Re: Hints proposal - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Hints proposal
Date
List pgsql-performance
Brian Hurt wrote:
> Or, in shorter forms:
> 1) If you make it convient to use, expect it to be used a lot.  If it
> shouldn't be used a lot, don't make it convient.
> 2) Breaking features means that people won't upgrade.
> 3) Programmers are idiots- design accordingly.

The PostgreSQL project has had a philosophy of trying to limit user
choice when we can _usually_ make the right choice automatically.
Historically Oracle and others have favored giving users more choices,
but this adds complexity when using the database.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us