Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release
Date
Re: First Draft of 8.2 Release  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Chris Browne wrote:
> josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> > Folks,
> >
> > .... is in Press CVS:
> > http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000047
> >
> > or in Docs for those of you who don't have CVS access to the Press project:
> > http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/first_draft.txt
> >
> > Your contributions to making it a good release are very appreciated.
> > Please read the notes at the top of the draft *before* commenting.
>
> I imagine it worth mentioning the improvements to pg_dump...
>
> Selective pg_dump: allows drawing transactionally-consistent dumps of
> sets of relations, selecting their inclusion/exclusion using regular
> expressions.

I realize it is just a draft, but here is my feedback:

Yea, we said increased usability, but didn't list the items.  Will need
to wait for the list around beta start.

Also, the text file should be <80 columns so it can be read easily in
the browser.

Also, you mentioned Full Disjunctions, which doesn't look like it will
be in 8.2, and because it is so unusual, you would have to explain why
it is so great, and given the lack of community people saying it is
great, I am unsure if it even should be mentioned if it is on pgfoundry.

Also, we don't have some items in CVS like bitmapped indexes, so those
might need to be removed as the feature list solidifies.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us