Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
Hi Chaps,

I'm attempting to run 8.3.3 on an old cobalt qube, with debian etch. It appeared to compile ok (however I didn't stick
aroundto watch, that'd be painfull) and said "PostgreSQL compiled successfully and ready to install" or whatever, but
whenI run make check, fails in initdb.

Here is the message and the initdb log file contents showing "bus error"

http://privatepaste.com/47jTTGw5XC

I've configured it as I usually do "./configure --with-perl --with-python --with-tcl --with-openssl --with-pam
--with-krb5".

Of course running on a more obscure machine I don't expect too much to be honest, but does anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps the kernel is missing support for something?

Thanks
Glyn

Not happy with your email address?.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Glyn Astill wrote:
> Hi Chaps,
>
> I'm attempting to run 8.3.3 on an old cobalt qube, with debian etch.
> It appeared to compile ok (however I didn't stick around to watch,
> that'd be painfull) and said "PostgreSQL compiled successfully and
> ready to install" or whatever, but when I run make check, fails in
> initdb.
>
> Here is the message and the initdb log file contents showing "bus
> error"
>
> http://privatepaste.com/47jTTGw5XC

Looks like a problem trying to determine how much shared memory it can
allocate.

selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... sh: line 1: 22630 Bus
error (core dumped)
"/usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres"
--boot -x0 -F -c max_connections=10 -c shared_buffers=4096 -c
max_fsm_pages=204800 <"/dev/null" >"/dev/null" 2>&1

Can you support 4096 shared-buffers on this? Afraid I don't know
anything about shared-mem handling on mips, but it might be that the
max-shared-memory detection got something wrong.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
I assume it's doing it correctly

deb:/home/glyn# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
33554432

That's right isn't it?

 4096*8192= 33554432

Date:
Glyn Astill wrote:
> I assume it's doing it correctly
>
> deb:/home/glyn# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
> 33554432
>
> That's right isn't it?
>
>  4096*8192= 33554432

Does shmall allow for any more? Other processes may be preventing you
from allocating all that. Of course, ideally you'd get an error message
regarding allocation rather than a bus error.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
deb:/home/glyn# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
2097152

deb:/home/glyn# getconf PAGE_SIZE
4096

Date:
Glyn Astill wrote:
> Yes I think it does?
>
> deb:/home/glyn# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
> 2097152
>
> deb:/home/glyn# getconf PAGE_SIZE
> 4096

Well, if it's using PAGE_SIZE then that's 8GB which sounds optimistic
for a qube. Presumably it represents some theoretical maximum.

Did a previous version of PG work on this box?

Actually, does Debian's package of PG (whatever version) work on this box?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
I thought similar, I assumed it was sort sort of generic maximum. The qube is very old so there's only 196Mb ram in it.

Nope, never tried postgres on this qube before. I've not tried debians package, it was 8.1 as I recall.

I'll give the package ago purely as a test unless anyone can see any other reasons for the errors?

I wanted to have 8.3.3 from source on it so I could poke around.

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I'm attempting to run 8.3.3 on an old cobalt qube, with debian etch. It appeared to compile ok (however I didn't
stickaround to watch, that'd be painfull) and said "PostgreSQL compiled successfully and ready to install" or whatever,
butwhen I run make check, fails in initdb.

> Here is the message and the initdb log file contents showing "bus error"

Could we see a gdb stack trace from that core dump?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
Could this be any less informative?

Core was generated by `/usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pg'.
Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
#0  0x007572d0 in ?? ()

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Could this be any less informative?
> Core was generated by `/usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pg'.
> Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
> #0  0x007572d0 in ?? ()

Probably not :-(.  Did you build with --enable-debug?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
No. Will recompile with debug info and post back when done.

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> No. Will recompile with debug info and post back when done.

FWIW, the most likely issue here is the MIPS-specific assembly code in
src/include/storage/s_lock.h --- I'm not sure how many MIPS platforms
that's really been exercised on, but it may not work on yours.  While
you're waiting for the rebuild you might try to find a MIPS guru to
show that code to.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Lennin Caro

> I'm attempting to run 8.3.3 on an old cobalt qube, with
> debian etch. It appeared to compile ok (however I didn't
> stick around to watch, that'd be painfull) and said
> "PostgreSQL compiled successfully and ready to
> install" or whatever, but when I run make check, fails
> in initdb.
>
> Here is the message and the initdb log file contents
> showing "bus error"
>
> http://privatepaste.com/47jTTGw5XC

>> the user ho execute the command initdb have owner to the directory where the cluster was create
>> check the owner from the directory and permission

> I've configured it as I usually do "./configure
> --with-perl --with-python --with-tcl --with-openssl
> --with-pam --with-krb5".
>
> Of course running on a more obscure machine I don't
> expect too much to be honest, but does anyone have any
> ideas?
>
> Perhaps the kernel is missing support for something?
>
> Thanks
> Glyn

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Tom Lane wrote:
> Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> No. Will recompile with debug info and post back when done.
>
> FWIW, the most likely issue here is the MIPS-specific assembly code in
> src/include/storage/s_lock.h --- I'm not sure how many MIPS platforms
> that's really been exercised on, but it may not work on yours.  While
> you're waiting for the rebuild you might try to find a MIPS guru to
> show that code to.

hmm well - lionfish (which is now offline due to a broken power supply)
is actually a cobalt cube too (and is running debian). So if we really
managed to break mipsel it must have happened in the last few months:

http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=lionfish&br=HEAD

Stefan

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
> From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Glyn Astill writes:
> >> No. Will recompile with debug info and post back when done.
> >
> > FWIW, the most likely issue here is the MIPS-specific assembly code in
> > src/include/storage/s_lock.h --- I'm not sure how many MIPS platforms
> > that's really been exercised on, but it may not work on yours.  While
> > you're waiting for the rebuild you might try to find a MIPS guru to
> > show that code to.
>
> hmm well - lionfish (which is now offline due to a broken power supply)
> is actually a cobalt cube too (and is running debian). So if we really
> managed to break mipsel it must have happened in the last few months:
>

> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=lionfish&br=HEAD
>

> Stefandumb here

Hmm, well I've still not ruled out the possibility that I've done something stupid yet.  Also I see that lionfish is
runningsarge, and I'm running etch.

Once I get time to recompile I'll try and find out a little more.

Would the mips specific code behave differently on different oses? My other qube is running netbsd4, I'd be interested
tosee what goes off on that, however I'ts my live email/web/everything server and I didn't want to upset it.

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Would the mips specific code behave differently on different oses?

I'm more worried about there being more than one type of MIPS CPU out
there.  Do all qubes contain exactly the same sub-architecture?
The references to "mips2" in s_lock.h are attention-getting ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
I think so yes.

Qube/Raq2's have a RM5231 in them, whereas the Qube/Raq had a slowere RM5230 with less cache. Then the 3's moved on to
thex86 platform.

A recompile with --enable-debug, then rerunning the make check gave me the same backtrace from gdb

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> A recompile with --enable-debug, then rerunning the make check gave me the same backtrace from gdb

Did you actually give a "bt" command, or was that just the initial
output from gdb?

Another thing to try is looking around the current instruction pointer:

x/i $pc
x/32i $pc-32

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill

> Did you actually give a "bt" command, or was that
> just the initial
> output from gdb?

Yeah I used the bt command, which gave exactly the same output as the initial output.  However you'll have to bear with
mehere, as I am new to gdb, so there is the possibility I'm just not doing things right at all.

> Another thing to try is looking around the current
> instruction pointer:
>
> x/i $pc
> x/32i $pc-32

I've just recompiled again after configuring with --enable-debug, and for completeness here's all the output from gdb:

# gdb /usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb core
GNU gdb 6.4.90-debian
This GDB was configured as "mipsel-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
#0  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7572d0.

    GDB is unable to find the start of the function at 0x7572d0
and thus can't determine the size of that function's stack frame.
This means that GDB may be unable to access that stack frame, or
the frames below it.
    This problem is most likely caused by an invalid program counter or
stack pointer.
    However, if you think GDB should simply search farther back
from 0x7572d0 for code which looks like the beginning of a
function, you can increase the range of the search using the `set
heuristic-fence-post' command.
#1  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7572d0.
Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb)  set heuristic-fence-post 10000000
(gdb) bt
#0  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7572d0.
#1  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7572d0.
Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb) x/i $pc
0x7572d0:       Cannot access memory at address 0x7572d0
(gdb) x/32i $pc

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I've just recompiled again after configuring with --enable-debug, and for completeness here's all the output from
gdb:

> # gdb /usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb core

Well, there's part of your problem: the program that is crashing is not
initdb.  Specify the postgres executable, instead.  Note the

> warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
> Core was generated by `/usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pg'.

though this is evidently getting confused by the overly long path,
so you might still see the warning even after picking the right
executable.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> Well, there's part of your problem: the program that is
> crashing is not
> initdb.  Specify the postgres executable, instead.  Note
> the
>
> > warning: core file may not match specified executable
> file.
> > Core was generated by
> `/usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pg'.

Ok, that helps a bit and the output now looks a little more useful:

Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
#0  InitializeGUCOptions () at guc.c:3133
3133                    if (new_limit > 100)
(gdb) bt
#0  InitializeGUCOptions () at guc.c:3133
#1  0x004a1ec8 in AuxiliaryProcessMain (argc=4, argv=<value optimized out>)
    at bootstrap.c:230
#2  0x005979a8 in main (argc=4, argv=<value optimized out>) at main.c:147
(gdb)

So, guc.c:3133 is doing something to try and set stack depth.... And I've no idea what I'm looking for unfortunately.

And, the instruction pointer info:

(gdb) x/i $pc
0x7572d0 <InitializeGUCOptions+648>:
    beqz        v0,0x75748c <InitializeGUCOptions+1092>
(gdb) x/32i $pc-32
0x7572b0 <InitializeGUCOptions+616>:
    blez        v0,0x7572d8 <InitializeGUCOptions+656>
0x7572b4 <InitializeGUCOptions+620>:    move    v1,v0
0x7572b8 <InitializeGUCOptions+624>:    lui     v0,0xfff8
0x7572bc <InitializeGUCOptions+628>:    addu    v0,v1,v0
0x7572c0 <InitializeGUCOptions+632>:
    bltz        v0,0x75753c <InitializeGUCOptions+1268>
0x7572c4 <InitializeGUCOptions+636>:    nop
0x7572c8 <InitializeGUCOptions+640>:    sra     a2,v0,0xa
0x7572cc <InitializeGUCOptions+644>:    slti    v0,a2,101
0x7572d0 <InitializeGUCOptions+648>:
    beqz        v0,0x75748c <InitializeGUCOptions+1092>
0x7572d4 <InitializeGUCOptions+652>:    slti    v0,a2,2049
0x7572d8 <InitializeGUCOptions+656>:    lw      ra,84(sp)
0x7572dc <InitializeGUCOptions+660>:    lw      s8,80(sp)
0x7572e0 <InitializeGUCOptions+664>:    lw      s7,76(sp)
0x7572e4 <InitializeGUCOptions+668>:    lw      s6,72(sp)
0x7572e8 <InitializeGUCOptions+672>:    lw      s5,68(sp)
0x7572ec <InitializeGUCOptions+676>:    lw      s4,64(sp)
0x7572f0 <InitializeGUCOptions+680>:    lw      s3,60(sp)
0x7572f4 <InitializeGUCOptions+684>:    lw      s2,56(sp)
0x7572f8 <InitializeGUCOptions+688>:    lw      s1,52(sp)
0x7572fc <InitializeGUCOptions+692>:    lw      s0,48(sp)
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
0x757300 <InitializeGUCOptions+696>:    jr      ra
0x757304 <InitializeGUCOptions+700>:    addiu   sp,sp,88
0x757308 <InitializeGUCOptions+704>:    lw      t9,60(s0)
0x75730c <InitializeGUCOptions+708>:    nop
0x757310 <InitializeGUCOptions+712>:
    beqz        t9,0x757330 <InitializeGUCOptions+744>
0x757314 <InitializeGUCOptions+716>:    li      a1,1
0x757318 <InitializeGUCOptions+720>:    lw      a0,48(s0)
0x75731c <InitializeGUCOptions+724>:    jalr    t9
0x757320 <InitializeGUCOptions+728>:    move    a2,zero
0x757324 <InitializeGUCOptions+732>:    lw      gp,24(sp)
0x757328 <InitializeGUCOptions+736>:
    beqz        v0,0x757454 <InitializeGUCOptions+1036>
0x75732c <InitializeGUCOptions+740>:    addiu   a0,s6,-8968
(gdb)

> though this is evidently getting confused by the overly
> long path,
> so you might still see the warning even after picking the
> right
> executable.

I thought the same, but was hoping it's just a display problem.

Date:
> The only
> thought that
> comes to mind is that the branch is being attempted but
> there's garbage
> at InitializeGUCOptions+1092 ?  Try "x/32i
> InitializeGUCOptions+1092"
>
> What ulimit settings are operative anyway?  (ulimit -a
> might tell you)

(gdb) x/32i InitializeGUCOptions+1092
0x75748c <InitializeGUCOptions+1092>:
    bnez        v0,0x757498 <InitializeGUCOptions+1104>
0x757490 <InitializeGUCOptions+1096>:   nop
0x757494 <InitializeGUCOptions+1100>:   li      a2,2048
0x757498 <InitializeGUCOptions+1104>:   lw      a1,-32720(gp)
0x75749c <InitializeGUCOptions+1108>:   lw      t9,-30852(gp)
0x7574a0 <InitializeGUCOptions+1112>:   addiu   s0,sp,32
0x7574a4 <InitializeGUCOptions+1116>:   addiu   a1,a1,-11352
0x7574a8 <InitializeGUCOptions+1120>:   jalr    t9
0x7574ac <InitializeGUCOptions+1124>:   move    a0,s0
0x7574b0 <InitializeGUCOptions+1128>:   lw      gp,24(sp)
0x7574b4 <InitializeGUCOptions+1132>:   move    a1,s0
0x7574b8 <InitializeGUCOptions+1136>:   lw      a0,-32720(gp)
0x7574bc <InitializeGUCOptions+1140>:   lw      t9,-13328(gp)
0x7574c0 <InitializeGUCOptions+1144>:   addiu   a0,a0,-6048
0x7574c4 <InitializeGUCOptions+1148>:   li      a2,1
0x7574c8 <InitializeGUCOptions+1152>:   jalr    t9
0x7574cc <InitializeGUCOptions+1156>:   li      a3,1
0x7574d0 <InitializeGUCOptions+1160>:   lw      gp,24(sp)
0x7574d4 <InitializeGUCOptions+1164>:
    b   0x7572d8 <InitializeGUCOptions+656>
0x7574d8 <InitializeGUCOptions+1168>:   nop
0x7574dc <InitializeGUCOptions+1172>:   lw      t9,-26816(gp)
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
0x7574e0 <InitializeGUCOptions+1176>:   li      a1,3042
0x7574e4 <InitializeGUCOptions+1180>:   jalr    t9
0x7574e8 <InitializeGUCOptions+1184>:   addiu   a2,s5,-9132
0x7574ec <InitializeGUCOptions+1188>:   lw      gp,24(sp)
0x7574f0 <InitializeGUCOptions+1192>:   lwc1    $f0,48(s0)
0x7574f4 <InitializeGUCOptions+1196>:   lw      a1,-32720(gp)
0x7574f8 <InitializeGUCOptions+1200>:   lwc1    $f1,52(s0)
0x7574fc <InitializeGUCOptions+1204>:   lw      a2,0(s0)
0x757500 <InitializeGUCOptions+1208>:   lw      t9,-27888(gp)
0x757504 <InitializeGUCOptions+1212>:   swc1    $f0,16(sp)
0x757508 <InitializeGUCOptions+1216>:   swc1    $f1,20(sp)
(gdb) q
deb:/usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress# ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
max nice                        (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) unlimited
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) unlimited
max rt priority                 (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) unlimited

Not happy with your email address?.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill

> The stack size rlimit looks normal, which makes a crash in
> this spot
> look even less probable.  I think maybe you are looking at
> a stale
> corefile that doesn't quite correspond to this postgres
> executable.

You are correct. I just checked and the core file was created on the 18th, that must be from the first attempt to run
makecheck. I just assumed that the next time I attempted to run make check it'd be overwriting it, and that's obviously
notthe case.

I'll try and get it to generate a fresh file.

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> What ulimit settings are operative anyway?  (ulimit -a
>> might tell you)

> deb:/usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress# ulimit -a
> core file size          (blocks, -c) 0

Hmm, are you sure the core actually corresponds to your failure?
Because this says you've got core dumps turned off.

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> And, the instruction pointer info:

> (gdb) x/i $pc
> 0x7572d0 <InitializeGUCOptions+648>:
>     beqz        v0,0x75748c <InitializeGUCOptions+1092>

Huh.  The pc could possibly be a bit off from reality in this type of
error, but none of the instructions immediately around it look like they
could be making a bogus memory access either.  The only thought that
comes to mind is that the branch is being attempted but there's garbage
at InitializeGUCOptions+1092 ?  Try "x/32i InitializeGUCOptions+1092"

What ulimit settings are operative anyway?  (ulimit -a might tell you)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
Hi chaps,

I'm still trying to get postgres working on my qube2 with debian. I've downgraded it to sarge, and it's a little
better,however now when compiling I get "functions.o: file not recognized: File truncated"

http://privatepaste.com/3f1j0tI0ow

Any ideas?

> > The stack size rlimit looks normal, which makes a
> crash in
> > this spot
> > look even less probable.  I think maybe you are
> looking at
> > a stale
> > corefile that doesn't quite correspond to this
> postgres
> > executable.
> >

> You are correct. I just checked and the core file was
> created on the 18th, that must be from the first attempt to
> run make check. I just assumed that the next time I
> attempted to run make check it'd be overwriting it, and
> that's obviously not the case.
>
> I'll try and get it to generate a fresh file.

Not happy with your email address?.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
Heres a backtrace on a fresh core file

http://privatepaste.com/911BTjYrY1

Does this change get us any closer?

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Heres a backtrace on a fresh core file
> http://privatepaste.com/911BTjYrY1
> Does this change get us any closer?

Not really ... there's no plausible reason to crash there, either.

Just for entertainment's sake, try recompiling with -O0 instead of the
default -O2.  (Rather than trying to browbeat configure into doing this,
I'd suggest manually adjusting CFLAGS in src/Makefile.global, then
"make clean" and rebuild.)  This has two purposes: if it's a compiler
bug, that will likely make it go away; and if gdb is misleading us about
exactly where the crash is, that should help it give a correct answer.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> (Rather than trying to browbeat configure into doing this, I'd suggest
> manually adjusting CFLAGS in src/Makefile.global, then "make clean" and
> rebuild.)

eh? either of these should work fine:

 ./configure --enable-debug CFLAGS=-O0
 CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure --enable-debug

And yes, you have to do make clean. I often forget that step :(

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

Date:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> (Rather than trying to browbeat configure into doing this, I'd suggest
>> manually adjusting CFLAGS in src/Makefile.global, then "make clean" and
>> rebuild.)

> eh? either of these should work fine:
>  ./configure --enable-debug CFLAGS=-O0
>  CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure --enable-debug

The trouble with that approach is that it overrides *everything* that
configure would normally put into CFLAGS.  I only want one thing
changing, please ... this is confusing enough already.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > (Rather than trying to browbeat configure into doing this, I'd suggest
> > manually adjusting CFLAGS in src/Makefile.global, then "make clean" and
> > rebuild.)
>
> eh? either of these should work fine:
>
>  ./configure --enable-debug CFLAGS=-O0
>  CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure --enable-debug
>
> And yes, you have to do make clean. I often forget that step :(

I find it easier to create a src/Makefile.custom containing the
following line:

CFLAGS := $(patsubst -O2,-O0,$(CFLAGS))

When I'm done I just rename the file away to keep it around for next
time.

Date:
> > "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> >
> > > (Rather than trying to browbeat configure into
> doing this, I'd suggest
> > > manually adjusting CFLAGS in src/Makefile.global,
> then "make clean" and
> > > rebuild.)
> >
> > eh? either of these should work fine:
> >
> >  ./configure --enable-debug CFLAGS=-O0
> >  CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure --enable-debug
> >
> > And yes, you have to do make clean. I often forget
> that step :(
>
> I find it easier to create a src/Makefile.custom containing
> the
> following line:
>
> CFLAGS := $(patsubst -O2,-O0,$(CFLAGS))
>
> When I'm done I just rename the file away to keep it
> around for next
> time.

I'm going to keep things simple and just do as Tom says by editing Makefile.global and we'll see what happens.
Hopefullyat the very lease it'll compile a little quicker with the optimization off.

Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>>> (Rather than trying to browbeat configure into doing this, I'd suggest
>>> manually adjusting CFLAGS in src/Makefile.global, then "make clean" and
>>> rebuild.)
>
>> eh? either of these should work fine:
>>  ./configure --enable-debug CFLAGS=-O0
>>  CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure --enable-debug
>
> The trouble with that approach is that it overrides *everything* that
> configure would normally put into CFLAGS.  I only want one thing
> changing, please ... this is confusing enough already.

Eh?

$ ./configure
configure: using CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-Wendif-labels-fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv
configure: using CPPFLAGS= -D_GNU_SOURCE
configure: using LDFLAGS=  -Wl,--as-needed

$ ./configure CFLAGS=-O0
configure: using CFLAGS=-O0 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement

Date:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> The trouble with that approach is that it overrides *everything* that
>> configure would normally put into CFLAGS.  I only want one thing
>> changing, please ... this is confusing enough already.

> Eh?

Sorry, memory failed me: what gets overridden is CFLAGS set by the
platform-specific template file.  That's not a big problem on mainstream
platforms, but on some it will break your build.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
http://privatepaste.com/cbY2S4JhtA

Very little difference with the -O0

Date:
Glyn Astill wrote:
> http://privatepaste.com/cbY2S4JhtA
>
> Very little difference with the -O0

FWIW: there also seems to be a fairly indepth discussion on the cobalt
related netbsd list from last year about a problem that looks very
similiar (at least to you issue with etch):

http://www.nabble.com/Strange-segmentation-fault-trying-to-run-postgresql-on-current-to9997129.html

Stefan

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

Date:
[ cc'ing Remi to see if he remembers anything about how he got around this ]

Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> FWIW: there also seems to be a fairly indepth discussion on the cobalt
> related netbsd list from last year about a problem that looks very
> similiar (at least to you issue with etch):
> http://www.nabble.com/Strange-segmentation-fault-trying-to-run-postgresql-on-current-to9997129.html

Hmm.  I'm not sure it's the same problem, because what they were getting
was SIGSEGV not SIGBUS.  OTOH I would think the latter is a more correct
errno for reporting an alignment trap, so maybe the NetBSD kernel has
been fixed since then to report SIGBUS for this case.

Anyway, it would be easy to verify this theory by looking at the
instruction stream and registers in Glyn's dump, to see if it's trying
to store at a non-aligned address.

The conclusion of the thread seemed to be that it was a linker or
assembler problem triggered by our use of SUBSYS.o files to aggregate
all the backend .o files into a smaller number of files for the final
link.  If so the answer is either (a) update to a newer toolchain
that might fix the problem, or (b) try our CVS HEAD which doesn't
use the SUBSYS.o trick anymore.  Mind you, I'd not especially recommend
trying to run CVS HEAD for production purposes, but it would be real
interesting at this point to see if you can compile it and run the
regression tests with the toolchain you've got.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> Mind you, I'd not especially recommend trying to run CVS HEAD for
> production purposes, but it would be real interesting at this point
> to see if you can compile it and run the regression tests with the
> toolchain you've got.

I've no problem doing that, this machine is a toy not a production system.

I've had little contact with CVS. Should I follow something at the following URL, or should I go elsewhere?

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_CVS

Not happy with your email address?.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
"Jaime Casanova"
Date:
On 8/6/08, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Mind you, I'd not especially recommend trying to run CVS HEAD for
> > production purposes, but it would be real interesting at this point
> > to see if you can compile it and run the regression tests with the
> > toolchain you've got.
> >

> I've no problem doing that, this machine is a toy not a production system.
>
> I've had little contact with CVS. Should I follow something at the following URL, or should I go elsewhere?
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_CVS

that is for setup your local copy of the repository, you should only need this:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/anoncvs.html

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Date:
> The conclusion of the thread seemed to be that it was a
> linker or
> assembler problem triggered by our use of SUBSYS.o files to
> aggregate
> all the backend .o files into a smaller number of files for
> the final
> link.  If so the answer is either (a) update to a newer
> toolchain
> that might fix the problem, or (b) try our CVS HEAD which
> doesn't
> use the SUBSYS.o trick anymore.  Mind you, I'd not
> especially recommend
> trying to run CVS HEAD for production purposes, but it
> would be real
> interesting at this point to see if you can compile it and
> run the
> regression tests with the toolchain you've got.

So tonight I've built CVS HEAD and rerun make check.

All 115 tests passed! It works :-)

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> The conclusion of the thread seemed to be that it was a linker or
>> assembler problem triggered by our use of SUBSYS.o files to aggregate
>> all the backend .o files into a smaller number of files for the final
>> link.  If so the answer is either (a) update to a newer toolchain
>> that might fix the problem, or (b) try our CVS HEAD which doesn't use
>> the SUBSYS.o trick anymore.

> So tonight I've built CVS HEAD and rerun make check.
> All 115 tests passed! It works :-)

Okay, so it is indeed the linker's fault.  Now try plan (a) --- can you
find a more up-to-date toolchain?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error

From
Glyn Astill

> Okay, so it is indeed the linker's fault.  Now try plan
> (a) --- can you
> find a more up-to-date toolchain?

Well I've tried looking in apt, and the latest package is the version I've got, (the toolchain is more than just gcc
isn'tit though?) is there another way to get a more up to date toolchain?

Here's what I'm running ont he qube;

glyn@deb:~$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: mipsel-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr
--enable-shared--with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls
--program-suffix=-4.1--enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --disable-libssp
--enable-checking=releasemipsel-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

And heres what I have on the servers at work;

Way5a:/pgsql/logs# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr
--enable-shared--with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls
--program-suffix=-4.1--enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr
--enable-checking=releasex86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

Same version but different architectures.

Date:
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> Okay, so it is indeed the linker's fault.  Now try plan
>> (a) --- can you
>> find a more up-to-date toolchain?

> Well I've tried looking in apt, and the latest package is the version I've got, (the toolchain is more than just gcc
isn'tit though?) is there another way to get a more up to date toolchain?

gcc wasn't the suspected candidate --- the netbsd guys thought it was
as or ld.  On my Fedora machine those seem to be part of the binutils
package; dunno how Debian handles it.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> gcc wasn't the suspected candidate --- the netbsd guys
> thought it was
> as or ld.  On my Fedora machine those seem to be part of
> the binutils
> package; dunno how Debian handles it.

Yeah, it appears to be the binutils package on debian too. I have the latest version from apt, I've checked backports
toobut the versions are the same.