Re: Hints proposal - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Hints proposal
Date
Re: Hints proposal  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>)
List pgsql-performance
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Because DB2 doesn't like hints, and the fact that they have gotten to a
> point where they feel they do not need them, I feel we too can get to a
> point where we don't need them either.  The question is whether we can
> get there quickly enough for our userbase.

In all fairness, when I used to work with DB2 we often had to rewrite
queries to persuade the planner to choose a different plan. Often it was
more of an issue of plan stability; a query would suddenly become
horribly slow in production because a table had grown slowly to the
point that it chose a different plan than before. Then we had to modify
the query again, or manually set the statistics. In extreme cases we had
to split a query to multiple parts and use temporary tables and move
logic to the application to get a query to perform consistently and fast
enough. I really really missed hints.

Because DB2 doesn't have MVCC, an accidental table scan is very serious,
because with stricter isolation levels that keeps the whole table locked.

That said, I really don't like the idea of hints like "use index X"
embedded in a query. I do like the idea of hints that give the planner