Re: Installation question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hadley Willan
Subject Re: Installation question
Date
List pgsql-general
adduser is a command that is usually only runnable by root, I believe
you may have to grant sudo'd users explicit access to it.

It attempts to create a new user account on your box called 'postgres'.
This user then owns the postgresql server processes etc. It's not good
form to run things as root as it opens security vulnerabilities, and
users cannot voilate kernel space.

Therefore, try adding the postgres user manually and removing this step
from the process. Or sudo to the account that CAN addusers to the box
and run your install.

You may know this already.

creatdb is a shell script that wraps the db commands create database
etc...

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 09:55, Charles Hauser wrote:
> Oh wise ones,
>
> Novice trying to install postgresql-7.3.2 on linux.
>
> I am not root, but do have sudo priv.
>
> I unpacked the tarball in /usr.local/pkg/postgresql-7.3.2.
> I got as far as adduser which failed.
>
> Can someone point me to the error of my ways?
> Implications for subsequent steps?
>

> regards,
>
> Charles
>

> ./configure        ok
> gmake            ok
> sudo gmake install    ok
> adduser postgres    fail
>
> [chauser@gulliver postgresql-7.3.2]$ adduser postgres
> bash: adduser: command not found
>

> mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
> chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
> su - postgres
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

Hadley Willan > Systems Development > Deeper Design Limited. +64(7)377-3328
hadley.willan@deeperdesign.co.nz > www.deeperdesign.com > +64(21)-28-41-463
Level 1, 4 Tamamutu St, PO Box 90, TAUPO 2730, New Zealand.