Re: Fair large change to contributors - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Fair large change to contributors
Date
Re: Fair large change to contributors
List pgsql-www
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 11:23:58PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> correct. And I repeat that I see no actual gain countering this
>>> annoyance... If there was enough on the plus side, I'd be happy to live
>>> with it...
>> Consistency is more important than general annoyance but I am trying to
>
> The system is *specifically designed* not to lock filenames to URLs. I
> don't understand why you have such a hard time to accept that ;-)

It isn't that I don't accept it. The design is fine. That doesn't mean
it is a good idea to start naming files in a way that is counter to
their purpose.

Consider... I have a table called people but fill it full of companies.
That is wrong. Consistency is extremely important to the maintenance of
any project and any code base.

Your suggest opens the doors for a horrible pile of spaghetti over the
years. Consider... we have developers in contributors, sponsors in
donors, resources in links on and on and on.

It is a mistake, flat out.

> For example, hosting pages are served by professional.php. Techdocs are
> served by communitydocs.php. That is *intended*.

If it is intended it is a mistake. Techdocs should be served by techdocs
and now my point above is made.

> The only place where filenames are supposed to be "consistent" with URLs is
> in the static area of /templates/.

We should be consistent throughout. It makes management much easier.

>> find a happy medium here. What if I leave the old file in place but
>> empty with a comment of why? Thus the svn diff etc... stays intact.
>
> Eh, that's just plain stupid, really. If that's the option, then I'd rather
> see the file removed.

Good then we are agreed, let's remove the file :)

>> Considering we are now talking about contributors not developer bios
>> that should be sufficient.
>>
>> I will admit that I didn't change the underlying tables. I wanted to but
>> didn't because I am unaware of what else may call to them.
>
> What did you want to change and how? I don't *think* anybody elses uses
> them, except you'd have to update the admin interface as well of course.

Just the table names so they were consistent with the pages. Is the
admin interface in portal?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake