Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: Initdb problem on debian mips cobalt: Bus error
Date
List pgsql-general

> Did you actually give a "bt" command, or was that
> just the initial
> output from gdb?

Yeah I used the bt command, which gave exactly the same output as the initial output.  However you'll have to bear with
mehere, as I am new to gdb, so there is the possibility I'm just not doing things right at all.

> Another thing to try is looking around the current
> instruction pointer:
>
> x/i $pc
> x/32i $pc-32

I've just recompiled again after configuring with --enable-debug, and for completeness here's all the output from gdb:

# gdb /usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb core
GNU gdb 6.4.90-debian
This GDB was configured as "mipsel-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
Core was generated by `/usr/pgsql_src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pg'.
Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
#0  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7572d0.

    GDB is unable to find the start of the function at 0x7572d0
and thus can't determine the size of that function's stack frame.
This means that GDB may be unable to access that stack frame, or
the frames below it.
    This problem is most likely caused by an invalid program counter or
stack pointer.
    However, if you think GDB should simply search farther back
from 0x7572d0 for code which looks like the beginning of a
function, you can increase the range of the search using the `set
heuristic-fence-post' command.
#1  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7572d0.
Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb)  set heuristic-fence-post 10000000
(gdb) bt
#0  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7572d0.
#1  0x007572d0 in ?? ()
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7572d0.
Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb) x/i $pc
0x7572d0:       Cannot access memory at address 0x7572d0
(gdb) x/32i $pc
0x7572d0:       Cannot access memory at address 0x7572d0
(gdb)

Not happy with your email address?.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html