Future versions of psqlODBC

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi All,

I recently polled the list for feedback of the 07.03.0260 experimental
release of psqlODBC vs. 08.01.0200. Based on the few responses on list,
and conversations I've had with other developers off-list, it seems that
the REL-07_03_ENHANCED code branch should be used as the basis for
future versions of psqlODBC.

I therefore propose the following:

1) The current CVS code is branched into a REL-08_01_PATCHES branch to
be used for bug fixes.

2) The REL-07_03_ENHANCED branch is merged into CVS tip, whilst
maintaing the current installer and documentation etc.

3) The driver is rebranded to
PostgreSQL+/psqlodbcplus.so/psqlodbcplus.lib to differentiate it from
all previous versions.

4) The version number is bumped to 08.02.xxxx in preparation for a
future formal release.

Thoughts/comments/objections?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Future versions of psqlODBC

From
Andreas
Dave Page wrote:

[...] it seems that
the REL-07_03_ENHANCED code branch should be used as the basis for
future versions of psqlODBC.

Hi Dave,

as allways when there are ways to chose from, there should be some guide
nudging the ignorant user (=me) in the "right" direction.

Where is 7.3.x actually better than 8.1.2 ?
Who would be encouraged to switch and the 07-branch anywhere near to be
considered stable for productive use?
Is it faster transfering data with office apps like Access?

An informed pointing finger was nice.   ;)

Re: Future versions of psqlODBC

From
"Dave Page"

It includes features such as Updateable cursors and savepoint support.

> Who would be encouraged to switch and the 07-branch anywhere
> near to be
> considered stable for productive use?

Dunno yet - it hasn't had particularly widespread testing.

> Is it faster transfering data with office apps like Access?

Also unknown at this point.

> An informed pointing finger was nice.   ;)

Well when the time comes we will point users in the right direction, but
at the moment the choice is from a developers perspective, which driver
provides the best basis for future versions? It appears that the
enhanced 07.03 branch is most peoples choice, so we will look at basing
future versions of psqlODBC on that. At the moment though 08.01.0200 is
the officially supported version.

Regards, Dave

Re: Future versions of psqlODBC

From
Ludek Finstrle
Date:
> I therefore propose the following:
>
> 1) The current CVS code is branched into a REL-08_01_PATCHES branch to
> be used for bug fixes.

Sure.

> 2) The REL-07_03_ENHANCED branch is merged into CVS tip, whilst
> maintaing the current installer and documentation etc.

Sure.

> 3) The driver is rebranded to
> PostgreSQL+/psqlodbcplus.so/psqlodbcplus.lib to differentiate it from
> all previous versions.

I disagree. If I remember it right there was psqlodbcplus already.
Why confuse users more? Why we need the differentiation? The driver
is based on 7.3 version ...

> 4) The version number is bumped to 08.02.xxxx in preparation for a
> future formal release.

I agree.

Regards,

Luf

Re: Future versions of psqlODBC

From
"Dave Page"

Well, either way it will be different from 08.01 because there is only
one driver in the 7.3E branch, so there is no ANSI/Unicode distinction.

As for the name, yes, there was a psqlodbcplus, but I thought they never
actually released anything. On double checking that's not the case so
that isn't such a good name as you say.

We could just return to plain old psqlodbc/PostgreSQL ?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Future versions of psqlODBC

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
From: "Ludek Finstrle"

> > 4) The version number is bumped to 08.02.xxxx in preparation for a
> > future formal release.
>
> I agree.

Yea, I want your achievement to be poured there. You are admired
by many users. Furthermore, i wishes so again.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Date:
> > > 3) The driver is rebranded to
> > > PostgreSQL+/psqlodbcplus.so/psqlodbcplus.lib to
> > > differentiate it from
> > > all previous versions.
> >
> > I disagree. If I remember it right there was psqlodbcplus already.
> > Why confuse users more? Why we need the differentiation? The driver
> > is based on 7.3 version ...
>
> Well, either way it will be different from 08.01 because there is only
> one driver in the 7.3E branch, so there is no ANSI/Unicode distinction.

I don't know that we want release only one driver. It's ok to have only
one driver?
You wrote that there were many problems pointed by users when psqlodbc
switch to Unicode driver.

> As for the name, ...
>
> We could just return to plain old psqlodbc/PostgreSQL ?

It sounds good for me.

Regards,

Luf

Re: Future versions of psqlODBC

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, but they didn't have Hiroshi around to fix things for them then (he
wrote the Unicode code), and none of the rest of us fully understood the
issues.

I have asked Hiroshi about the need for two drivers, and he told me
there should be no problem with the 7.3E branch with just the one
driver.

Date:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> We could just return to plain old psqlodbc/PostgreSQL ?

Please.  This is going to be confusing enough anyway.

Do you expect to resurrect the separate ANSI/Unicode driver versions
someday?  If so, please consider making the build create both driver
names right away, even if there's not any distinction at the moment.
Otherwise you'll be creating useless thrash in the packaging and
people's odbcinst.ini files, as they have to change the driver name
only to have to change it again later.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Future versions of psqlODBC

From
"Dave Page"

Hiroshi tells me we won't need two drivers and that the 07 branch should
not suffer the problems we had with 08.00 that caused us to move back to
two. My only concern is the *nix build - other than OSX Panther which
doesn't have a Unicode DM, does anyone know if having a Unicode only
driver is going to cause any problems on any particular platforms?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Future versions of psqlODBC

From
Hiroshi Inoue
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

AFAIR I didn't tell you such a thing.  Though I've heard no problem from
Japanese( e.g. about the
 use with MS Access) so far ,  I don't know if it solves the problems
e.g. about BDE or under
other languages' environment.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Oh, I apologise - I was misremembering what you said:

> What do you mean by *non-latin1* ? As for the combination of
> Japanase and
> MS Access, it seems to work well.

Can anyone who was suffering the latin character problems with the old
Unicode driver try the 07.03 demo version please?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Future versions of psqlODBC

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Ahh, thanks for testing Miguel. Are you hanging around for a while and prepared to run any more tests if needed?

Regards,Dave.