First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

.... is in Press CVS:
http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000047

or in Docs for those of you who don't have CVS access to the Press project:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/first_draft.txt

Your contributions to making it a good release are very appreciated.
Please read the notes at the top of the draft *before* commenting.

Particularly, I'm looking for help on the best quotes for the release.
Bruce, you willing to own something like the quote I attribute to you?  If
so, how would you re-write it?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Generic Inverted Indexes should be
Generalized

Oleg
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> .... is in Press CVS:
> http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000047
>
> or in Docs for those of you who don't have CVS access to the Press project:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/first_draft.txt
>
> Your contributions to making it a good release are very appreciated.
> Please read the notes at the top of the draft *before* commenting.
>
> Particularly, I'm looking for help on the best quotes for the release.
> Bruce, you willing to own something like the quote I attribute to you?  If
> so, how would you re-write it?

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Josh Berkus schrieb:
> Folks,
>
> .... is in Press CVS:
> http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000047
>
> or in Docs for those of you who don't have CVS access to the Press project:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/first_draft.txt
>
> Your contributions to making it a good release are very appreciated.
> Please read the notes at the top of the draft *before* commenting.
>
> Particularly, I'm looking for help on the best quotes for the release.
> Bruce, you willing to own something like the quote I attribute to you?  If
> so, how would you re-write it?

"PostgreSQL is also the first database to offer and early implementation
this radically new join algorithm valuable for data mining and
consolidation."

this sentence is bumpy .. "and" => "an" "this" => "of this"

not sure if its common to address readers with "you" in press releases.

regards,
Lukas

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Particularly, I'm looking for help on the best quotes for the release.
> Bruce, you willing to own something like the quote I attribute to you?  If
> so, how would you re-write it?

All due respect to all companies mentioned in those quotes but with the
exception of Sun and APC (although I fail to see the correlation) they
are not who we need to get quotes from.

Can't we get a quote from Apple, RedHat, Fujitsu, Unisys? (and no we
can't get one from Linksys/cisco I already asked).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
You likely want to keep this release terse, but as far as this new
feature, you may wish to consider snipping a bit from the example at

http://code.google.com/soc/pgsql/appinfo.html?csaid=34B13296DE039A78

"PostgreSQL is privileged to lead .... blablabla  An example of its
power.... blabbla".

Pretty big feature and a small sample could drive home that importance
to those who suspect an algorithm to be a new dance step.

Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> Josh Berkus schrieb:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> .... is in Press CVS:
>> http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000047
>>
>> or in Docs for those of you who don't have CVS access to the Press
>> project:
>> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/first_draft.txt
>>
>> Your contributions to making it a good release are very appreciated.
>> Please read the notes at the top of the draft *before* commenting.
>>
>> Particularly, I'm looking for help on the best quotes for the
>> release.  Bruce, you willing to own something like the quote I
>> attribute to you?  If so, how would you re-write it?
>

> "PostgreSQL is also the first database to offer and early
> implementation this radically new join algorithm valuable for data
> mining and consolidation."
>
> this sentence is bumpy .. "and" => "an" "this" => "of this"
>
> not sure if its common to address readers with "you" in press releases.
>
> regards,
> Lukas

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> .... is in Press CVS:
> http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000047
>
> or in Docs for those of you who don't have CVS access to the Press
> project:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/first_draft.txt
>
> Your contributions to making it a good release are very
> appreciated.
> Please read the notes at the top of the draft *before* commenting.

PITR was introduced in 8.0, not 8.1...

//Magnus

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Chris Browne
Date:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> Folks,
>
> .... is in Press CVS:
> http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000047
>
> or in Docs for those of you who don't have CVS access to the Press project:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/first_draft.txt
>
> Your contributions to making it a good release are very appreciated.
> Please read the notes at the top of the draft *before* commenting.

I imagine it worth mentioning the improvements to pg_dump...

Selective pg_dump: allows drawing transactionally-consistent dumps of
sets of relations, selecting their inclusion/exclusion using regular
expressions.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/multiplexor.html

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

Date:
Chris Browne wrote:
> josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> > Folks,
> >
> > .... is in Press CVS:
> > http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000047
> >
> > or in Docs for those of you who don't have CVS access to the Press project:
> > http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/first_draft.txt
> >
> > Your contributions to making it a good release are very appreciated.
> > Please read the notes at the top of the draft *before* commenting.
>
> I imagine it worth mentioning the improvements to pg_dump...
>
> Selective pg_dump: allows drawing transactionally-consistent dumps of
> sets of relations, selecting their inclusion/exclusion using regular
> expressions.

I realize it is just a draft, but here is my feedback:

Yea, we said increased usability, but didn't list the items.  Will need
to wait for the list around beta start.

Also, the text file should be <80 columns so it can be read easily in
the browser.

Also, you mentioned Full Disjunctions, which doesn't look like it will
be in 8.2, and because it is so unusual, you would have to explain why
it is so great, and given the lack of community people saying it is
great, I am unsure if it even should be mentioned if it is on pgfoundry.

Also, we don't have some items in CVS like bitmapped indexes, so those
might need to be removed as the feature list solidifies.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Also, you mentioned Full Disjunctions, which doesn't look like it will
> be in 8.2, and because it is so unusual, you would have to explain why
> it is so great, and given the lack of community people saying it is
> great, I am unsure if it even should be mentioned if it is on pgfoundry.

This one I do not agree with. We don't have to explain it beyond a
single sentence, people can do their own research on if they need it.
This is PR :). Full Disjunctions falls directly into the Most Advanced
Open Source Database arena (and considering Ingres is open source we
have to fight for this).

Frankly there are several projects on pgFoundry that need some advocacy
on this release including:

Full Disjunctions
.Npgsql (if it hits 1.0)
Orafce

Possibly some reiteration around:

pljava
pgpool

These are all items that greatly enhance the usability and functionality
argument.

> Also, we don't have some items in CVS like bitmapped indexes, so those
> might need to be removed as the feature list solidifies.

I thought bitmapped indexes had been reviewed? eek...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Also, you mentioned Full Disjunctions, which doesn't look like it will
> > be in 8.2, and because it is so unusual, you would have to explain why
> > it is so great, and given the lack of community people saying it is
> > great, I am unsure if it even should be mentioned if it is on pgfoundry.
>
> This one I do not agree with. We don't have to explain it beyond a
> single sentence, people can do their own research on if they need it.
> This is PR :). Full Disjunctions falls directly into the Most Advanced
> Open Source Database arena (and considering Ingres is open source we
> have to fight for this).
>
> Frankly there are several projects on pgFoundry that need some advocacy
> on this release including:
>
> Full Disjunctions
> .Npgsql (if it hits 1.0)
> Orafce
>
> Possibly some reiteration around:
>
> pljava
> pgpool

Agreed, but we better mention it is on pgfoundry rather than in the main
code.

> These are all items that greatly enhance the usability and functionality
> argument.
>

> > Also, we don't have some items in CVS like bitmapped indexes, so those
> > might need to be removed as the feature list solidifies.
> >

> I thought bitmapped indexes had been reviewed? eek...

We don't even have a final patch for it.  Because we are dealing with
other patches we aren't pushing on the submitter at this time.

--

Date:
>> Frankly there are several projects on pgFoundry that need some advocacy
>> on this release including:
>>
>> Full Disjunctions
>> .Npgsql (if it hits 1.0)
>> Orafce
>>
>> Possibly some reiteration around:
>>
>> pljava
>> pgpool
>
> Agreed, but we better mention it is on pgfoundry rather than in the main
> code.

Hmmm... agreed.. something like:

With the continued success of our community project site
www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following sub projects available for
8.2...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 12:26:25PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>Frankly there are several projects on pgFoundry that need some advocacy
> >>on this release including:
> >>
> >>Full Disjunctions
> >>.Npgsql (if it hits 1.0)
> >>Orafce
> >>
> >>Possibly some reiteration around:
> >>
> >>pljava
> >>pgpool
> >
> >Agreed, but we better mention it is on pgfoundry rather than in the main
> >code.
>
> Hmmm... agreed.. something like:
>
> With the continued success of our community project site
> www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following sub projects available for
> 8.2...

I hate to toot my own horn here, but I'm making DBI-Link 2.0 use 8.2
features like spi_prepare().  If there's enough demand, I might
backport it to 8.1.

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> With the continued success of our community project site
>> www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following sub projects available for
>> 8.2...
>
> I hate to toot my own horn here, but I'm making DBI-Link 2.0 use 8.2
> features like spi_prepare().  If there's enough demand, I might
> backport it to 8.1.

My list was by no means inclusive I would be happy to include DBI-Link
if you get it done by 8.2 :) It is a great piece of software.

Joshua D. Drkae

> Cheers,

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> Also, we don't have some items in CVS like bitmapped indexes, so those
> might need to be removed as the feature list solidifies.

... per the notes at the top of the file:
"-- Feature list and descriptions will change when we have final features from
beta."

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Quote Sources: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Can't we get a quote from Apple, RedHat,

Nope.

> Fujitsu,

Already used them for 8.0.  And since their support for PostgreSQL since has
been kind of underwhelming, I'm not eager to call attention to it by quoting
them again.  Sun is a better one that Fujitsu for that reason.

> Unisys?

Hmmm.  That's a possibility, I'll ask Doug.

Any other suggestions?

The basic theory about the quotes is that one should be from a bigwig at a big
company saying "PostgreSQL is great" and the second should be from a
professional user extoling the new features.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
On 31/8/2006 2:55, "Lukas Kahwe Smith" <smith@pooteeweet.org> wrote:

> Josh Berkus schrieb:
>> Folks,
>>
>> .... is in Press CVS:
>> http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000047
>>
>> or in Docs for those of you who don't have CVS access to the Press project:
>> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/first_draft.txt
>>
>> Your contributions to making it a good release are very appreciated.
>> Please read the notes at the top of the draft *before* commenting.
>>
>> Particularly, I'm looking for help on the best quotes for the release.
>> Bruce, you willing to own something like the quote I attribute to you?  If
>> so, how would you re-write it?
>
> "PostgreSQL is also the first database to offer and early implementation
> this radically new join algorithm valuable for data mining and
> consolidation."
>
> this sentence is bumpy .. "and" => "an" "this" => "of this"

This would sound right to me -

"Full Disjunctions: Thanks to Google's Summer of Code, PostgreSQL is also
the first database to offer an early implementation of this radically new
join algorithm valuable for data mining and consolidation."

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
On 31/8/2006 4:56, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>>> Frankly there are several projects on pgFoundry that need some advocacy
>>> on this release including:
>>>
>>> Full Disjunctions
>>> .Npgsql (if it hits 1.0)
>>> Orafce
>>>
>>> Possibly some reiteration around:
>>>
>>> pljava
>>> pgpool
>>
>> Agreed, but we better mention it is on pgfoundry rather than in the main
>> code.
>
> Hmmm... agreed.. something like:
>
> With the continued success of our community project site
> www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following sub projects available for
> 8.2...

I'd expand that to -

With the continued success of our community project site www.pgfoundry.org
we also have the following projects developing additional add-on features to
offer expanded functionality to what is included in the main PostgreSQL
release. These features may be too cutting edge to be considered part of the
main project or may just cater to a small market.

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:55:59AM +0930, Shane Ambler wrote:

> >> Agreed, but we better mention it is on pgfoundry rather than in the main
> >> code.
> >
> > Hmmm... agreed.. something like:
> >
> > With the continued success of our community project site
> > www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following sub projects available for
> > 8.2...
> >

> I'd expand that to -
>
> With the continued success of our community project site
> www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following projects developing
> additional add-on features to offer expanded functionality to what
> is included in the main PostgreSQL release.  These features may be
> too cutting edge to be considered part of the main project or may
> just cater to a small market.

Nice expansion :)

I'd cut that last sentence, as it emphasizes a gap between the core
and pgfoundry that it's our long-term goal to close.

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Shane Ambler wrote:
> I'd expand that to -
>
> With the continued success of our community project site
> www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following projects developing
> additional add-on features to offer expanded functionality to what is
> included in the main PostgreSQL release. These features may be too
> cutting edge to be considered part of the main project or may just
> cater to a small market.

This creates exactly the wrong impression that pgfoundry is for things
of lower quality.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> I'd expand that to -
>>
>> With the continued success of our community project site
>> www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following projects developing
>> additional add-on features to offer expanded functionality to what
>> is included in the main PostgreSQL release.  These features may be
>> too cutting edge to be considered part of the main project or may
>> just cater to a small market.
>
> Nice expansion :)
>
> I'd cut that last sentence, as it emphasizes a gap between the core
> and pgfoundry that it's our long-term goal to close.

The only part I don't like is:

These features may be
 >> too cutting edge to be considered part of the main project or may
 >> just cater to a small market.

It isn't required, nor is it actually acurate in a lot of circumstances.

How about:

With the continued success of our community project site
www.pgfoundry.org we also have many [sub|side|associate|parallel]
projects developing additional features to offer expanded functionality
to what is included in the main PostgreSQL release.

Remember we are limited in our PR length :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Cheers,

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
On 1/9/2006 1:45, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> Shane Ambler wrote:
>> I'd expand that to -
>>
>> With the continued success of our community project site
>> www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following projects developing
>> additional add-on features to offer expanded functionality to what is
>> included in the main PostgreSQL release. These features may be too
>> cutting edge to be considered part of the main project or may just
>> cater to a small market.
>
> This creates exactly the wrong impression that pgfoundry is for things
> of lower quality.

There is a difference between low quality and early development stage.

As suggested the last sentence is probably not necessary. Unless we can
think of a better way to describe what is there, early development/limited
testing, small target audience.

Maybe just - These features are developed by groups outside of the main
development team.

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Chris Browne
Date:
peter_e@gmx.net (Peter Eisentraut) writes:
> Shane Ambler wrote:
>> I'd expand that to -
>>
>> With the continued success of our community project site
>> www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following projects developing
>> additional add-on features to offer expanded functionality to what is
>> included in the main PostgreSQL release. These features may be too
>> cutting edge to be considered part of the main project or may just
>> cater to a small market.
>
> This creates exactly the wrong impression that pgfoundry is for things
> of lower quality.

Right.  Perhaps more like...

"These projects include some that require different release cycles
than that of the main database engine, as well as projects catering to
specific smaller markets."
--
"cbbrowne","@","ntlug.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sap.html

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>>> cater to a small market.
>> This creates exactly the wrong impression that pgfoundry is for things
>> of lower quality.
>
> There is a difference between low quality and early development stage.

Except that many projects on pgfoundry are not early development they
are very mature. They just are not in core for one reason or another.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Chris Browne wrote:

>>> With the continued success of our community project site
>>> www.pgfoundry.org we also have the following projects developing
>>> additional add-on features to offer expanded functionality to what is
>>> included in the main PostgreSQL release. These features may be too
>>> cutting edge to be considered part of the main project or may just
>>> cater to a small market.
>
> Right.  Perhaps more like...
>
> "These projects include some that require different release cycles
> than that of the main database engine, as well as projects catering to
> specific smaller markets."

I think each of these statements * undersell the extensible architecture of postgresql that   enables these projects *
don'tcommunicate the wide range of capabilities   offered by pgfoundry projects * could have been clearer in saying
thatpgfoundry's the   officially preferred place for extensions (which is still   confusing with some internet links
stillpointing to gborg)

How about:
"PostgreSQL's extensible architecture has lead to a large community of extensions ranging from additional procedural
languages,interfaces to external systems, new index types, and replication and high availability tools that are hosted
onthe official PostgreSQL community project site www.pgfoundry.org.   Community projects that have made significant
advancesin the 8.2 release cycle include [pgpool|pljava|full_disjunction - whatever the list was]."

I think the tone of this sentence suggests that pgfoundry is separate
from core because there is such a large/wide range of extensions -
rather than that they're unstable "too cutting edge" or of little
interest "catering to specific markets".   While each are true,
I think the large scope of extensions is a bigger reason, as well
as sounding more like a positive than a negative.

   Ron

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 8/31/06, Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
>  "PostgreSQL's extensible architecture has lead to a large community
>   of extensions ranging from additional procedural languages,
>   interfaces to external systems, new index types, and replication
>   and high availability tools that are hosted on the official
>   PostgreSQL community project site www.pgfoundry.org.   Community
>   projects that have made significant advances in the 8.2 release
>   cycle include [pgpool|pljava|full_disjunction - whatever the list was]."

I like it.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Ron, all,

> On 8/31/06, Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
> >  "PostgreSQL's extensible architecture has lead to a large community
> >   of extensions ranging from additional procedural languages,
> >   interfaces to external systems, new index types, and replication
> >   and high availability tools that are hosted on the official
> >   PostgreSQL community project site www.pgfoundry.org.   Community
> >   projects that have made significant advances in the 8.2 release
> >   cycle include [pgpool|pljava|full_disjunction - whatever the list
> > was]."

Thanks!   I don't think that can go in the main release, though, unless
we're really hurting for content.  But it can certainly go on the Press
Page.

BTW, I'd like to do a release for SoC also.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Ron, all,
>
>> On 8/31/06, Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
>>>  "PostgreSQL's extensible architecture has lead to a large community
>>>   of extensions ranging from additional procedural languages,
>>>   interfaces to external systems, new index types, and replication
>>>   and high availability tools that are hosted on the official
>>>   PostgreSQL community project site www.pgfoundry.org.   Community
>>>   projects that have made significant advances in the 8.2 release
>>>   cycle include [pgpool|pljava|full_disjunction - whatever the list
>>> was]."
>
> Thanks!   I don't think that can go in the main release, though, unless
> we're really hurting for content.  But it can certainly go on the Press
> Page.

We need to find a way to promote some of these projects in the 8.2
release. Although I think the above is a bit verbose, lets make sure we
  do include reference to pgfoundry.

SIncerelly,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Ron, all,

>> Thanks!   I don't think that can go in the main release, though,
>> unless we're really hurting for content.  But it can certainly go on
>> the Press Page.

Yeah it was too verbose.  Here's similar in about half the words;
and no doubt could be trimmed further.
"PostgreSQL's extensible architecture enabled extensions ranging from new procedural languages to replication and high
availabilitytools hosted on the official PostgreSQL project site www.pgfoundry.org."

> We need to find a way to promote some of these projects in the 8.2
> release. Although I think the above is a bit verbose, lets make sure we
>  do include reference to pgfoundry.

I think the thoughts that should come across in the press release
are (a) postgresql's extensibility is better than others, and
(b) pgfoundry's the right place to find such extensions.

Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Ron, all,

"PostgreSQL's extensible architecture enabled extensions ranging from
  new procedural languages to replication and high availability tools
  hosted on the official PostgreSQL project site www.pgfoundry.org."

"official PostgreSQL project site" is a nice way to promote pgfoundry. Maybe it could even get more standing by being attributed as "official PostgreSQL extensions site" ?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare