Books on PostgreSQL

Date:
Vince, our webmaster, has put up a nice list of PostgreSQL books.  Good
to see them listed all in one place:

    http://www.us.postgresql.org/books/index.html

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
wyatt@draggoo.com
Date:
If there are any out there, could he also put up links to reviews of the books?  I know that Amazon has a few, but I'd
liketo see comparisons of the books, etc.

Wyatt

> Vince, our webmaster, has put up a nice list of PostgreSQL books.  Good
> to see them listed all in one place:
>
>     http://www.us.postgresql.org/books/index.html

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Vince, our webmaster, has put up a nice list of PostgreSQL books.  Good
> to see them listed all in one place:
>
>    http://www.us.postgresql.org/books/index.html

    I  see  Al  Dev's old book there, but no reference to his new
    one.  Does anyone know if the new or the old is  better  (for
    what purpose ever)?

Jan

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

Date:
wyatt@draggoo.com wrote:
> If there are any out there, could he also put up links to reviews of the books?  I know that Amazon has a few, but
I'dlike to see comparisons of the books, etc.

Our techdocs has a listing of some.

    http://techdocs.postgresql.org/

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Vince, our webmaster, has put up a nice list of PostgreSQL books.  Good
> > to see them listed all in one place:
> >
> >    http://www.us.postgresql.org/books/index.html
>
>     I  see  Al  Dev's old book there, but no reference to his new
>     one.  Does anyone know if the new or the old is  better  (for
>     what purpose ever)?

I thought it was the same book.  It's the only one Amazon listed.

Vince.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> > >     I  see  Al  Dev's old book there, but no reference to his new
> > >     one.  Does anyone know if the new or the old is  better  (for
> > >     what purpose ever)?
> >
> > I thought it was the same book.  It's the only one Amazon listed.
>
>     No, that's the old version, or simply a print of his original
>     database HOWTO. I don't know if his new one (if it exists  at
>     all) is available by now.

Should it be removed?

Vince.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Jan Wieck
Date:

Date:
Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> > Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> > > I thought it was the same book.  It's the only one Amazon listed.
> >
> >     No, that's the old version, or simply a print of his original
> >     database HOWTO. I don't know if his new one (if it exists  at
> >     all) is available by now.
>
> Should it be removed?

    You know his old Database-SQL-RDBMS Howto, don't you?  Do you
    think it's good for PostgreSQL if we point to THAT  from  our
    site?  I  mean,  why did want it to be removed from the Linux
    documentation project?

Jan

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

Date:
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
>> No, that's the old version, or simply a print of his original
>> database HOWTO. I don't know if his new one (if it exists  at
>> all) is available by now.

> Should it be removed?

I don't think we want to implicitly endorse it by listing it.
Certainly not without a big red disclaimer...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> >> No, that's the old version, or simply a print of his original
> >> database HOWTO. I don't know if his new one (if it exists  at
> >> all) is available by now.
>
> > Should it be removed?
>
> I don't think we want to implicitly endorse it by listing it.
> Certainly not without a big red disclaimer...

Nota problem.  It's outa print anyway.

Vince.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

Date:

> > >     No, that's the old version, or simply a print of his original
> > >     database HOWTO. I don't know if his new one (if it exists  at
> > >     all) is available by now.
> >
> > Should it be removed?
>
>     You know his old Database-SQL-RDBMS Howto, don't you?  Do you
>     think it's good for PostgreSQL if we point to THAT  from  our
>     site?  I  mean,  why did want it to be removed from the Linux
>     documentation project?

Ditto.  Vince, I think removal is a good idea.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> > >     No, that's the old version, or simply a print of his original
> > >     database HOWTO. I don't know if his new one (if it exists  at
> > >     all) is available by now.
> >
> > Should it be removed?
>
>     You know his old Database-SQL-RDBMS Howto, don't you?  Do you
>     think it's good for PostgreSQL if we point to THAT  from  our
>     site?  I  mean,  why did want it to be removed from the Linux
>     documentation project?

I don't recall the how to or the history.  Too long ago and not enuf
beer probably!

Vince.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> >> No, that's the old version, or simply a print of his original
> >> database HOWTO. I don't know if his new one (if it exists  at
> >> all) is available by now.
>
> > Should it be removed?
>
> I don't think we want to implicitly endorse it by listing it.
> Certainly not without a big red disclaimer...

We could have a section on:

Not Recommended Reading List

:)

Books Only for Those with Sense of Humor

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
"Kaare Rasmussen"
Date:
> I don't recall the how to or the history.  Too long ago and not enuf
> beer probably!

It was a terrible piece of work. Claiming to be the Linux Database How-To,
it mixed true information about PostgreSQL with political (or religious,
I've forgot now) statements, stepping on everybodys toes.

I wouldn't know if his book is the same. I think that it sould not be
removed just because he's the author, but if the content is the same - out!

But what about this one:
Professional SQL Server Development with Access 2000 by Rick Dobson
What has that got to do with PostgreSQL ??

Howitzvej 75               Åben 14.00-18.00        Web:      www.suse.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 11.00-17.00       Email: kar@kakidata.dk

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Justin Clift
Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> > > Should it be removed?
> >
> > I don't think we want to implicitly endorse it by listing it.
> > Certainly not without a big red disclaimer...
>
> We could have a section on:
>
> Not Recommended Reading List
>
> :)
>
> Books Only for Those with Sense of Humor

I'd seriously prefer we list it prominently, with the aforementioned big
red warning.  At present I'm trying to convince the online retailers not
to sell it as rewarding him for his mis-information is only going to
keep him doing it.

I just wish he'd spend his time on beneficial things, instead of the
crap he does.

+ Justin

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> > I don't recall the how to or the history.  Too long ago and not enuf
> > beer probably!
>
> It was a terrible piece of work. Claiming to be the Linux Database How-To,
> it mixed true information about PostgreSQL with political (or religious,
> I've forgot now) statements, stepping on everybodys toes.
>
> I wouldn't know if his book is the same. I think that it sould not be
> removed just because he's the author, but if the content is the same - out!

Doesn't matter now, it's out of print so I pulled it.

> But what about this one:
> Professional SQL Server Development with Access 2000 by Rick Dobson
> What has that got to do with PostgreSQL ??

It's already gone.  For some reason it comes up on a search for
postgresql on amazon.  In fact it shows up as #1.

Vince.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
"Esger Abbink"
Date:
> "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> > > I don't think we want to implicitly endorse it by listing it.
> > > Certainly not without a big red disclaimer...
> >
> > We could have a section on:
> >
> > Not Recommended Reading List
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Books Only for Those with Sense of Humor

my vote would be for it to list under the 2nd section then, as its quite funny to read ;)

(i just looked it up via google)

> I'd seriously prefer we list it prominently, with the aforementioned big
> red warning.  At present I'm trying to convince the online retailers not
> to sell it as rewarding him for his mis-information is only going to
> keep him doing it.
>
> I just wish he'd spend his time on beneficial things, instead of the
> crap he does.
>
> + Justin

>      - Indira Gandhi

NeoMail - Webmail that doesn't suck... as much.
http://neomail.sourceforge.net

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > But what about this one:
> > Professional SQL Server Development with Access 2000 by Rick Dobson
> > What has that got to do with PostgreSQL ??
>
> It's already gone.  For some reason it comes up on a search for
> postgresql on amazon.  In fact it shows up as #1.

Maybe Access2000 is just the front-end, and they use PgSQL as the backend?
:)

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
"Kaare Rasmussen"
Date:
>> > Professional SQL Server Development with Access 2000 by Rick Dobson
> Maybe Access2000 is just the front-end, and they use PgSQL as the backend?

To a lot of people, "SQL Server" means "Microsoft SQL Server". So I think
that the book is about MS products.

I searched the blurp for any sign of PostgreSQL with no success, so if there
is any pgsl related information, it is buried deeper.

Date:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> >
> > > But what about this one:
> > > Professional SQL Server Development with Access 2000 by Rick Dobson
> > > What has that got to do with PostgreSQL ??
> >
> > It's already gone.  For some reason it comes up on a search for
> > postgresql on amazon.  In fact it shows up as #1.
>
> Maybe Access2000 is just the front-end, and they use PgSQL as the backend?
> :)

I went back and read everything they had on it and the only backend
they use is ms sql.

Vince.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
"Johnson, Shaunn"

Howdy:

Have been reading the few posts about the books listed
(whatever came from Amazon and such).  I'm thinking
about getting a few books for my department, but after
re-reading some of the things you guys are saying, I'm
not so sure about which books are worth getting.

Is there anything on the list that I *should* get for
general department use?

Thanks!

-X

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:

> Howdy:
>
> Have been reading the few posts about the books listed
> (whatever came from Amazon and such).  I'm thinking
> about getting a few books for my department, but after
> re-reading some of the things you guys are saying, I'm
> not so sure about which books are worth getting.
>
> Is there anything on the list that I *should* get for
> general department use?

The only two on the list that I've seen are the first two.  I have both
and highly recommend both.

Vince.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Lee Kindness
Date:
Vince Vielhaber writes:
 > On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:
 > > Is there anything on the list that I *should* get for
 > > general department use?
 > The only two on the list that I've seen are the first two.  I have both
 > and highly recommend both.

I'd agree with Vince - I've got both ('PostgreSQL: Introduction and
Concepts' & 'Postgresql Developer's Handbook') and would recommend
them.

Lee.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
"Johnson, Shaunn"

Howdy Vince:

Is this from the following link:

http://www.us.postgresql.org/books/index.html ?

Are you talking about the 'PostgreSQL: Introduction' by Momjian
and 'Postgresql Developer's Handbook' by Geschwinde?

Or are you referring to the list on Amazon?  (whose like I can't
seem to reproduce right now.

I currently have 'PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts' for
myself ... seems okay to me since I have no prior experience
in Postgres at all ...

-X

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:

> Howdy:
>
> Have been reading the few posts about the books listed
> (whatever came from Amazon and such).  I'm thinking
> about getting a few books for my department, but after
> re-reading some of the things you guys are saying, I'm
> not so sure about which books are worth getting.
>
> Is there anything on the list that I *should* get for
> general department use?

The only two on the list that I've seen are the first two.  I have both
and highly recommend both.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
        Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
       Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Andrew Gould
Date:
The combination of the following resources have met
most of my PostgreSQL info needs (not in any order):

1.  The book "PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts"
2.  This mailing list
3.  The online documentation

My wife ordered the book "Practical PostgreSQL" from
Amazon.com for me as a Christmas gift; but to my
knowledge, it hasn't shipped yet.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould

--- "Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6@bcbsm.com> wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> Have been reading the few posts about the books
> listed
> (whatever came from Amazon and such).  I'm thinking
> about getting a few books for my department, but
> after
> re-reading some of the things you guys are saying,
> I'm
> not so sure about which books are worth getting.
>
> Is there anything on the list that I *should* get
> for
> general department use?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -X

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
"Tom Pfau"
Date:
Could the list be expanded to include publisher and ISBN information for
those of us who would like to look for the books somewhere else besides
Amazon?  Thanks.

Vince, our webmaster, has put up a nice list of PostgreSQL books.  Good
to see them listed all in one place:

    http://www.us.postgresql.org/books/index.html

  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
19026

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Shaunn,

There are some reviews of PostgreSQL and other SQL related book at :

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/bookreviews.php

If anyone else has a few reviews they'd like to add, please email them
over!

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Lee Kindness wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber writes:
>  > On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:
>  > > Is there anything on the list that I *should* get for
>  > > general department use?
>  > The only two on the list that I've seen are the first two.  I have both
>  > and highly recommend both.
>
> I'd agree with Vince - I've got both ('PostgreSQL: Introduction and
> Concepts' & 'Postgresql Developer's Handbook') and would recommend
> them.
>
> Lee.

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
tony
Date:
> Vince, our webmaster, has put up a nice list of PostgreSQL books.  Good
> to see them listed all in one place:
>
>     http://www.us.postgresql.org/books/index.html

I read Bruce online (sorry Bruce...)

I wrote a revue of PostgreSQL Essential Reference which got me straight
on some things that I missed in the online docs and which I tote with me
onsite as a quick reference - so it is serving it's purpose. (thanks
Barry and New Riders)

CALL TO BUDDING AUTHORS:

We really need a pl/pgsql cookbook much like the books in the Oracle
documentation series. A book that doesn't say one word about installing
Postgres or administering it just pure plain pl/pgsql...

</ 0.02 euro cents worth>

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S
http://www.animaproductions.com/linux2.html

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:

> Howdy Vince:
>
> Is this from the following link:
>
> http://www.us.postgresql.org/books/index.html ?
>
> Are you talking about the 'PostgreSQL: Introduction' by Momjian
> and 'Postgresql Developer's Handbook' by Geschwinde?

Those are the ones and from the list on our site(s).  Not the amazon
list.

Vince.

Re: Books on PostgreSQL

From
Elein
Date:
Johnson, Shaunn wrote:

> Howdy:
>
> Have been reading the few posts about the books listed
> (whatever came from Amazon and such).  I'm thinking
> about getting a few books for my department, but after
> re-reading some of the things you guys are saying, I'm
> not so sure about which books are worth getting.
>
> Is there anything on the list that I *should* get for
> general department use?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -X

For Object-Relational Concepts I recommend
Paul Brown's book:
    Object-Relational Database Development, A Plumber's Guide
and his book w/Stonebraker:
    Object-Relational DBMS

Very unfortunately the plumbers guide is Informix 9 (RIP)
specific in it's syntax but the concepts are solid.
For the other, it is important to remember to underlying
concepts that created postgres in the first place.

Both are must reads, imho, for anyone developing postgresql
and for users who need conceptual insights rather than
syntax and usage guides.

elein

elein@nextbus.com
(510)420-3120