Hints proposal

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
Posting here instead of hackers since this is where the thread got
started...

The argument has been made that producing a hints system will be as hard
as actually fixing the optimizer. There's also been clamoring for an
actual proposal, so here's one that (I hope) wouldn't be very difficult
to implemen.

My goal with this is to keep the coding aspect as simple as possible, so
that implementation and maintenance of this isn't a big burden. Towards
that end, these hints either tell the planner specifically how to handle
some aspect of a query, or they tell it to modify specific cost
estimates. My hope is that this information could be added to the
internal representation of a query without much pain, and that the
planner can then use that information when generating plans.

The syntax these hints is something arbitrary. I'm borrowing Oracle's
idea of embedding hints in comments, but we can use some other method if
desired. Right now I'm more concerned with getting the general idea
across.

Since this is such a controversial topic, I've left this at a 'rough
draft' stage - it's meant more as a framework for discussion than a
final proposal for implementation.

Forcing a Plan
--------------
These hints would outright force the planner to do things a certain way.

... FROM table /* ACCESS {SEQSCAN | [[NO] BITMAP] INDEX index_name} */

This would force the planner to access table via a seqscan or
index_name. For the index case, you can also specify if the access must
or must not be via a bitmap scan. If neither is specified, the planner
is free to choose either one.

Theoretically, we could also allow "ACCESS INDEX" without an index name,
which would simply enforce that a seqscan not be used, but I'm not sure
how useful that would be.

... FROM a JOIN b /* {HASH|NESTED LOOP|MERGE} JOIN */ ON (...)
... FROM a JOIN b ON (...) /* [HASH|NESTED LOOP|MERGE] JOIN */

Force the specified join mechanism on the join. The first form would not
enforce a join order, it would only force table b to be joined to the
rest of the relations using the specified join type. The second form
would specify that a joins to b in that order, and optionally specify
what type of join to use.

... GROUP BY ... /* {HASH|SORT} AGGREGATE */

Specify how aggregation should be handled.

Cost Tweaking
-------------
It would also be useful to allow tweaking of planner cost estimates.
This would take the general form of

node operator value

where node would be a planner node/hint (ie: ACCESS INDEX), operator
would be +, -, *, /, and value would be the amount to change the
estimate by. So "ACCESS INDEX my_index / 2" would tell the planner to
cut the estimated cost of any index scan on a given table in half.

(I realize the syntax will probably need to change to avoid pain in the
grammar code.)

Unlike the hints above that are ment to force a certain behavior on an
operation, you could potentially have multiple cost hints in a single
location, ie:

FROM a /* HASH JOIN * 1.1 NESTED LOOP JOIN * 2 MERGE JOIN + 5000 */
    JOIN b ON (...) /* NESTED LOOP JOIN - 5000 */

The first comment block would apply to any joins against a, while the
second one would apply only to joins between a and b. The effects would
be cumulative, so this example means that any merge join against a gets
an added cost of 5000, unless it's a join with b (because +5000 + -5000
= 0). I think you could end up with odd cases if the second form just
over-rode the first, which is why it should be cummulative.

Re: Hints proposal

Date:
Because DB2 doesn't like hints, and the fact that they have gotten to a
point where they feel they do not need them, I feel we too can get to a
point where we don't need them either.  The question is whether we can
get there quickly enough for our userbase.

I perfer attacking the problem at the table definition level, like
something like "volatile", or adding to the existing table statistics.

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> [...]
>
> (I realize the syntax will probably need to change to avoid pain in the
> grammar code.)
>
> Unlike the hints above that are ment to force a certain behavior on an
> operation, you could potentially have multiple cost hints in a single
> location, ie:
>
> FROM a /* HASH JOIN * 1.1 NESTED LOOP JOIN * 2 MERGE JOIN + 5000 */
>     JOIN b ON (...) /* NESTED LOOP JOIN - 5000 */
>
> The first comment block would apply to any joins against a, while the
> second one would apply only to joins between a and b. The effects would
> be cumulative, so this example means that any merge join against a gets
> an added cost of 5000, unless it's a join with b (because +5000 + -5000
> = 0). I think you could end up with odd cases if the second form just
> over-rode the first, which is why it should be cummulative.

  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: Hints proposal

From
"Joshua Marsh"
Date:
Posting here instead of hackers since this is where the thread got
started...

The argument has been made that producing a hints system will be as hard
as actually fixing the optimizer. There's also been clamoring for an
actual proposal, so here's one that (I hope) wouldn't be very difficult
to implemen.

My goal with this is to keep the coding aspect as simple as possible, so
that implementation and maintenance of this isn't a big burden. Towards
that end, these hints either tell the planner specifically how to handle
some aspect of a query, or they tell it to modify specific cost
estimates. My hope is that this information could be added to the
internal representation of a query without much pain, and that the
planner can then use that information when generating plans.

I've been following the last thread with a bit of interest.  I like the proposal.  It seems simple and easy to use.  What is it about hinting that makes it so easily breakable with new versions?  I don't have any experience with Oracle, so I'm not sure how they screwed logic like this up.  Hinting to use a specific merge or scan seems fairly straight forward; if the query requests to use an index on a join, I don't see how hard it is to go with the suggestion.  It will become painfully obvious to the developer if his hinting is broken.

Re: Hints proposal

Date:
[ This is off-topic for -performance, please continue the thread in
-hackers ]

"Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> writes:
> These hints would outright force the planner to do things a certain way.
> ... FROM table /* ACCESS {SEQSCAN | [[NO] BITMAP] INDEX index_name} */

This proposal seems to deliberately ignore every point that has been
made *against* doing things that way.  It doesn't separate the hints
from the queries, it doesn't focus on fixing the statistical or cost
misestimates that are at the heart of the issue, and it takes no account
of the problem of hints being obsoleted by system improvements.

> It would also be useful to allow tweaking of planner cost estimates.
> This would take the general form of
> node operator value

This is at least focusing on the right sort of thing, although I still
find it completely misguided to be attaching hints like this to
individual queries.

What I would like to see is information *stored in a system catalog*
that affects the planner's cost estimates.  As an example, the DBA might
know that a particular table is touched sufficiently often that it's
likely to remain RAM-resident, in which case reducing the page fetch
cost estimates for just that table would make sense.  (BTW, this is
something the planner could in principle know, but we're unlikely to
do it anytime soon, for a number of reasons including a desire for plan
stability.)  The other general category of thing I think we need is a
way to override selectivity estimates for particular forms of WHERE
clauses.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Hints proposal

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Because DB2 doesn't like hints, and the fact that they have gotten to a
> point where they feel they do not need them, I feel we too can get to a
> point where we don't need them either.  The question is whether we can
> get there quickly enough for our userbase.

In all fairness, when I used to work with DB2 we often had to rewrite
queries to persuade the planner to choose a different plan. Often it was
more of an issue of plan stability; a query would suddenly become
horribly slow in production because a table had grown slowly to the
point that it chose a different plan than before. Then we had to modify
the query again, or manually set the statistics. In extreme cases we had
to split a query to multiple parts and use temporary tables and move
logic to the application to get a query to perform consistently and fast
enough. I really really missed hints.

Because DB2 doesn't have MVCC, an accidental table scan is very serious,
because with stricter isolation levels that keeps the whole table locked.

That said, I really don't like the idea of hints like "use index X"
embedded in a query. I do like the idea of hints that give the planner