Problem with initdb failing

From
"Paul R. Sand"

I have the following problem:

I get the error : IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget … when I run initdb

I do have cygipc installed and have ipc-daemon running (verified via ps)

Incidentally, I had postgres working with cygwin late yesterday before calling it a day.  Is there something that maybe was not cleaned up when I shut down?  I have removed the files /tmp/cygipc*, /tmp/MultiFile* and $PGDATA/postmaster.pid to try and get going. Nothing seems to work.

What could be I be doing wrong?

Paul R. Sand

mVerify Corporation

350 N. Orleans, Suite 950

Chicago, IL 60654

312.881.2017 (voice)

312.881.2001 (fax)

630.853.8697 (cell)

paul_sand@mverify.com

www.mverify.com

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Paul,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 03:28:53PM -0600, Paul R. Sand wrote:
> I have the following problem:
>
> I get the error : IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget ? when I run initdb

Is the above the precise error message?  Or, are you getting something
like the following:

    IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(...) failed: Function not implemented

> I do have cygipc installed and have ipc-daemon running (verified via
> ps)

You might have a version mismatch.  What does the following indicate?

    $ cygcheck -c cygipc cygwin postgresql

Jason

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
"Paul R. Sand"
Date:
Jason,

Thanks for giving me some direction.  The error was indeed:
IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(...) failed: Function not implemented

I have run cygcheck as recommended, see log below after I reinstalled cygipc
and postgresql with cygwin's setup... Now I get a problem when starting
postmaster ...

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ cygcheck -c cygwin cygipc postgresql
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygipc               2.01-2         OK
cygwin               1.5.5-1        Incomplete
postgresql           7.3.4-2        OK

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ ipc-daemon2 &
[1] 2704

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ initdb -D /usr/AMATE/data6
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"paul_sand".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/AMATE/data6... ok
creating directory /usr/AMATE/data6/base... ok
creating directory /usr/AMATE/data6/global... ok
creating directory /usr/AMATE/data6/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/AMATE/data6/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/AMATE/data6/base/1... ok
creating configuration files... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
initializing pg_depend... ok
creating system views... ok
creating conversions... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects... ok
vacuuming database template1... ok
copying template1 to template0... ok

Success. You can now start the database server using:

    /usr/bin/postmaster -D /usr/AMATE/data6
or
    /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/AMATE/data6 -l logfile start

[1]+  Done                    ipc-daemon2

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
[...]

[1] 1836

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ LOG:  database system was shut down at 2003-10-31 09:34:21 CST
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/83B238
LOG:  redo record is at 0/83B238; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction id: 480; next oid: 16976
LOG:  database system is ready
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 1668) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 2980) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 3208) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 2108) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 696) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 856) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 536) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 2844) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 1408) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 1680) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 2860) exited with exit code 1

Regards,

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Paul,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:41:00AM -0600, Paul R. Sand wrote:
> paul_sand@mverify3 ~
> $ postmaster -D /usr/AMATE/data6 &
> [1] 1836
>
> paul_sand@mverify3 ~
> $ LOG:  database system was shut down at 2003-10-31 09:34:21 CST
> LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/83B238
> LOG:  redo record is at 0/83B238; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> LOG:  next transaction id: 480; next oid: 16976
> LOG:  database system is ready
> LOG:  PGSTATBUFF: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
> LOG:  statistics collector process (pid 1668) exited with exit code 1
> [snip]

Does the following help?

Jason

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
"Paul R. Sand"
Date:
Jason,

Yes, this solves the problem. I am up and running with the basic
installation.

Now with the NT services installation I get stuck when starting ipc-daemon2
(cygrunsrv -S ipc-daemon2) I get the following error:

cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
The service has not been started.

Cygrunsrv -Q ipc-deamon2 yields the following:

Service ipc-daemon2 exists
Type                : Own Process
Current State       : Stopped
Controls Accepted   :

Regards,

Paul

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ ipc-daemon2 --install-as-service

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ #postgres already created and has "log on as service" user rights

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D
/usr/AMATE/database -i" --dep ipc-daemon2 --termsig INT --user postgres
--shutdown
Enter password of user `MVERIFY3\postgres':
Reenter, please:

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ #data directory exits and is owned by postgres

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ ls -l /usr/AMATE/
total 0
drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 10:27 data
drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 09:10 data2
drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 09:21 data3
drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 09:26 data4
drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 09:32 data5
drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 09:35 data6
drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 10:33 data7
drwxr-xr-x+   2 postgres mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 10:04 database

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ cygrunsrv -S ipc-daemon2

$

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Paul,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:06:52AM -0600, Paul R. Sand wrote:
> Yes, this solves the problem. I am up and running with the basic
> installation.

Good.

> $ ls -l /usr/AMATE/
> total 0
> drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 10:27 data
                           ^^^^^^^^
> [snip]

BTW, the mkgroup- above implies that you need to run mkgroup.

> paul_sand@mverify3 ~
> $ cygrunsrv -S ipc-daemon2
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
> The service has not been started.

What does /var/log/postmaster.log indicate?  Ditto for the NT
(Application) Event Log.

Does the following from the README apply?

    4. Cygwin PostgreSQL can fail to start or not function properly if
    certain files and directories have incorrect permissions.  The
    following usually solves these kinds of problems:

        $ chmod a+rwx /tmp
        $ chmod a+rx /usr/bin /usr/bin/*
        $ chmod a+rw /var/log # could adversely affect other daemons

Jason

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
"Paul R. Sand"
Date:
Jason,

I changed the group ownership of the files to "Administrators". Is this what
you meant by run mkgroup? Or, do I need to do anything else?

I also set the modes of the files as suggested (I had tried this previously
too) -- /tmp /usr/bin /usr/log.

I searched all over for a postmaster.log file and can not find one (I have
not been able to get to the step that I start the postmaster yet, so this
might explain not having the log, but I don't know if the "install" command
should have been logged..)  The only .log files I found were from the cygwin
install ....

I still get the following when I tried to start ipc-daemon2 and postmaster:

paul_sand@mverify3 /var/log
$ cygrunsrv -S ipc-daemon2
cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
The service has not been started.

paul_sand@mverify3 /var/log
$ cygrunsrv -Q ipc-daemon2
Service ipc-daemon2 exists
Type                : Own Process
Current State       : Stopped
Controls Accepted   :

paul_sand@mverify3 /var/log
$ cygrunsrv -Q postmaster
Service postmaster exists
Type                : Own Process
Current State       : Stopped
Controls Accepted   :

paul_sand@mverify3 /var/log
$ cygrunsrv -S postmaster
cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1068:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

It seems that if I can get ipc-daemon to run postmaster will probably work

paul_sand@mverify3 /var/log
$

Regards,

Paul

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:06:52AM -0600, Paul R. Sand wrote:
> Yes, this solves the problem. I am up and running with the basic
> installation.

Good.

> $ ls -l /usr/AMATE/
> total 0
> drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 10:27 data
                           ^^^^^^^^
> [snip]

BTW, the mkgroup- above implies that you need to run mkgroup.

> paul_sand@mverify3 ~
> $ cygrunsrv -S ipc-daemon2
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error
1062:
> The service has not been started.

What does /var/log/postmaster.log indicate?  Ditto for the NT
(Application) Event Log.

Does the following from the README apply?

    4. Cygwin PostgreSQL can fail to start or not function properly if
    certain files and directories have incorrect permissions.  The
    following usually solves these kinds of problems:

        $ chmod a+rwx /tmp
        $ chmod a+rx /usr/bin /usr/bin/*
        $ chmod a+rw /var/log # could adversely affect other daemons

Jason

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Paul,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 02:33:04PM -0600, Paul R. Sand wrote:
> I changed the group ownership of the files to "Administrators". Is
> this what you meant by run mkgroup? Or, do I need to do anything else?

Yes, I meant run mkgroup:

    $ mkgroup --help
    Usage: mkgroup [OPTION]... [domain]...
    Print /etc/group file to stdout
    [snip]

> I also set the modes of the files as suggested (I had tried this
> previously too) -- /tmp /usr/bin /usr/log.
                                    ^^^

/usr or /var?

> I searched all over for a postmaster.log file and can not find one (I
> have not been able to get to the step that I start the postmaster yet,
> so this might explain not having the log, but I don't know if the
> "install" command should have been logged..)  The only .log files I
> found were from the cygwin install ....

It should be in /var/log/postmaster.log.

> I still get the following when I tried to start ipc-daemon2 and
> postmaster:
>
> paul_sand@mverify3 /var/log
> $ cygrunsrv -S ipc-daemon2
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
> The service has not been started.

Is the Cygwin bin directory (e.g., C:\cygwin\bin) in your system path?

Jason

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Paul,

Please keep you replies on-list.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 04:18:48PM -0600, Paul R. Sand wrote:
> Thanks again, please bear with me see my additions below

You are welcome, but see above...

Cygwin requires a properly constructed /etc/group (and /etc/passwd) file
to function properly.  See the following for the details:

    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#MKGROUP

> >> I still get the following when I tried to start ipc-daemon2 and
> >> postmaster:
> >>
> >> paul_sand@mverify3 /var/log
> >> $ cygrunsrv -S ipc-daemon2
> >> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32
> >> error 1062:
> >> The service has not been started.

Once again, are there any interesting events in the Event Log?

What version of Windows are you using?

Jason

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
"Paul R. Sand"
Date:
Jason,

Thanks again for your help.  I have gotten further, I configured the group
and password files. Now I do get a log file produces when I try to start
ipc-daemon2 as a service -- a transcript of my session follows:

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ cygrunsrv -S ipc-daemon2
cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
The service has not been started.

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ ls /var/log
apache  exim  ipc-daemon2.log  setup.log  setup.log.full  wtmp

paul_sand@mverify3 ~
$ cat /var/log/ipc-daemon2.log
(ipc-daemon2) Unable to open "Sem" file: Permission denied
(ipc-daemon2) Unable to start IPC-daemon !

Also, I am running Windows XP Professional as my OS.

Regards,

Paul

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 04:18:48PM -0600, Paul R. Sand wrote:
> Thanks again, please bear with me see my additions below

You are welcome, but see above...

Date:
Paul,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:51:22PM -0600, Paul R. Sand wrote:
> $ cat /var/log/ipc-daemon2.log
> (ipc-daemon2) Unable to open "Sem" file: Permission denied
> (ipc-daemon2) Unable to start IPC-daemon !

Does the following from the README help?

    2. It is recommended to delete all cygipc temporary files
    (/tmp/cygipc* and /tmp/MultiFile*) before starting postmaster under
    a different user account.  Otherwise, postmaster will fail to start
    due to IPC errors.  Note cygipc 2.x automatically removes these
    files during normal shutdown so this issue has been essentially
    obviated.

If not, what does the following indicate?

    $ ls -ld /tmp /tmp/cygipc* /tmp/MultiFile*
    drwxrwxrwx+ 294 Administ Domain U   438272 Nov  3 14:06 /tmp
    -rw-rw-rw-    1 system   Administ  3916720 Nov  3 07:01 /tmp/MultiFileMsg2
    -rw-rw-rw-    1 system   Administ    23568 Nov  3 07:01 /tmp/MultiFileSem2
    -rw-rw-rw-    1 system   Administ   204304 Nov  3 07:01 /tmp/MultiFileShm2
    -rw-------    1 postgres None      1499136 Nov  3 07:02 /tmp/cygipc2_0

Jason

Re: Problem with initdb failing

From
"Paul R. Sand"
Date:
Jason,

I should have read further before posting my previous question.  I did find
the permissions problem and have been able to start ipc-daemon2 as a
service. I am now working on starting up postmaster... I will ask for help
if I run into more trouble.