Re: [PERFORM] Hints proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Hints proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> So, does anyone out there have a plan for how we could give user's the
> ability to control the planner at a per-table level in 8.3 or even 8.4?

Per-table level?  Some of the problems that have been put forward have
to do with table combinations (for example selectivity of joins), so not
all problems will be solved with a per-table design.

I think if it were per table, you could get away with storing stuff in
pg_statistics or some such.  But how do you express statistics for
joins?  How do you express cross-column correlation?