > still have a different title, though
>
> This should be a redirect, which I can put in place with PHP. We should
> not duplicate content like that.

It's not really duplicate. Just add two rows in the dispatcher.

> > * Let's not delete the old developer.php file and create a new identical
> > one. Modify the one that's there instead. Filenames don't have to match,
> > that's what the dispatcher takes care of.
>
> That would be inconsistent with the rest of the portal layout.

that'sjust temporary. The system is set up so you can do this stuff without kiling version control, by using the
dispatcher.Please do so.

> > * You added a new template, but didn't remove the old one. My suggestion -
> > keep the old one, don't add the new one.
>
> I should remove the old one. I must of missed it, sorry.

No, you should *use* the old one...

/Magnus

Dave Page wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In summary for this patch. The patch does not change the display of the
>> contributors except to move it to /community (where it belongs imo).
>> What controls the display of the contributors is the database.
>>
>> If we want to keep core at top, just don't change type 1 to type 3 where
>> type = 1. Core will remain in place at the top. (I already posted about
>> this but I think people glossed over it since it was late).
>
> It's not that we glossed over anything, but that the entire proposal was
> being considered rather than just the specifics of what the patch did
> vs. the DML.

Except the "patch" doesn't remove core ;)... Anyway, I am not trying to
argue semantics. My point is if the patch is applied as is without
modification to the DML, the page is going to look just like the
existing developers page, just under community.

Depending on "what" DML is applied will effect the display of that page
dramatically.

It seems at lease core consensus :P is to not remove their position at
the top of the page, which I don't really care about so.... don't apply
that update.

I would still like to apply:

update developers_types set typename = 'Active contributors' where type
= '3';
update developers_types set typename = 'Occasional contributors' where
type = '4';

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> * I suggest we leave it at the old URL as well, and not remove it. For ppl
>>> coming in from old links. It can still be community section, and it can
>>> still have a different title, though
>> This should be a redirect, which I can put in place with PHP. We should
>> not duplicate content like that.
>
> It's not really duplicate. Just add two rows in the dispatcher.

If it presents the same content under /developers as under /community it
is duplicate and that is dumb. I would agree that having a redirect is
appropriate.

>>> * Let's not delete the old developer.php file and create a new identical
>>> one. Modify the one that's there instead. Filenames don't have to match,
>>> that's what the dispatcher takes care of.
>> That would be inconsistent with the rest of the portal layout.
>
> that'sjust temporary. The system is set up so you can do this stuff without kiling version control, by using the
dispatcher.Please do so.

Exactly how are we killing version control? Subversion handles removal
of files just fine.

>>> * You added a new template, but didn't remove the old one. My suggestion -
>>> keep the old one, don't add the new one.
>> I should remove the old one. I must of missed it, sorry.
>>
> No, you should *use* the old one...

Disagreements are the heart of open source.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Fair large change to contributors.... part deux

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Attachment

Date:
> >> This should be a redirect, which I can put in place with PHP. We should
> >> not duplicate content like that.
> >
> > It's not really duplicate. Just add two rows in the dispatcher.
>
> If it presents the same content under /developers as under /community it
> is duplicate and that is dumb. I would agree that having a redirect is
> appropriate.

Matter of definition. Data exists once and is presented twice. Kinda like normalisation :-P

> >> That would be inconsistent with the rest of the portal layout.
> >
> > that'sjust temporary. The system is set up so you can do this stuff without kiling version control, by using the
dispatcher.Please do so.

> Exactly how are we killing version control? Subversion handles removal
> of files just fine.

Bad choice of words. But if your patch is applied, I can't see a diff of your changes. And it's still logged as one ad
andone remove. so I can't easily diff between tomorrows version and one two steps back.

And since there really is no gain, imnsho, I see no reason to take away that ability.

> >> I should remove the old one. I must of missed it, sorry.
> >>
> > No, you should *use* the old one...
> >

> Disagreements are the heart of open source.

Indeed :)

/Magnus

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:04:52 +0100
"Magnus Hagander" <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Bad choice of words. But if your patch is applied, I can't see a diff
> of your changes. And it's still logged as one ad and one remove. so I
> can't easily diff between tomorrows version and one two steps back.
> And since there really is no gain, imnsho, I see no reason to take
> away that ability.

O.k. I just checked and if I use svn mv instead of svn rm and svn add,
then the changelog will follow. That should remove your concern yes?

jd@scratch:~/test/test$ svn add test
A         test
jd@scratch:~/test/test$ svn commit -m "this is a test"
Adding         test
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 1.
jd@scratch:~/test/test$ svn mv test test2
A         test2
D         test
jd@scratch:~/test/test$ svn commit -m "moving test2"
Deleting       test
Adding         test2

Committed revision 2.
jd@scratch:~/test/test$ svn log
jd@scratch:~/test/test$ svn log test2
r2 | jd | 2007-12-04 15:42:52 -0800 (Tue, 04 Dec 2007) | 1 line

moving test2
r1 | jd | 2007-12-04 15:42:40 -0800 (Tue, 04 Dec 2007) | 1 line

this is a test
jd@scratch:~/test/test$ svn log test
svn: 'test' is not under version control
jd@scratch:~/test/test$

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
- --
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:04:52 +0100
> "Magnus Hagander" <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> >
> > Bad choice of words. But if your patch is applied, I can't see a diff
> > of your changes. And it's still logged as one ad and one remove. so I
> > can't easily diff between tomorrows version and one two steps back.
> > And since there really is no gain, imnsho, I see no reason to take
> > away that ability.
>
> O.k. I just checked and if I use svn mv instead of svn rm and svn add,
> then the changelog will follow. That should remove your concern yes?

Magnus' concern is svn diff, which does not really work.  (I've been
annoyed by this).

--
Alvaro Herrera                               http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org/
"Postgres is bloatware by design: it was built to housePhD theses." (Joey Hellerstein, SIGMOD annual conference 2002)

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 03 December 2007 23:42, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> O.k. patch is attached, it looks pretty good on my sandbox but will
> welcome feedback. The specifics are below:
> * Adds Active Contributors
> * Adds Occasional Contributors

I'm not sure what reasoning spawned this change, but I would object to it
myself, mostly on grounds that the people in those lists have been
categorized on significance of their contribution (Major), not frequency of
it (Active).

On a side note, whilst everyone has been discussing reshaping the lists in
thier own vision, I think what has been fairly overlooked is the task of
shuffling some of our Majors and Others between those two categories (at
least I always thought that was an important part when I was maintaining the
information, I'm not sure what the current ideas behind the thing are)

--
Robert Treat

Date:

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In summary for this patch. The patch does not change the display of the
>>> contributors except to move it to /community (where it belongs imo).
>>> What controls the display of the contributors is the database.
>>>
>>> If we want to keep core at top, just don't change type 1 to type 3 where
>>> type = 1. Core will remain in place at the top. (I already posted about
>>> this but I think people glossed over it since it was late).
>>
>> It's not that we glossed over anything, but that the entire proposal was
>> being considered rather than just the specifics of what the patch did
>> vs. the DML.
>
> Except the "patch" doesn't remove core ;)... Anyway, I am not trying to
> argue semantics. My point is if the patch is applied as is without
> modification to the DML, the page is going to look just like the
> existing developers page, just under community.

Well, +1 to database this.

Can you hack us something together for donors, too?  ;-)

--Josh

Date:
> > Except the "patch" doesn't remove core ;)... Anyway, I am not trying to
> > argue semantics. My point is if the patch is applied as is without
> > modification to the DML, the page is going to look just like the
> > existing developers page, just under community.
>
> Well, +1 to database this.

Uh, I databased this a long time ago...

> Can you hack us something together for donors, too?  ;-)

I'm sure someone can if you tell us what you need :)

/Magnus

Date:
> > > Bad choice of words. But if your patch is applied, I can't see a diff
> > > of your changes. And it's still logged as one ad and one remove. so I
> > > can't easily diff between tomorrows version and one two steps back.
> > > And since there really is no gain, imnsho, I see no reason to take
> > > away that ability.
> >
> > O.k. I just checked and if I use svn mv instead of svn rm and svn add,
> > then the changelog will follow. That should remove your concern yes?
>
> Magnus' concern is svn diff, which does not really work.  (I've been
> annoyed by this).

correct. And I repeat that I see no actual gain countering this annoyance... If there was enough on the plus side, I'd
behappy to live with it...

/Magnus

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote:

>> Except the "patch" doesn't remove core ;)... Anyway, I am not trying
>> to argue semantics. My point is if the patch is applied as is without
>> modification to the DML, the page is going to look just like the
>> existing developers page, just under community.
>
> Well, +1 to database this.

Uhmmm it is databased.

> Can you hack us something together for donors, too?  ;-)

It's on the list. I understand how the code works now.

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> O.k. I just checked and if I use svn mv instead of svn rm and svn add,
>>> then the changelog will follow. That should remove your concern yes?
>> Magnus' concern is svn diff, which does not really work.  (I've been
>> annoyed by this).
>
> correct. And I repeat that I see no actual gain countering this annoyance... If there was enough on the plus side,
I'dbe happy to live with it...

Consistency is more important than general annoyance but I am trying to
find a happy medium here. What if I leave the old file in place but
empty with a comment of why? Thus the svn diff etc... stays intact.

Considering we are now talking about contributors not developer bios
that should be sufficient.

I will admit that I didn't change the underlying tables. I wanted to but
didn't because I am unaware of what else may call to them.

Date:
On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 11:23:58PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>Magnus' concern is svn diff, which does not really work.  (I've been
> >>annoyed by this).
> >
> >correct. And I repeat that I see no actual gain countering this
> >annoyance... If there was enough on the plus side, I'd be happy to live
> >with it...
>
> Consistency is more important than general annoyance but I am trying to

The system is *specifically designed* not to lock filenames to URLs. I
don't understand why you have such a hard time to accept that ;-)

For example, hosting pages are served by professional.php. Techdocs are
served by communitydocs.php. That is *intended*.

The only place where filenames are supposed to be "consistent" with URLs is
in the static area of /templates/.

> find a happy medium here. What if I leave the old file in place but
> empty with a comment of why? Thus the svn diff etc... stays intact.

Eh, that's just plain stupid, really. If that's the option, then I'd rather
see the file removed.

> Considering we are now talking about contributors not developer bios
> that should be sufficient.
>
> I will admit that I didn't change the underlying tables. I wanted to but
> didn't because I am unaware of what else may call to them.

What did you want to change and how? I don't *think* anybody elses uses
them, except you'd have to update the admin interface as well of course.

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 11:23:58PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> correct. And I repeat that I see no actual gain countering this
>>> annoyance... If there was enough on the plus side, I'd be happy to live
>>> with it...
>> Consistency is more important than general annoyance but I am trying to
>
> The system is *specifically designed* not to lock filenames to URLs. I
> don't understand why you have such a hard time to accept that ;-)

It isn't that I don't accept it. The design is fine. That doesn't mean
it is a good idea to start naming files in a way that is counter to
their purpose.

Consider... I have a table called people but fill it full of companies.
That is wrong. Consistency is extremely important to the maintenance of
any project and any code base.

Your suggest opens the doors for a horrible pile of spaghetti over the
years. Consider... we have developers in contributors, sponsors in
donors, resources in links on and on and on.

It is a mistake, flat out.

> For example, hosting pages are served by professional.php. Techdocs are
> served by communitydocs.php. That is *intended*.

If it is intended it is a mistake. Techdocs should be served by techdocs
and now my point above is made.

> The only place where filenames are supposed to be "consistent" with URLs is
> in the static area of /templates/.

We should be consistent throughout. It makes management much easier.

>> find a happy medium here. What if I leave the old file in place but
>> empty with a comment of why? Thus the svn diff etc... stays intact.
>
> Eh, that's just plain stupid, really. If that's the option, then I'd rather
> see the file removed.

Good then we are agreed, let's remove the file :)

>> Considering we are now talking about contributors not developer bios
>> that should be sufficient.
>>
>> I will admit that I didn't change the underlying tables. I wanted to but
>> didn't because I am unaware of what else may call to them.
>
> What did you want to change and how? I don't *think* anybody elses uses
> them, except you'd have to update the admin interface as well of course.

Just the table names so they were consistent with the pages. Is the
admin interface in portal?

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Consistency is more important than general annoyance but I am trying to
>>
>> The system is *specifically designed* not to lock filenames to URLs. I
>> don't understand why you have such a hard time to accept that ;-)
>
> It isn't that I don't accept it. The design is fine. That doesn't mean
> it is a good idea to start naming files in a way that is counter to
> their purpose.
>
> Consider... I have a table called people but fill it full of companies.
> That is wrong. Consistency is extremely important to the maintenance of
> any project and any code base.

I disagree here - I think renaming is simply a useless act and I'm firm
with magnus here that playing this game will hardly gain us much but
having to deal with annoyances here and there :-(

> Your suggest opens the doors for a horrible pile of spaghetti over the
> years. Consider... we have developers in contributors, sponsors in
> donors, resources in links on and on and on.
>
> It is a mistake, flat out.
>

>> For example, hosting pages are served by professional.php. Techdocs are
>> served by communitydocs.php. That is *intended*.
>>

> If it is intended it is a mistake. Techdocs should be served by techdocs
> and now my point above is made.

why ? I don't see the point in renaming files for no real purpose (other
than "it looks nicer to the five odd people browsing the source" and
having to deal with annoyances as a result)

Stefan

Date:
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 07:59:38AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >>Consistency is more important than general annoyance but I am trying to
> >
> >The system is *specifically designed* not to lock filenames to URLs. I
> >don't understand why you have such a hard time to accept that ;-)
>
> It isn't that I don't accept it. The design is fine. That doesn't mean
> it is a good idea to start naming files in a way that is counter to
> their purpose.
>
> Consider... I have a table called people but fill it full of companies.
> That is wrong. Consistency is extremely important to the maintenance of
> any project and any code base.
>
> Your suggest opens the doors for a horrible pile of spaghetti over the
> years. Consider... we have developers in contributors, sponsors in
> donors, resources in links on and on and on.
>
> It is a mistake, flat out.

On this, we obviously disagree.

> >For example, hosting pages are served by professional.php. Techdocs are
> >served by communitydocs.php. That is *intended*.
> >

> If it is intended it is a mistake. Techdocs should be served by techdocs
> and now my point above is made.

No. Because community docs is designed to be able to handle much more than
what's currently named techdocs.

> >>find a happy medium here. What if I leave the old file in place but
> >>empty with a comment of why? Thus the svn diff etc... stays intact.
> >
> >Eh, that's just plain stupid, really. If that's the option, then I'd rather
> >see the file removed.
>
> Good then we are agreed, let's remove the file :)

No :-) Let's not.

> >>Considering we are now talking about contributors not developer bios
> >>that should be sufficient.
> >>
> >>I will admit that I didn't change the underlying tables. I wanted to but
> >>didn't because I am unaware of what else may call to them.
> >
> >What did you want to change and how? I don't *think* anybody elses uses
> >them, except you'd have to update the admin interface as well of course.
>
> Just the table names so they were consistent with the pages. Is the
> admin interface in portal?

Yes. See the dispatcher and associated PHP classes ;-)

//Magnus

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Consider... I have a table called people but fill it full of companies.
>> That is wrong. Consistency is extremely important to the maintenance of
>> any project and any code base.
>
> I disagree here - I think renaming is simply a useless act and I'm firm
> with magnus here that playing this game will hardly gain us much but
> having to deal with annoyances here and there :-(

It isn't just a rename, it is a move to the appropriate organized
structure that is represented correctly except where people were too
lazy to do it correctly before. Remember the content has moved from
developers to community.

Both your and magnus's arguments boil down to two things:

1. We want the diff correct. This has some legitimacy and I can see
where this would be annoying. I proposed a couple of solution. None are
acceptable to Magnus so I don't know what to do. Frankly I don't think
we are missing a lot, especially if we use svn mv. We can always
manually diff if we absolutely have to.

2. We designed it so we don't have to be consistent. This with respect
is easily the dumbest thing being argued in this thread. Considering we
are only arguing two things, and not actually arguing the merit of the
patch itself that says a lot. If I were to submit something inconsistent
into -hackers I would be beaten until I was bloody and begging for
someone to teach me the ways of correctness.

>> Your suggest opens the doors for a horrible pile of spaghetti over the
>> years. Consider... we have developers in contributors, sponsors in
>> donors, resources in links on and on and on.
>>
>> It is a mistake, flat out.
>>
>>> For example, hosting pages are served by professional.php. Techdocs are
>>> served by communitydocs.php. That is *intended*.
>>>
>> If it is intended it is a mistake. Techdocs should be served by techdocs
>> and now my point above is made.
>
> why ?

Please read the thread. I have made it very clear. This is a management
nightmare in the making and frankly the fact that I know the above now,
I am going to submit a patch to fix that laziness too.

> I don't see the point in renaming files for no real purpose (other
> than "it looks nicer to the five odd people browsing the source" and
> having to deal with annoyances as a result)

I propose we rename all files based on the timestamp plus milliseconds
of their first commit. The dispatcher is there, it can take care of
everything. Barring that, because we want svn diff capability... we
leave all old files as they are but all new files must be named by the
EPOCH.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 07:59:38AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> For example, hosting pages are served by professional.php. Techdocs are
>>> served by communitydocs.php. That is *intended*.
>>>
>> If it is intended it is a mistake. Techdocs should be served by techdocs
>> and now my point above is made.
>
> No. Because community docs is designed to be able to handle much more than
> what's currently named techdocs.

Well then your example doesn't jive at all with what is going on. If
community docs is a container that is a different argument. I can see a
situation where we have:

community_docs ->              techdocs              articles              blogs              whitepapers

All served by community_docs. That makes sense.

However this:

community->----              |    |->contributors              |    |   developers <    |   |               |
|--------------->

Does not.

>>> What did you want to change and how? I don't *think* anybody elses uses
>>> them, except you'd have to update the admin interface as well of course.
>> Just the table names so they were consistent with the pages. Is the
>> admin interface in portal?
>
> Yes. See the dispatcher and associated PHP classes ;-)

o.k.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 05:54:35PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > Your suggest opens the doors for a horrible pile of spaghetti over the
> > years. Consider... we have developers in contributors, sponsors in
> > donors, resources in links on and on and on.
> >
> > It is a mistake, flat out.
>
> On this, we obviously disagree.

It seems to me that on this topic, there are two points of view here.

To caricature, the first view is that categorization should follow the
principle of least astonishment.  Josh's patch attempts to reorganize things
that way.  The second view is that the framework has features to make
opacity of categorization not a big deal.

From my point of view, it would be very nice if someone could explain why
fixing this opacity isn't a good idea.  In general, it is surely a good idea
to make things less confusing or surprising when one has the opportunity.
What is the reason _not_ do to this?

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Your suggest opens the doors for a horrible pile of spaghetti over the
>>> years. Consider... we have developers in contributors, sponsors in
>>> donors, resources in links on and on and on.
>>>
>>> It is a mistake, flat out.

>>> If it is intended it is a mistake. Techdocs should be served by techdocs
>>> and now my point above is made.
>>
>> why ?
>
> Please read the thread. I have made it very clear. This is a management
> nightmare in the making and frankly the fact that I know the above now,
> I am going to submit a patch to fix that laziness too.

I suggest you find at least one person who actually agrees with you
(amongst the people who are maintaining the stuff, or are likely to in
the future) before you put too much time into that :-P

>> I don't see the point in renaming files for no real purpose (other
>> than "it looks nicer to the five odd people browsing the source" and
>> having to deal with annoyances as a result)
>>

> I propose we rename all files based on the timestamp plus milliseconds
> of their first commit. The dispatcher is there, it can take care of
> everything. Barring that, because we want svn diff capability... we
> leave all old files as they are but all new files must be named by the
> EPOCH.

Um. That would be exactly the "renaming files for no real purpose" that
Stefan said he didn't see the point of ;-)

//Magnus

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 23:44:30 -0500
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 03 December 2007 23:42, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> O.k. patch is attached, it looks pretty good on my sandbox but will
>>> welcome feedback. The specifics are below:
>>> * Adds Active Contributors
>>> * Adds Occasional Contributors
>>>
>> I'm not sure what reasoning spawned this change, but I would object
>> to it myself, mostly on grounds that the people in those lists have
>> been categorized on significance of their contribution (Major), not
>> frequency of it (Active).
>
> Major is quantitatively more subjective than Active.

It is. But with just active/inactive, you give the same level of
attention to say Heikki or Pavan as you do to someone who sends in a
one-line patch for a README?

One thing that's important though - if we do change this, we need to
recategorise people at the same time. We can't just rename "major" to
"recent" and then move people around at a later time.

>> On a side note, whilst everyone has been discussing reshaping the
>> lists in thier own vision, I think what has been fairly overlooked is
>> the task of shuffling some of our Majors and Others between those two
>> categories (at least I always thought that was an important part when
>> I was maintaining the information, I'm not sure what the current
>> ideas behind the thing are)
>
> My understanding and this is implicit as I was never told so I am
> making a complete assumption here, is that it was Josh Berkus's
> responsibility.

Nope. As long as I can remember it's been Rob who made the changes, and
he then sent them past -core for approval before it was actually put on
the site. Berkus was certainly part of the approval process as a member
of -core, but AFAIK he didn't actuallyi make the changes.

//Magnus

Date:

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> My primary concern is the removal of the word developer. I would be
> reasonably happy with "Major contributors", "Minor contributor".

What problem do you have with developers?

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"I dream about dreams about dreams", sang the nightingale

Date:

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> One thing that's important though - if we do change this, we need to
>> recategorise people at the same time. We can't just rename "major" to
>> "recent" and then move people around at a later time.
>
> In general I think that Active/Major is applicable and replaceable on
> the current list. There are certainly omissions Stefan for example
> which need to be remedied but I think everyone could agree that those
> changes could be submitted shortly after the patch is accepted.
>
> My primary concern is the removal of the word developer. I would be
> reasonably happy with "Major contributors", "Minor contributor".

I'm fine with that. And I agree that we need to recognise
non-developer-contributors. Either by renaming it to contributors, or by
creating separate sections for developers and "other contributors". But
creating separate sections creates the problem of how to deal with
people who are both. So I think renaming it is a good solution.

//Magnus

Re: Fair large change to contributors (patch 3)

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Attachment

Date:
On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 13:18 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:48:02 +0100
> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> In an effort to remain productive... please see attached patch.
>
> Also required:
>
> BEGIN;
> UPDATE developers_types SET typename = 'Major Contributors'
> WHERE type = 3;
> UPDATE developers_types SET typename = 'Minor Contributors'
> WHERE type = 4;
> COMMIT;
>
> There are no new files, only modification to existing ones. I also
> added a rewrite rule to .htaccess. The rule works but I am unsure
>
> I will say that Magnus/Stefans (wrong :P) way results in a smaller
> patch.

As I think I said on IM, the rewrite rule part is bogus, really. It
needs to get out on the static frontends, and just putting it there
doesn't do that - it only affects wwwmaster. And for that, it really
*is* easier to just accept the old URL still ;-)

It needs to go in portal/tools/htaccess/root. I can take a look at doing
this if you don't want to, but not right now (you *really* need to test
stuff going in there, we've had some serious breakage from bad patches
there before)

Other than that, I obviously like this patch much better ;)

Date:
On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 12:27 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 13:18 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:48:02 +0100
> > Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> >
> > In an effort to remain productive... please see attached patch.
> >
> > Also required:
> >
> > BEGIN;
> > UPDATE developers_types SET typename = 'Major Contributors'
> > WHERE type = 3;
> > UPDATE developers_types SET typename = 'Minor Contributors'
> > WHERE type = 4;
> > COMMIT;
> >
> > There are no new files, only modification to existing ones. I also
> > added a rewrite rule to .htaccess. The rule works but I am unsure
> >
> > I will say that Magnus/Stefans (wrong :P) way results in a smaller
> > patch.
> >

> As I think I said on IM, the rewrite rule part is bogus, really. It
> needs to get out on the static frontends, and just putting it there
> doesn't do that - it only affects wwwmaster. And for that, it really
> *is* easier to just accept the old URL still ;-)
>
> It needs to go in portal/tools/htaccess/root. I can take a look at doing
> this if you don't want to, but not right now (you *really* need to test
> stuff going in there, we've had some serious breakage from bad patches
> there before)

Pah. I looked at the wrong end of the patch. I see now that you have
that part actually in the patch :-) My bad, please ignore.

Date:
On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 13:18 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:48:02 +0100
> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> In an effort to remain productive... please see attached patch.

Patch applied.

I also noticed you didn't change the actual title of the page, just the
headline. I assume that was a mistake, and fixed it.

You also missed the in-text link at the main developers page :-P

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 13:18 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:48:02 +0100
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>
>> In an effort to remain productive... please see attached patch.
>
> Patch applied.

Y'know, I'm still not so convinced about the new headings - 'Minor
contributors' is the one that irks me.

Consider that that section includes:

Greg Stark - CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, var-valena and lots more
Thomas Hallgren - Pl/Java
Francisco Figueiredo - Npgsql
Christopher Browne - Significant work and ongoing maintenance of Slony
Heikki Linnakangas - 2PC, major review work, concurrent scan, LDC

Amongst others, none of which I think it is fair to call 'minor'. Now
some of those should clearly move up into the main section (though thats
another discussion), but I think we should reconsider that title. How
about 'Other contributors'?

Thoughts?

/D

Dave Page wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 13:18 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:48:02 +0100
>>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> In an effort to remain productive... please see attached patch.
>>
>> Patch applied.
>
> Y'know, I'm still not so convinced about the new headings - 'Minor
> contributors' is the one that irks me.
>
> Consider that that section includes:
>
> Greg Stark - CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, var-valena and lots more
> Thomas Hallgren - Pl/Java
> Francisco Figueiredo - Npgsql
> Christopher Browne - Significant work and ongoing maintenance of Slony
> Heikki Linnakangas - 2PC, major review work, concurrent scan, LDC
>
> Amongst others, none of which I think it is fair to call 'minor'. Now
> some of those should clearly move up into the main section (though thats
> another discussion), but I think we should reconsider that title. How
> about 'Other contributors'?
>
> Thoughts?

Yeah, I wasn't entirely convinced about that one. It used to be called
"other contributors", so I'd be fine with moving that one back.

Date:
On Sunday 09 December 2007 09:21, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> Patch applied.
> >
> > Y'know, I'm still not so convinced about the new headings - 'Minor
> > contributors' is the one that irks me.
> >
> > Consider that that section includes:
> >
> > Greg Stark - CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, var-valena and lots more
> > Thomas Hallgren - Pl/Java
> > Francisco Figueiredo - Npgsql
> > Christopher Browne - Significant work and ongoing maintenance of Slony
> > Heikki Linnakangas - 2PC, major review work, concurrent scan, LDC
> >
> > Amongst others, none of which I think it is fair to call 'minor'. Now
> > some of those should clearly move up into the main section (though thats
> > another discussion), but I think we should reconsider that title. How
> > about 'Other contributors'?
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Yeah, I wasn't entirely convinced about that one. It used to be called
> "other contributors", so I'd be fine with moving that one back.

+1

--
Robert Treat

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 13:18 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> It needs to go in portal/tools/htaccess/root. I can take a look at doing
> this if you don't want to, but not right now (you *really* need to test
> stuff going in there, we've had some serious breakage from bad patches
> there before)

My root file has:

RewriteRule ^developer/bios /community/contributors [L,R=301]

???

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> It needs to go in portal/tools/htaccess/root. I can take a look at doing
>> this if you don't want to, but not right now (you *really* need to test
>> stuff going in there, we've had some serious breakage from bad patches
>> there before)
>
> Pah. I looked at the wrong end of the patch. I see now that you have
> that part actually in the patch :-) My bad, please ignore.

:)

Joshua D. Drake

Dave Page wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 13:18 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> Amongst others, none of which I think it is fair to call 'minor'. Now

They were minor developers before :P. Keep in mind that they can be
moved and it is "easy" to add another section.

> some of those should clearly move up into the main section (though thats
> another discussion), but I think we should reconsider that title. How
> about 'Other contributors'?

I would consider Other less than Minor but I do get your point. I am not
sure if there would be better wording than the one you suggest.

Wait... how about just Contributor..

Core
Major Contributor
Hackers Em...
Contributor

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> some of those should clearly move up into the main section (though
>> thats another discussion), but I think we should reconsider that
>> title. How about 'Other contributors'?
>
> I would consider Other less than Minor but I do get your point. I am not
> sure if there would be better wording than the one you suggest.
>
> Wait... how about just Contributor..

+1

//Magnus

Re: Fair large change to contributors (patch 3)

From
Guillaume Smet
Date:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Amongst others, none of which I think it is fair to call 'minor'. Now
> some of those should clearly move up into the main section (though thats
> another discussion)

AFAICS, the page was not updated with 8.3 contributions. So they were
"minor" contributors before 8.3 dev cycle. It's obvious some of them
have become major during the 8.3 dev cycle.

> but I think we should reconsider that title. How
> about 'Other contributors'?

Why not simply 'Contributors'?

--
Guillaume

Re: Fair large change to contributors

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:01:22 -0800
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> FYI you can see what this looks like here:
>
>  http://69.34.217.90/community/contributors

I am thinking "Hackers Emeritus" should move down near "Past
Contributors".  Its current location seems odd.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Fair large change to contributors

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > /note I am not arguing this change just stating what I did.
> > I made the
> > change because Bruce brought it up and it makes the page a lot simpler.
>
> Please remove that part of the patch ... Bruce's opinion does not reflect the
> rest of Core's, it was just his opinion ...
>
> ... even with Bruce's opinion about how little Core does (another thing that
> does'nt reflect the rest of Core's opinion), those "confidential company
> contacts" need to know we exist, and having to search for the string 'core' in
> all of the active contributors seems to be a negative approach to this ...

Here is my post asking if the core section was necessary:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg01234.php

It is true my description of core as incomplete, as it didn't list
confidential security and tarball creation.

However, having core at the top might imply that core does most of the
work for this project, which I don't think is true.

One idea would be to list the core members at the top in one sentence,
and have their details below.  But maybe core-at-the-top is the best of
our possible options.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> One idea would be to list the core members at the top in one sentence,
> and have their details below.  But maybe core-at-the-top is the best of
> our possible options.

My impression is that core (in general) is a little sensitive about
their position on that page. I didn't care enough to make the argument
one way or another because I know that core is subject to the community.

However, your point is also valid in that the current representation
makes it look like core is somehow the key to the kingdom, which is
certainly not true.

I do not wish to detract from the importance of core either though. Part
of me thinks the page should look like this:

Core (link to page with core members) * Definition of core, purpose etc....
Major Contributors (link to page with Major Contributors and Contributors)
 * Definition
Contributors
 * Definition
Hackers Emeritus (Link to page with Hackers Emeritus and Past Contributors)
 * Definition
Past Contributors

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> One idea would be to list the core members at the top in one sentence,
>> and have their details below.  But maybe core-at-the-top is the best of
>> our possible options.
>
> My impression is that core (in general) is a little sensitive about
> their position on that page. I didn't care enough to make the argument
> one way or another because I know that core is subject to the community.
>
> However, your point is also valid in that the current representation
> makes it look like core is somehow the key to the kingdom, which is
> certainly not true.
>
> I do not wish to detract from the importance of core either though. Part
> of me thinks the page should look like this:
>
> Core (link to page with core members)

I don't like the split-into-a-bunch-of-tiny-pages idea. The page isn't
large enough to require that yet, IMHO. And there's space for definition
as well, as long as it's nice and short (which it should be).

>  * Definition of core, purpose etc....

+1 on actually defining that so outsiders can know about it. You'll just
have to get -core to agree on a wording for it though :-P

Date:

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> I do not wish to detract from the importance of core either though. Part
>> of me thinks the page should look like this:
>>
>> Core (link to page with core members)
>
> I don't like the split-into-a-bunch-of-tiny-pages idea. The page isn't
> large enough to require that yet, IMHO. And there's space for definition
> as well, as long as it's nice and short (which it should be).

One option would be that the second page would be as it is now but have
internal refs. That way we have the short front page but solve the
second page is too short problem.

With that could even come in page navigation on top of each list that
allows navigation between the various topics.

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>>  * Definition of core, purpose etc....
>> +1 on actually defining that so outsiders can know about it. You'll just
>> have to get -core to agree on a wording for it though :-P
>
> We've already been discussing that :)  Haven't got anything  yet, mind you ...

I assume since about 1996? :P

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Fair large change to contributors

From
"Dave Page"

Since about 10AM GMT this morning as it happens!

/D

Date: