Re: Problem with initdb failing - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: Problem with initdb failing
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Paul,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:06:52AM -0600, Paul R. Sand wrote:
> Yes, this solves the problem. I am up and running with the basic
> installation.

Good.

> $ ls -l /usr/AMATE/
> total 0
> drwx------+   6 paul_san mkgroup-        0 Oct 31 10:27 data
                           ^^^^^^^^
> [snip]

BTW, the mkgroup- above implies that you need to run mkgroup.

> paul_sand@mverify3 ~
> $ cygrunsrv -S ipc-daemon2
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
> The service has not been started.

What does /var/log/postmaster.log indicate?  Ditto for the NT
(Application) Event Log.

Does the following from the README apply?

    4. Cygwin PostgreSQL can fail to start or not function properly if
    certain files and directories have incorrect permissions.  The
    following usually solves these kinds of problems:

        $ chmod a+rwx /tmp
        $ chmod a+rx /usr/bin /usr/bin/*
        $ chmod a+rw /var/log # could adversely affect other daemons

Jason