High Level Committers Wanted

From
bobJobS
Date:
I am currently working for the Government and there is a huge push to move
our Oracle databases to a FOSS database solution. Right now, PostgreSQL is
high on the list.

What we need is a meeting/training session with the main contributors to
Postgres to help facilitate solutions of some of the Oracle functionality to
Postgres. This may be an opportunity to gather Government requirements for
additional Postgres releases. The meeting would be in the Columbia area.

Some of our needs:
Package structure similar to Oracle
Parallel queries
Multi Master Replication

Some of the names I've seen
Tom Lane
Robert Haas
Greg Smith
Simon Riggs

Please let me know if a meeting is possible. There is another in-house
meeting April 17th where I would like to pass on contact information or
needs from the contributors.

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
[...]

I would suggest you consider attending pgcon, as many of the major developers will be there, including many committers (both those you have mentioned and others). I'm sure several of these topics will already be covered there, and there's also an unconference day that is open for any topic.

No, it's not in the Columbia area (any of them), but on the other hand, there will be experts from all over the world there.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 03/12/2014 08:19 AM, bobJobS wrote:
> I am currently working for the Government and there is a huge push to move
> our Oracle databases to a FOSS database solution. Right now, PostgreSQL is
> high on the list.

What Government?

> What we need is a meeting/training session with the main contributors to
> Postgres to help facilitate solutions of some of the Oracle functionality to
> Postgres. This may be an opportunity to gather Government requirements for
> additional Postgres releases. The meeting would be in the Columbia area.

Columbia the country or the District?

> Some of our needs:
> Package structure similar to Oracle
> Parallel queries
> Multi Master Replication

You might to look at the below for companies that could help:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/

> Some of the names I've seen
> Tom Lane
> Robert Haas
> Greg Smith
> Simon Riggs
>
> Please let me know if a meeting is possible. There is another in-house
> meeting April 17th where I would like to pass on contact information or
> needs from the contributors.

As it happens there is PgCon where you can meet a lot of these people
and more:

http://www.pgcon.org/2014/

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
David Boreham
Date:
On 3/12/2014 9:34 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Columbia the country or the District?

There's also the river...

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Gary Chambers
Date:
>> Columbia the country or the District?
>
> There's also the river...

And South Carolina...

--
G.

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
alexandros_e
Date:
It seems like spam to me. Where is the guy's name or credentials? If I would
request something, I would sign with my name, government email and
telephone.

Date:
On 03/12/2014 08:38 AM, David Boreham wrote:

> On 3/12/2014 9:34 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>
>> Columbia the country or the District?
>
> There's also the river...

Yea, and here me living in Washington State.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 3/12/2014 9:49 AM, alexandros_e wrote:
> It seems like spam to me. Where is the guy's name or credentials? If I would
> request something, I would sign with my name, government email and
> telephone.

Or it is a 20-day-early April 1 email.

Date:
On 03/12/2014 08:48 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:
>>> Columbia the country or the District?
>>
>> There's also the river...
>
> And South Carolina...

Alright, I am going to go with the answer from Magnus:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
bobJobS
Date:
Two valid questions.
1. Columbia, Maryland
2. US Government

Attending PGCon does make sense, however I was asked specifically to see if
I could get someone for an onsite meeting.

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
bobJobS
Date:
Your professional input is greatly appreciated.

Date:
On 03/12/2014 09:43 AM, bobJobS wrote:
> Your professional input is greatly appreciated.

My guess is you will get more assistance if you are more forthcoming
with information. There is also the issue of your email address,
*@yahoo.com is sort of generic to be charitable. At the moment all we
know is:

1) You are representing some unknown company/US government agency.

2) You want to migrate a US government Oracle database of unknown
dimension and complexity to Postgres on an unknown time scale.

3) You and or other people would like to meet with Postgres developers
to sound out ideas.

I would say you will need to fill in the details of the above in order
to get a coherent response. My second guess is, that if you do share
details, there are already companies on the list I shared earlier that
can help you right now.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
bobJobS
Date:
Understood and I agree.

I will check to see how much contact detail I can divulge in an open forum.

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 3/12/2014 8:19 AM, bobJobS wrote:
> What we need is a meeting/training session with the main contributors to
> Postgres to help facilitate solutions of some of the Oracle functionality to
> Postgres. This may be an opportunity to gather Government requirements for
> additional Postgres releases. The meeting would be in the Columbia area.
>
> Some of our needs:
> Package structure similar to Oracle
> Parallel queries
> Multi Master Replication

you likely would do better to put one of the postgresql development
companies, like 2ndQuadrant, under retainer

some of your needs may be met by EnterpriseDB's PostgreSQL Advanced
Server, which has extensive Oracle compatability added to it.

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
"Antman, Jason (CMG-Atlanta)"
Date:
I'm not a "high level committer", nor am I even a regular poster to this
list.

not saying this post is true, but... If I'm reading between the lines
correctly, this could make for quite a striking headline in the tech
news - "NSA dumps Oracle proprietary database in favor of PostgreSQL."

I'd venture a guess that, whether he's legitimate or not, "bobJobS"
mentioned "the Columbia area" referring to Columbia, MD, USA. The two
biggest employers in the area that I can think of are the NSA and a
bunch of DoD facilities... once again, not saying this is legitimate,
but they are the types of operations that go for cloak-and-dagger "we
have something interesting to talk to you about, why don't you come down
and meet some of our people in a hotel and sign reams of NDAs before we
tell you who we are" offers.

On 03/12/2014 01:13 PM, bobJobS wrote:
> Understood and I agree.
>
> I will check to see how much contact detail I can divulge in an open forum.

Jason Antman | Systems Engineer | CMGdigital
jason.antman@coxinc.com | p: 678-645-4155

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Andy Colson
Date:
On 3/14/2014 6:08 AM, Antman, Jason (CMG-Atlanta) wrote:
> I'm not a "high level committer", nor am I even a regular poster to this
> list.
>
> not saying this post is true, but... If I'm reading between the lines
> correctly, this could make for quite a striking headline in the tech
> news - "NSA dumps Oracle proprietary database in favor of PostgreSQL."

No no.  <puts on tin foil hat> bobJobS is from Oracle.  They are tying
to lure all the PG developers to a secret meeting  ...  where they will
all disappear.  Problem solved. :-)

-Andy

Date:
On 12 March 2014 15:19, bobJobS <russelljanusz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am currently working for the Government and there is a huge push to move
> our Oracle databases to a FOSS database solution. Right now, PostgreSQL is
> high on the list.
>
> What we need is a meeting/training session with the main contributors to
> Postgres to help facilitate solutions of some of the Oracle functionality to
> Postgres. This may be an opportunity to gather Government requirements for
> additional Postgres releases. The meeting would be in the Columbia area.
>
> Some of our needs:
> Package structure similar to Oracle
> Parallel queries
> Multi Master Replication
>
> Some of the names I've seen
> Tom Lane
> Robert Haas
> Greg Smith
> Simon Riggs
>
> Please let me know if a meeting is possible. There is another in-house
> meeting April 17th where I would like to pass on contact information or
> needs from the contributors.

Thanks very much for mentioning my name in this context.

As PostgreSQL is community driven project and is not owned by any
single company, people who wish to sponsor development of major
features need to contact invidual developers or companies providing
such services, rather than making a general posting.

My company, 2ndQuadrant, has been contributing major features to
PostgreSQL for 10 full years now and we aim to accelerate the growth
of community development into the future. 2ndQuadrant guarantees that
all sponsored developments will be contractually bound to novate
copyright to the PostgreSQL Global Development Group and to release
all such code under The PostgreSQL Licence. In addition, wherever
possible, given community discussion, feedback and agreement the code
will be submitted as patches to core PostgreSQL and we will pursue
commit of those changes as well as longer term bug fixing.

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Jayadevan M

I'm not a "high level committer", nor am I even a regular poster to this
list.

not saying this post is true, but... If I'm reading between the lines
correctly, this could make for quite a striking headline in the tech
news - "NSA dumps Oracle proprietary database in favor of PostgreSQL."

No no.  <puts on tin foil hat> bobJobS is from Oracle.  They are tying to lure all the PG developers to a secret meeting  ...  where they will all disappear.  Problem solved. :-)

-Andy

I love that theory. You have been watching too many thrillers. But which problem gets solved?

Date:
On 3/19/2014 12:33 AM, Jayadevan M wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net
> <mailto:andy@squeakycode.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 3/14/2014 6:08 AM, Antman, Jason (CMG-Atlanta) wrote:
>
>         I'm not a "high level committer", nor am I even a regular poster
>         to this
>         list.
>
>         not saying this post is true, but... If I'm reading between the
>         lines
>         correctly, this could make for quite a striking headline in the tech
>         news - "NSA dumps Oracle proprietary database in favor of
>         PostgreSQL."
>

>     No no.  <puts on tin foil hat> bobJobS is from Oracle.  They are
>     tying to lure all the PG developers to a secret meeting  ...  where
>     they will all disappear.  Problem solved. :-)
>
>     -Andy
>

>     --
>
> I love that theory. You have been watching too many thrillers. But which
> problem gets solved?

I dunno.  I'm new at conspiracy theories :-).  I hoped, by some stretch,
Oracle was feeling the heat of competition from PG ... and decided to
"solve" the problem.  See?

-Andy

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Andy Colson escribió:

> I dunno.  I'm new at conspiracy theories :-).  I hoped, by some
> stretch, Oracle was feeling the heat of competition from PG ... and
> decided to "solve" the problem.  See?

If Oracle decided to solve the problem in these ways, I'm pretty sure
they would already have many hackers' home coordinates and could have
sent Iron Man after them long ago.  I wouldn't worry about this, really.

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Atri Sharma

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Andy Colson escribió:

> I dunno.  I'm new at conspiracy theories :-).  I hoped, by some
> stretch, Oracle was feeling the heat of competition from PG ... and
> decided to "solve" the problem.  See?

If Oracle decided to solve the problem in these ways, I'm pretty sure
they would already have many hackers' home coordinates and could have
sent Iron Man after them long ago.  I wouldn't worry about this, really.

Do I hear Iron Man's thrusters outside your door? ;)

Regards,

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Andy Colson escribió:
>
>> I dunno.  I'm new at conspiracy theories :-).  I hoped, by some
>> stretch, Oracle was feeling the heat of competition from PG ... and
>> decided to "solve" the problem.  See?
>
> If Oracle decided to solve the problem in these ways, I'm pretty sure
> they would already have many hackers' home coordinates and could have
> sent Iron Man after them long ago.  I wouldn't worry about this, really.
You should be careful not to give ideas away. There may be enough
funds to really create a high-tech-funky suit like that :)
--
Michael

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Eduardo Morras
Date:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 09:14:29 +0900
Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:

> You should be careful not to give ideas away. There may be enough
> funds to really create a high-tech-funky suit like that :)
> --
> Michael

Hackers has free time to spare in funky projects, Big Corps has free money to spare in funky threats ;)

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>

Re: High Level Committers Wanted

From
Kenneth Buckler
Date:
Hello,

I rarely post in this group, but felt input would be important to chime in here from a security aspect.

One of the primary challenges I've seen in the past with migrating to PostgreSQL from Oracle is implementing DISA STIG compliance.  This may or may not be a requirement in your environment.

While there is an Oracle STIG available, there is currently no PostgreSQL STIG - so you will need to engineer much of the required settings/etc. using the Generic Database STIG located at http://iase.disa.mil/stigs/app_security/database/general.html

Fortunately, because PostgreSQL is "secure by default" many of the needed settings are already in place by default. However, you still need documentation to prove this to an auditor.

Thanks,
Ken Buckler
Caffeine Security