Installation question

From
Charles Hauser
Date:
Oh wise ones,

Novice trying to install postgresql-7.3.2 on linux.

I am not root, but do have sudo priv.

I unpacked the tarball in /usr.local/pkg/postgresql-7.3.2.
I got as far as adduser which failed.

Can someone point me to the error of my ways?
Implications for subsequent steps?

regards,

Charles

./configure        ok
gmake            ok
sudo gmake install    ok
adduser postgres    fail

[chauser@gulliver postgresql-7.3.2]$ adduser postgres
bash: adduser: command not found

mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

Re: Installation question

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 03:55:27PM -0500, Charles Hauser wrote:
> [chauser@gulliver postgresql-7.3.2]$ adduser postgres
> bash: adduser: command not found
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like you don't have adduser on your system, or that it;s not in
your path (I suspect the latter).  Possibly postgres is getting
installed in a location not in your path?

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Installation question

From
Hadley Willan
Date:
adduser is a command that is usually only runnable by root, I believe
you may have to grant sudo'd users explicit access to it.

It attempts to create a new user account on your box called 'postgres'.
This user then owns the postgresql server processes etc. It's not good
form to run things as root as it opens security vulnerabilities, and
users cannot voilate kernel space.

Therefore, try adding the postgres user manually and removing this step
from the process. Or sudo to the account that CAN addusers to the box
and run your install.

You may know this already.

creatdb is a shell script that wraps the db commands create database
etc...

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 09:55, Charles Hauser wrote:
> Oh wise ones,
>
> Novice trying to install postgresql-7.3.2 on linux.
>
> I am not root, but do have sudo priv.
>
> I unpacked the tarball in /usr.local/pkg/postgresql-7.3.2.
> I got as far as adduser which failed.
>
> Can someone point me to the error of my ways?
> Implications for subsequent steps?
>

> regards,
>
> Charles
>

> ./configure        ok
> gmake            ok
> sudo gmake install    ok
> adduser postgres    fail
>
> [chauser@gulliver postgresql-7.3.2]$ adduser postgres
> bash: adduser: command not found
>

> mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
> chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
> su - postgres
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

Hadley Willan > Systems Development > Deeper Design Limited. +64(7)377-3328
hadley.willan@deeperdesign.co.nz > www.deeperdesign.com > +64(21)-28-41-463
Level 1, 4 Tamamutu St, PO Box 90, TAUPO 2730, New Zealand.

Re: Installation question

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
Just skip the adduser part and run postgresql under your user account.

Or have the sysadmin add the user for you, and tell you the password he
assigned.

Date:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 04:22:09PM -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Looks like you don't have adduser on your system, or that it;s not in
> your path (I suspect the latter).  Possibly postgres is getting
> installed in a location not in your path?

I know, I know, replying to myself, but reading that over, it didn't
even make sense to me.  What I _meant_ to say was that you probably
don't have adduser in a location on your path.  You could add it
explicitly before trying to install postgres. e.g.

$ PATH=$PATH:/path/to/adduser; export PATH
$ sudo [stuff to install postgres]

My guess is that adduser is in /sbin/ or /usr/sbin.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Installation question

From
Charles Hauser
Date:
As suggested by Andrew, adduser was not in the path I was in.

[chauser@gulliver pgsql]$ ls -l /usr/sbin/adduser
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Jan 31 15:17 /usr/sbin/adduser -> useradd

> Therefore, try adding the postgres user manually and removing this step
> from the process. Or sudo to the account that CAN addusers to the box
> and run your install.

If I understand, you are saying that by running 'adduser postgres' then
I would be running as root - bad form, and that I am better off using
creatdb.

so I should;

 - mkdir usr/local/pgsql/data

 - /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

 - /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile
2>&1 &

 - creatdb -U chauser -W  test

 - /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

Re: Installation question

From
Charles Hauser
Date:
Andrew,

> I know, I know, replying to myself, but reading that over, it didn't
> even make sense to me.  What I _meant_ to say was that you probably
> don't have adduser in a location on your path.  You could add it
> explicitly before trying to install postgres. e.g.

yep, adduser lives in /usr/sbin

[chauser@gulliver pgsql]$ ls -l /usr/sbin/adduser
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Jan 31 15:17 /usr/sbin/adduser -> useradd

Charles

Re: Installation question

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On 10 Mar 2003, Charles Hauser wrote:

> As suggested by Andrew, adduser was not in the path I was in.

> If I understand, you are saying that by running 'adduser postgres' then
> I would be running as root - bad form, and that I am better off using
> creatdb.

  Don't you want to use createuser instead?

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

Re: Installation question

From
Charles Hauser
Date:
Richard,

>   Don't you want to use createuser instead?

Perhaps, first time install...........

./configure    -> ran OK
gmake        -> ran OK
su        -> I misunderstood and did NOT do this
gmake install    -> sudo gmake install  ran OK

So, I want to:
    - create a DB with me as owner

adduser postgres-> skip?

mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data

su - postgres    ->skip?

Date:
On 10 Mar 2003, Charles Hauser wrote:

> Perhaps, first time install...........
>
> ./configure    -> ran OK
> gmake        -> ran OK
> su        -> I misunderstood and did NOT do this
> gmake install    -> sudo gmake install  ran OK
>
> So, I want to:
>     - create a DB with me as owner
>
> adduser postgres-> skip?

  Beg pardon, Charles. I thought you had the postgres user added already.
What I've done in the past -- and this may be different with the 7.3 series
-- is su to postgres to run initdb, then create me as a user.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

Re: Installation question

From
Charles Hauser
Date:
Richard,

Apologize for being dense....

Is it advisable/required to:
    - create a 'postgres' user account which owns /data
    - and then create user 'chauser' as owner of a specific DB?

what I did yesterday was to:

[chauser@gulliver pgsql]$ mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
[chauser@gulliver pgsql]$ sudo chown chauser /usr/local/pgsql/data
[chauser@gulliver pgsql]$  /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"chauser".

I am not root, and can not 'adduser postgres' (sudo will not work?)

But from what I am reading I should make user 'postgres' own /data

Charles

> > Perhaps, first time install...........
> >
> > ./configure    -> ran OK
> > gmake        -> ran OK
> > su        -> I misunderstood and did NOT do this
> > gmake install    -> sudo gmake install  ran OK
> >
> > So, I want to:
> >     - create a DB with me as owner
> >
> > adduser postgres-> skip?
>
>   Beg pardon, Charles. I thought you had the postgres user added already.
> What I've done in the past -- and this may be different with the 7.3 series
> -- is su to postgres to run initdb, then create me as a user.
>
> Rich
>
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
>
>                        Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
>             2404 SW 22nd Street | Troutdale, OR 97060-1247 | U.S.A.
>  + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
>                          http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

Re: Installation question

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On 11 Mar 2003, Charles Hauser wrote:

> Is it advisable/required to:
>     - create a 'postgres' user account which owns /data
>     - and then create user 'chauser' as owner of a specific DB?

  My understanding is that postgresql installs expecting a user 'postgres'
as its admin. What I've done in the past is install postgresql then, as
root, use adduser/useradd to create the 'postgres' user account.

  Once I have postgres living here I 'su postgres' (from my username
account), start postgresql (with psql), then issue the command, 'createuser
<username> -c -u'. This creates my username as a superuser able to create
new databases and new users. Then I usually forget the password for the
'postgres' user because I do all the admin tasks as me. :-)

  Make sense?

HTH,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

Re: Installation question

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
What you've done will work fine.  If you don't have root access on the box
and can't create accounts, running it under your own account is fine.
Just know that the database, running something like an untrusted pl
language, could be used by other database users to snoop around in your
personal directory and everything.