PostgreSql with or without Plus?

From
Jennifer Trey

Which one should one install? Is there any difference?

They are both free right? And both has fulltext support, right?

Jen

Re: PostgreSql with or without Plus?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 18:23 +0100, Jennifer Trey wrote:
> Which one should one install? Is there any difference?
>

> They are both free right? And both has fulltext support, right?

It depends on your requirements. I always suggest using a version that
natively supports your operating system packaging. As far as I know
Postgres Plus does not do this on Linux.

If you are running windows, use what you want :)

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSql with or without Plus?

From
Ashish Karalkar
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 18:23 +0100, Jennifer Trey wrote:
>
>> Which one should one install? Is there any difference?
>>

>> They are both free right? And both has fulltext support, right?
>>

> It depends on your requirements. I always suggest using a version that
> natively supports your operating system packaging. As far as I know
> Postgres Plus does not do this on Linux.
>
> If you are running windows, use what you want :)
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> Jen

Postgres Plus does support  Linux and it includes all the PostgreSQL
features as well as have many other additional useful features.One of
which is its dyna tune module.
You can check through the webpage
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus.do for detail
additional features.
I am using it on Linux and so far haven't faced any problem :-)

With Regards
--Ashish

Re: PostgreSql with or without Plus?

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 11:19 +0530, Ashish Karalkar wrote:

> Postgres Plus does support  Linux and it includes all the PostgreSQL
> features as well as have many other additional useful features.One of
> which is its dyna tune module.
> You can check through the webpage
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus.do for detail
> additional features.
> I am using it on Linux and so far haven't faced any problem :-)

I think you should declare your (Synechron's) interest here as a close
partner of the people that offer that software.

Also, Postgres Plus doesn't contain Dynatune, nor does the web page say
that... another distribution *does*, but that is neither free nor open.

Date:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 11:19 +0530, Ashish Karalkar wrote:
>

>> Postgres Plus does support  Linux and it includes all the PostgreSQL
>> features as well as have many other additional useful features.One of
>> which is its dyna tune module.
>> You can check through the webpage
>> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus.do for detail
>> additional features.
>> I am using it on Linux and so far haven't faced any problem :-)
>>

> I think you should declare your (Synechron's) interest here as a close
> partner of the people that offer that software.

    Also, Postgres Plus doesn't contain Dynatune, nor does the web page say
> that... another distribution *does*, but that is neither free nor open.

Tunning wizard  module is free and open source  and can be found at
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/download.do

Tuning wizard is also part of the stackbuilder  which comes with
standard PostgreSQL installation.
You can find it under Add-ons,tools and Utilities Menu.

With Regards
Ashish Karalkar

Date:
On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 14:36 +0530, Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 11:19 +0530, Ashish Karalkar wrote:

> >> Postgres Plus does support  Linux and it includes all the PostgreSQL
> >> features as well as have many other additional useful features.One of
> >> which is its dyna tune module.
> >> You can check through the webpage
> >> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus.do for detail
> >> additional features.
> >> I am using it on Linux and so far haven't faced any problem :-)
> >>

>     Also, Postgres Plus doesn't contain Dynatune, nor does the web page say
> > that... another distribution *does*, but that is neither free nor open.
> >

> Tuning wizard is also part of the stackbuilder  which comes with
> standard PostgreSQL installation.
> You can find it under Add-ons,tools and Utilities Menu.

Exactly my point: it is not a value-add for Postgres Plus, which was the
only value-add you mentioned. Those features either work with standard
Postgres distro, or they are not available unless you use the non-free,
non-open distro.

Re: PostgreSql with or without Plus?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Exactly my point: it is not a value-add for Postgres Plus, which was the
> only value-add you mentioned. Those features either work with standard
> Postgres distro, or they are not available unless you use the non-free,
> non-open distro.

Some clarification:

Postgres Plus Advanced Server:

Is neither free, or open source. It includes Dynatune, Oracle
compatibility & migration features, GridSQL and other tools. It is
produced by EnterpriseDB.

Postgres Plus Standard Server:

Is free and open source. It includes installation-time tuning based on
Dynatune. It includes pgAdmin, PostGIS, Slony, psqlODBC pgJDBC and
other apps in the package. iirc, the Linux build also include GridSQL
and pgMemcache. It is produced by EnterpriseDB.

PostgreSQL:

Is free and open source. The one-click installers are produced by
EnterpriseDB and include pgAdmin and StackBuilder. StackBuilder will
download and install lots of additional packages, including the Tuning
Wizard which is based on Dynatune. There are also disto-specific
builds of PostgreSQL available for various platforms, including a
comprehensive set of RPMs (maintained by Devrim at Command Prompt).
Those packages are built by a number of other community members.

--
Dave Page

Date:
On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 11:19 +0530, Ashish Karalkar wrote:

> Postgres Plus does support  Linux and it includes all the PostgreSQL
> features as well as have many other additional useful features.One of
> which is its dyna tune module.

Yes it does, but it doesn't use native packages (as far as I know).
Meaning, it doesn't use RPM or DEB.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: PostgreSql with or without Plus?

From
Jennifer Trey
Date:
I am sorry, but it seems that I replied to only one of you instead of to the mailing list.

I am just about to install a version on my "Server computer" (Windows web server 2008 x64) and I am stuck on what I should go with.

I have been developing on the standard postgreSQL but like that the EnterpriseDB webpage claims that "Standard Plus" is faster.

Is there something that will work differently, more complex with that version? Not free, or similar? Something I should know? Why would they give out a better version, if both are free??? There is something fishy going on :P

Thanks / Jennifer

Date:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Jennifer Trey <jennifer.trey@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sorry, but it seems that I replied to only one of you instead of to the
> mailing list.
> I am just about to install a version on my "Server computer" (Windows web
> server 2008 x64) and I am stuck on what I should go with.
> I have been developing on the standard postgreSQL but like that the
> EnterpriseDB webpage claims that "Standard Plus" is faster.

Where does it claim that? Standard Server is pure community
PostgreSQL, with a bunch of extra stuff in the installer.

--
Dave Page

Re: PostgreSql with or without Plus?

From
Jennifer Trey
Date:
Hmm, cant find it.. but.. if I install the regular (not plus), could I later upgrade easily to other versions ? Is that possible? In that case I could just start with the one I already are familiar with.

Jen

EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Date:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Jennifer Trey <jennifer.trey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, cant find it.. but.. if I install the regular (not plus), could I later
> upgrade easily to other versions ? Is that possible? In that case I could
> just start with the one I already are familiar with.

It's quite straightforward, yes.

--
Dave Page