Bug reference:      7851
Logged by:          ivano luberti
Email address:      luberti@archicoop.it
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.15
Operating system:   Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits

I know this is probalby a duplicate of bug BUG #7526 but I don't know how to
update it with new information so I submit a new one.
The same error message raised with 8.3.22 and 9.2.2.
But I was then able to install 8.3.22 using the pginstaller found at

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.22/win32/

Ok this the new piece of information. Unfortunately pginstaller is available
only for 8.3.x. So I'm stuck since I need 8.4.x

The bitlog file provides the usual information:

Log started 02/05/2013 at 11:13:15
Preferred installation mode : qt
Trying to init installer in mode qt
Mode qt successfully initialized
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-8.4 Data
Directory. Setting variable iDataDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-8.4 Base
Directory. Setting variable iBaseDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-8.4 Service
ID. Setting variable iServiceName to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-8.4 Service
Account. Setting variable iServiceAccount to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-8.4 Super
User. Setting variable iSuperuser to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-8.4
Branding. Setting variable iBranding to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-8.4 Version.
Setting variable brandingVer to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-8.4
Shortcuts. Setting variable iShortcut to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-8.4
DisableStackBuilder. Setting variable iDisableStackBuilder to empty value
[11:13:19] Existing base directory: =

[11:13:19] Existing data directory: =

[11:13:19] Using branding: PostgreSQL 8.4
[11:13:19] Using Super User: postgres and Service Account: postgres
[11:13:19] Using Service Name: postgresql-8.4
Executing cscript //NoLogo
"C:\Users\luberti\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer\installruntimes.v=
bs"
"C:\Users\luberti\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer\vcredist_x86.exe"
Script exit code: 1

Script output:
 Errore CScript: Impossibile trovare l'interprete di script "VBScript" per
lo script
"C:\Users\luberti\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer\installruntimes.v=
bs".

Script stderr:
 Program ended with an error exit code

An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer.

I have already tried registering the vbscript.dll and checked the rights
(every user can read and execute it)

The TEMP and TMP variable are configured with default values:

C:\Users\luberti\AppData\Local\Temp

the users is the pc admninistratot

I have avira installed

I have tried with both windows firewall enabled and disabled

Don't knw what else to do.
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM,  <luberti@archicoop.it> wrote:

> Bug reference:      7851
> Logged by:          ivano luberti
> Email address:      luberti@archicoop.it
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.15
> Operating system:   Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits
>
> I know this is probalby a duplicate of bug BUG #7526 but I don't know how to
> update it with new information so I submit a new one.
> The same error message raised with 8.3.22 and 9.2.2.
> But I was then able to install 8.3.22 using the pginstaller found at
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.22/win32/
>

> Ok this the new piece of information. Unfortunately pginstaller is available
> only for 8.3.x. So I'm stuck since I need 8.4.x

If this is a new installation, you should really use 9.2. 8.4 will go
out of support in about a year.

> Executing cscript //NoLogo
> "C:\Users\luberti\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer\installruntimes.vbs"
> "C:\Users\luberti\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer\vcredist_x86.exe"
> Script exit code: 1
>
> Script output:
>  Errore CScript: Impossibile trovare l'interprete di script "VBScript" per
> lo script
> "C:\Users\luberti\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer\installruntimes.vbs".
>
> Script stderr:
>  Program ended with an error exit code
>
> An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer.

You're suffering from the problem described here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows#The_installer_exits_with_a_runtime_installation_error.3F.
The error comes usually because either the script interpretor isn't
registered or the TEMP dir is unwriteable (both of which you said
you've checked), or sometimes because the .vbs file extension is
registered incorrectly. You can check how the filetype is registered
like this:

C:\>assoc .vbs
.vbs=VBSFile

C:\>ftype VBSFile
VBSFile=%SystemRoot%\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*

(it should look like that)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Thanks Dave for your quick answer

Il 05/02/2013 16:19, Dave Page ha scritto:
> If this is a new installation, you should really use 9.2. 8.4 will go
> out of support in about a year.

It is a new installation on my machine, but I use for development and I
have to support customers that will still use 8.4 for a while.
> You're suffering from the problem described here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows#The_installer_exits_with_a_runtime_installation_error.3F.

yes I read that
> The error comes usually because either the script interpretor isn't
> registered or the TEMP dir is unwriteable (both of which you said
> you've checked), or sometimes because the .vbs file extension is
> registered incorrectly. You can check how the filetype is registered
> like this:
>
> C:\>assoc .vbs
> .vbs=VBSFile
>
> C:\>ftype VBSFile
> VBSFile=%SystemRoot%\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*
>
> (it should look like that)

It look exactly like that and I run the installer as an administrator.
I don't want to mix two different issues here but I also tried to
install 9.2.2-1 and I get a
"Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path"
error message
And in the TEMP dir I find a bitrock_installer file with the following
content

Log started 02/05/2013 at 21:37:45
Preferred installation mode : qt
Trying to init installer in mode qt
Mode qt successfully initialized
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.2
Data Directory. Setting variable iDataDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.2
Base Directory. Setting variable iBaseDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.2
Service ID. Setting variable iServiceName to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.2
Service Account. Setting variable iServiceAccount to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.2
Super User. Setting variable iSuperuser to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.2
Branding. Setting variable iBranding to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.2
Version. Setting variable brandingVer to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.2
Shortcuts. Setting variable iShortcut to empty value
Could not find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.2
DisableStackBuilder. Setting variable iDisableStackBuilder to empty value
[21:37:51] Existing base directory:
[21:37:51] Existing data directory:
[21:37:51] Using branding: PostgreSQL 9.2
[21:37:51] Using Super User: postgres and Service Account: NT
AUTHORITY\NetworkService
[21:37:51] Using Service Name: postgresql-x64-9.2

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Ivano Luberti <luberti@archicoop.it> wrote:

> It look exactly like that and I run the installer as an administrator.
> I don't want to mix two different issues here but I also tried to install
> 9.2.2-1 and I get a
> "Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path"
> error message
> And in the TEMP dir I find a bitrock_installer file with the following
> content

Actually, that almost certainly is the same problem - it's just that
the 9.2 installer has been modified to try to identify the issue much
earlier and more reliably.

It's essentially running the attached script under cscript. If you
save it to disk (and rename to prerun_checks.vbs) and then try running
it, you should see something like this:

C:\>cscript //nologo z:\dpage\prerun_checks.vbs
The scripting host appears to be functional.

Please try running it in a regular command prompt, and one opened
using the "Run As Administrator" option.

If you see something different from the message above it may help to
remove the "On Error Resume Next" lines from the script and run it
again. That should give additional error detail that the installer
wouldn't be able to interpret easily.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment
Thanks Dave, I have followe your instructions and the result is really
weird.
The script doesn't run and error message is that VBScript interpreter
cannot be found.
At the same time .vbs files are recognized as associated with WScript.exe

In detail:

I copied your file on  my desktop.
I renamed it with the .vbs extension.
Then I opened the cmd prompt both normally and as an administrator.
Here you can find the output (in italian but I think i understandable):

Normal running:
-----------------------

Microsoft Windows [Versione 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Tutti i diritti riservati.

C:\Users\luberti>cd desktop

C:\Users\luberti\Desktop>assoc .vbs
.vbs=VBSFile

C:\Users\luberti\Desktop>ftype VBSFile
VBSFile="%SystemRoot%\System32\WScript.exe" "%1" %*

C:\Users\luberti\Desktop>cscript //nologo prerun_checks.vbs
Errore CScript: Impossibile trovare l'interprete di script "VBScript"
per lo scr
ipt "C:\Users\luberti\Desktop\prerun_checks.vbs".

Running as an administrator:

Microsoft Windows [Versione 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Tutti i diritti riservati.

C:\Windows\system32>cd ..

C:\Windows>cd ..

C:\>cd Users\luberti\Desktop

C:\Users\luberti\Desktop>assoc .vbs
.vbs=VBSFile

C:\Users\luberti\Desktop>ftype VBSFile
VBSFile="%SystemRoot%\System32\WScript.exe" "%1" %*

C:\Users\luberti\Desktop>cscript //nologo prerun_checks.vbs
Errore CScript: Impossibile trovare l'interprete di script "VBScript"
per lo scr
ipt "C:\Users\luberti\Desktop\prerun_checks.vbs".

C:\Users\luberti\Desktop>

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Ivano Luberti <luberti@archicoop.it> wrote:
> Thanks Dave, I have followe your instructions and the result is really
> weird.
> The script doesn't run and error message is that VBScript interpreter cannot
> be found.
> At the same time .vbs files are recognized as associated with WScript.exe

OK, so there definitely is something messed up with your script
interpreter. I believe you said you already tried re-registering
vbscript.dll, so something else seems to be preventing things from
working. I wonder if these would help in tracking down and fixing the
issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/196011-cscript-error-cant-find-script-engine-vbscript-alternate-solution.html

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/genuinevista/thread/1b7332ba-d1f7-455f-b523-1dc45bc2b939

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Yes the problem is exaclty that: I had MCAfee installed when the laptop
was shipped.
I promptly uninstalled it but it seems there are still traces of it.
Unfortunately the fix doesn't work because it seems the registry key is
protected even form administrator user modifications.
I'm searching a workaround to update the registry.
Thanks for now: you are doing a great job, Dave.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Ivano Luberti <luberti@archicoop.it> wrote:
> Yes the problem is exaclty that: I had MCAfee installed when the laptop was
> shipped.
> I promptly uninstalled it but it seems there are still traces of it.

Oh, urgh.

> Unfortunately the fix doesn't work because it seems the registry key is
> protected even form administrator user modifications.

Even if you run regedit from a command prompt started as Administrator?

> I'm searching a workaround to update the registry.
> Thanks for now: you are doing a great job, Dave.

You're welcome - glad to be of help.

--

Il 06/02/2013 18:10, Dave Page ha scritto:
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Ivano Luberti <luberti@archicoop.it> wrote:
>> Yes the problem is exaclty that: I had MCAfee installed when the laptop was
>> shipped.
>> I promptly uninstalled it but it seems there are still traces of it.
> Oh, urgh.

correct analysis :-)

>> Unfortunately the fix doesn't work because it seems the registry key is
>> protected even form administrator user modifications.
> Even if you run regedit from a command prompt started as Administrator?

yes :-(

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it
Found the solution for modifyng the registry key here

http://www.mydigitallife.info/grant-read-write-full-control-permissions-on-registry-keys-fix-cannot-import-and-access-denied-error-in-regedit/

Il 06/02/2013 18:17, Ivano Luberti ha scritto:

> Il 06/02/2013 18:10, Dave Page ha scritto:
>> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Ivano Luberti <luberti@archicoop.it>
>> wrote:
>>> Yes the problem is exaclty that: I had MCAfee installed when the
>>> laptop was
>>> shipped.
>>> I promptly uninstalled it but it seems there are still traces of it.
>> Oh, urgh.
>
> correct analysis :-)
>

>>> Unfortunately the fix doesn't work because it seems the registry key is
>>> protected even form administrator user modifications.
>> Even if you run regedit from a command prompt started as Administrator?
>
> yes :-(

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Ivano Luberti <luberti@archicoop.it> wrote:
> Found the solution for modifyng the registry key here

http://www.mydigitallife.info/grant-read-write-full-control-permissions-on-registry-keys-fix-cannot-import-and-access-denied-error-in-regedit/

Oh, OK - so you didn't have permissions to edit that section of the
registry, but you can modify the ACL? Cool.

So, does cscript (and thus hopefully the installer) work now?

--

Ivano Luberti wrote on 06.02.2013 18:17:
>>> Unfortunately the fix doesn't work because it seems the registry key is
>>> protected even form administrator user modifications.
>> Even if you run regedit from a command prompt started as Administrator?
>
> yes :-(

Probably the security settings for the corresponding registry key were changed.
But as you have an Administrator access, you should be able to reset the security settings.

In order to do that you need to run regedt32.exe (not regedit.exe)

Once you have found the key in question, you can right click and then choose "Security".
You'll get more or less the same dialog that is used to control file-system security.

Then give the Administrator the priviliges to delete/change those keys and you should be fine.

(Not sure if this still works the same under Windows 7 though).

Regards
Thomas
With a little bit of more drama.

The good news is that the 9.2 installer has been able to successfully
complete installation.
The bad news is that 8.4.15 installer keep failing and with the same
message error.
I searched the registry again with regedit and found another occurence
of the same registry key under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432node\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

still linked to McAfee.
I had to change ownership also in this case to modify its value
But now 8.4.15 can run like an horse at Kentucky Derby!!!!

I believe that the last issue was due to the fact that 9.2 installer is
a 64bit software while 8.4.15 is a 32bit application.

Dave, thanks again for your help.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Ivano Luberti <luberti@archicoop.it> wrote:
> With a little bit of more drama.
>
> The good news is that the 9.2 installer has been able to successfully
> complete installation.
> The bad news is that 8.4.15 installer keep failing and with the same message
> error.
> I searched the registry again with regedit and found another occurence of
> the same registry key under
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432node\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32
>
> still linked to McAfee.
> I had to change ownership also in this case to modify its value
> But now 8.4.15 can run like an horse at Kentucky Derby!!!!
>
> I believe that the last issue was due to the fact that 9.2 installer is a
> 64bit software while 8.4.15 is a 32bit application.

Excellent news! So the moral of the story is: Avoid using any computer
that has had McAfee software anywhere near it.

> Dave, thanks again for your help.

You're welcome.

--

Il 06/02/2013 21:52, Dave Page ha scritto:
> Excellent news! So the moral of the story is: Avoid using any computer
> that has had McAfee software anywhere near it.

you bet! a typical case of a medicine that is worse than the illness it
should cure.
A particularly well fit metaphor since we are talking of an antivirus

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959