Re: Hints proposal - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Hints proposal
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thursday 12 October 2006 12:40, Bucky Jordan wrote:
> >What is it about hinting that makes it so easily breakable with new
> > versions?  I >don't have any experience with Oracle, so I'm not sure how
> > they screwed logic like >this up.
>
> I don't have a ton of experience with oracle either, mostly DB2, MSSQL and
> PG. So, I thought I'd do some googling, and maybe others might find this
> useful info.
>
> http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:2177642270773127589::NO::F4950_
>P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:7038986332061
>
> Interesting quote: "In Oracle Applications development (11i apps - HR, CRM,
> etc) Hints are strictly forbidden.  We find the underlying cause and fix
> it." and "Hints -- only useful if you are in RBO and you want to make use
> of an access path."
>
> Maybe because I haven't had access to hints before, I've never been tempted
> to use them. However, I can't remember having to re-write SQL due to a PG
> upgrade either.

When it happens it tends to look something like this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-01/msg00154.php

Funny that for all the people who claim that improving the planner should be
the primary goal that no one ever took interest in the above case.

--
Robert Treat