Re: Installation question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Charles Hauser
Subject Re: Installation question
Date
List pgsql-general
As suggested by Andrew, adduser was not in the path I was in.

[chauser@gulliver pgsql]$ ls -l /usr/sbin/adduser
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Jan 31 15:17 /usr/sbin/adduser -> useradd

> Therefore, try adding the postgres user manually and removing this step
> from the process. Or sudo to the account that CAN addusers to the box
> and run your install.

If I understand, you are saying that by running 'adduser postgres' then
I would be running as root - bad form, and that I am better off using
creatdb.

so I should;

 - mkdir usr/local/pgsql/data

 - /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

 - /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile
2>&1 &

 - creatdb -U chauser -W  test

 - /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test