Re: [PERFORM] Hints proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Hints proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com> writes:
> Until that point is achieved, the above proposal is one of the simplest
> to understand for the tweaking DBA, and the fastest to deploy when faced
> with catastrophic plans. And I would guess it is one of the simplest to
> be implemented and probably not very high maintenance either, although
> this is just a guess.

That guess is wrong ... but more to the point, if you think that "simple
and easy to implement" should be the overriding concern for designing a
new feature, see mysql.  They've used that design approach for years and
look what a mess they've got.  This project has traditionally done
things differently and I feel no need to change that mindset now.