SOLVED: BUG #7851: Installer crash with message: An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtimeinstaller - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Ivano Luberti
Subject SOLVED: BUG #7851: Installer crash with message: An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtimeinstaller
Date
List pgsql-bugs
With a little bit of more drama.

The good news is that the 9.2 installer has been able to successfully
complete installation.
The bad news is that 8.4.15 installer keep failing and with the same
message error.
I searched the registry again with regedit and found another occurence
of the same registry key under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432node\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

still linked to McAfee.
I had to change ownership also in this case to modify its value
But now 8.4.15 can run like an horse at Kentucky Derby!!!!

I believe that the last issue was due to the fact that 9.2 installer is
a 64bit software while 8.4.15 is a 32bit application.

Dave, thanks again for your help.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/grant-read-write-full-control-permissions-on-registry-keys-fix-cannot-import-and-access-denied-error-in-regedit/
> Oh, OK - so you didn't have permissions to edit that section of the
> registry, but you can modify the ACL? Cool.
>
> So, does cscript (and thus hopefully the installer) work now?
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake