Re: Installation question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Charles Hauser
Subject Re: Installation question
Date
Re: Installation question  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
Richard,

Apologize for being dense....

Is it advisable/required to:
    - create a 'postgres' user account which owns /data
    - and then create user 'chauser' as owner of a specific DB?

what I did yesterday was to:

[chauser@gulliver pgsql]$ mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
[chauser@gulliver pgsql]$ sudo chown chauser /usr/local/pgsql/data
[chauser@gulliver pgsql]$  /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"chauser".

I am not root, and can not 'adduser postgres' (sudo will not work?)

But from what I am reading I should make user 'postgres' own /data

Charles