What if?

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
What if I knew someone that would be willing to pull their checkbook out
once a quarter and make a contribution to PostgreSQL in the form of $$
(not code or a programmer).

Real simple.  No PayPal, no t-shirts.  Just $$, which could be used for
developer bonus/interns/tools ... or whatever.

Is there a way to do that or is this not possible (IRS, no checking
account, <insert reason>)?

Yes/no/maybe?

Re: What if?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> What if I knew someone that would be willing to pull their checkbook
> out once a quarter and make a contribution to PostgreSQL in the form
> of $$ (not code or a programmer).
>
> Real simple.  No PayPal, no t-shirts.  Just $$, which could be used
> for developer bonus/interns/tools ... or whatever.
>
> Is there a way to do that or is this not possible (IRS, no checking
> account, <insert reason>)?
>
> Yes/no/maybe?
Yes... you can via the SPI (software in the public interest) account.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: What if?

Date:
Or you can fund someone to complete TODO entries, even someone in your
home country.  You can also fund travel expenses for conferences we
attend.  And there is a 10th anniversary fund that needs help.

Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> What if I knew someone that would be willing to pull their checkbook out
> once a quarter and make a contribution to PostgreSQL in the form of $$
> (not code or a programmer).
>
> Real simple.  No PayPal, no t-shirts.  Just $$, which could be used for
> developer bonus/interns/tools ... or whatever.
>
> Is there a way to do that or is this not possible (IRS, no checking
> account, <insert reason>)?
>
> Yes/no/maybe?

  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us
  SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: What if?

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Actually I have U$S 300 to donate, but I can't remember why someone told me to stop that payment, and wait for something (that also I can't remember).

How do I trigger a payment via the SPI ?

Not too much money, but for the time, there was a need for the www search box, afaik, now ready as I'd read on other lists.

So, the money is there. Just ask for it or describe the SPI thing (too tired at the moment to google about)

Regards,
Guido

On 2/28/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> What if I knew someone that would be willing to pull their checkbook
> out once a quarter and make a contribution to PostgreSQL in the form
> of $$ (not code or a programmer).
>
> Real simple.  No PayPal, no t-shirts.  Just $$, which could be used
> for developer bonus/interns/tools ... or whatever.
>
> Is there a way to do that or is this not possible (IRS, no checking
> account, <insert reason>)?
>
> Yes/no/maybe?
Yes... you can via the SPI (software in the public interest) account.

Joshua D. Drake

>               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .
X  - NO Word docs in e-mail .

Re: What if?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Mike Ellsworth wrote:
>> What if I knew someone that would be willing to pull their checkbook out
>> once a quarter and make a contribution to PostgreSQL in the form of $$ (not
>> code or a programmer).
>>
>> Real simple.  No PayPal, no t-shirts.  Just $$, which could be used for
>> developer bonus/interns/tools ... or whatever.
>>
>> Is there a way to do that or is this not possible (IRS, no checking
>> account, <insert reason>)?
>>
>> Yes/no/maybe?
> Yes... you can via the SPI (software in the public interest) account.

Do we have that linked to from anywhere yet?  Is it "fully operational"?

----

Re: What if?

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com

> Actually I have U$S 300 to donate, but I can't
remember why someone
> told me
> to stop that payment, and wait for something (that
also I can't
> remember).
> How do I trigger a payment via the SPI ?
>
> Not too much money, but for the time, there was a
need for the www
> searchbox, afaik, now ready as I'd read on other
lists.

> So, the money is there. Just ask for it or
describe the SPI thing
> (too tired
> at the moment to google about)
>
> Regards,
> Guido

Guido,

I'll match your contribution if they will tell us
how.  :-)
All I need is a Pay to:
and a mailing address.

Re: What if?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mike,

> What if I knew someone that would be willing to pull their checkbook out
> once a quarter and make a contribution to PostgreSQL in the form of $$
> (not code or a programmer).
>
> Real simple.  No PayPal, no t-shirts.  Just $$, which could be used for
> developer bonus/interns/tools ... or whatever.
>
> Is there a way to do that or is this not possible (IRS, no checking
> account, <insert reason>)?
>
> Yes/no/maybe?

Yes.    You can make out a check to "Software in the Public Interest /
Attention: PostgreSQL Fund".   http://www.spi-inc.org/donations  Money
will be used for: infrastructure costs, promotion materials, legal fees
and/or developer sponsorships, and governance over these funds is
currently being organized (you're likely to become a member just by
virture of donating).  We are not able to accept designated gifts at this
time.

We'll have a Donor Page up RSN.

Note that this is for the US and Canada only.   Donors in France, Japan and
Australia have local PostgreSQL organizations; donors elsewhere need to
set one up!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: What if?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 02:26:25PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Yes.    You can make out a check to "Software in the Public Interest /
> Attention: PostgreSQL Fund".   http://www.spi-inc.org/donations  Money
> will be used for: infrastructure costs, promotion materials, legal fees
> and/or developer sponsorships, and governance over these funds is
> currently being organized (you're likely to become a member just by
> virture of donating).  We are not able to accept designated gifts at this
> time.
>
> We'll have a Donor Page up RSN.
>
> Note that this is for the US and Canada only.   Donors in France, Japan and
> Australia have local PostgreSQL organizations; donors elsewhere need to
> set one up!

While SPI is great and all that, I hope that we continue to support
Paypal, since it's easier than writing a check and should allow people
from other countries to donate.

Re: What if?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>While SPI is great and all that, I hope that we continue to support
>Paypal, since it's easier than writing a check and should allow people
>from other countries to donate.

I don't think we actually support paypal now do we?

Joshua D. Drake

Re: What if?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:06:10PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >While SPI is great and all that, I hope that we continue to support
> >Paypal, since it's easier than writing a check and should allow people
> >from other countries to donate.
> >

> I don't think we actually support paypal now do we?

Hit 'donation' from http://postgresql.org.

Re: What if?

From
elein
Date:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 06:07:15PM -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:06:10PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >

> > >While SPI is great and all that, I hope that we continue to support
> > >Paypal, since it's easier than writing a check and should allow people
> > >from other countries to donate.
> > >

> > I don't think we actually support paypal now do we?
>
> Hit 'donation' from http://postgresql.org.

And where does this money go if not to SPI?

--elein
elein@varlena.com

> --
> Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
> Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
> vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: What if?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:10:33PM -0800, elein wrote:

> > > I don't think we actually support paypal now do we?
> >
> > Hit 'donation' from http://postgresql.org.
>
> And where does this money go if not to SPI?

What you see when you hit the paypal link...

Pay To:         PostgreSQL Infrastructure Fund
Payment For:        PostgreSQL Bandwidth & Infrastructure Fund

Re: What if?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:10:33PM -0800, elein wrote:

>>> Hit 'donation' from http://postgresql.org.
>>
>> And where does this money go if not to SPI?
>
> What you see when you hit the paypal link...
>
> Pay To:         PostgreSQL Infrastructure Fund
> Payment For:        PostgreSQL Bandwidth & Infrastructure Fund

Which has generated, on average, $50/mo and has gone exactly to what it
states ...

----

Re: What if?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:17:25PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Which has generated, on average, $50/mo and has gone exactly to what it
> states ...

BTW, I bet we'd get a LOT more $$ if people could donate towards the
development of specific TODO items. Of course the issue there is that
most folks capable of working on TODO items have more consulting
business than they know what to do with...

Re: What if?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jim,

> BTW, I bet we'd get a LOT more $$ if people could donate towards the
> development of specific TODO items. Of course the issue there is that
> most folks capable of working on TODO items have more consulting
> business than they know what to do with...

That's actually a potential legal issue.  Since the PostgreSQL Fund is part
of a 501(c)3, it's currently unclear if that kind of sponsored development
is legal.

currently unclear == I asked 3 attorneys and one IRS agent and got 5
different opinions.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: What if?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:31:20PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jim,
>
> > BTW, I bet we'd get a LOT more $$ if people could donate towards the
> > development of specific TODO items. Of course the issue there is that
> > most folks capable of working on TODO items have more consulting
> > business than they know what to do with...
>
> That's actually a potential legal issue.  Since the PostgreSQL Fund is part
> of a 501(c)3, it's currently unclear if that kind of sponsored development
> is legal.
>
> currently unclear == I asked 3 attorneys and one IRS agent and got 5
> different opinions.

Sure... I know how tricky 501(c)3 is, having seen some of the process
distributed.net went through to get it's status. But, there's plenty of
folks who probably don't care a wit about the deduction. Of course, this
does mean having two means of donating, but it could be well worth it.

Re: What if?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:17:25PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Which has generated, on average, $50/mo and has gone exactly to what it
>> states ...
>
> BTW, I bet we'd get a LOT more $$ if people could donate towards the
> development of specific TODO items. Of course the issue there is that
> most folks capable of working on TODO items have more consulting
> business than they know what to do with...

Which is why the 'donate' link will be replaced with one to SPI as soon as
Josh is ready ...

----

Re: What if?

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
1) Note that the title for "Donate" ( http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate ) page prays for:

"Help Pay Bandwidth Costs for the PostgreSQL Project"

..and doesn't seems to fit this discussion :)

2) The donate (should be www list) link is not present in the About menu on the left.

g.-

On 3/1/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:17:25PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Which has generated, on average, $50/mo and has gone exactly to what it
>> states ...
>
> BTW, I bet we'd get a LOT more $$ if people could donate towards the
> development of specific TODO items. Of course the issue there is that
> most folks capable of working on TODO items have more consulting
> business than they know what to do with...

Which is why the 'donate' link will be replaced with one to SPI as soon as
Josh is ready ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services ( http://www.hub.org)
Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

       match

--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .

Re: What if?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>>ation' from http://postgresql.org.
>>

>And where does this money go if not to SPI?

Well the page says it all. All monies donated via the website donate
link go directly to Hub.Org. As does
the advertising revenue.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>--elein
>elein@varlena.com
>

>>--
>>Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
>>Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
>>vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

>>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

>TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate

Re: What if?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jim

>Sure... I know how tricky 501(c)3 is, having seen some of the process
>distributed.net went through to get it's status. But, there's plenty of
>folks who probably don't care a wit about the deduction. Of course, this
>does mean having two means of donating, but it could be well worth it.

Believe me... folks care about the deduction :)

Joshua D. Drake

Re: What if?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Well the page says it all. All monies donated via the website donate
> link go directly to Hub.Org. As does
> the advertising revenue.

Currently, yes, although 50% of those funds (possibly after taxes) are going
to SPI:The PostgreSQL Fund as soon as we organize a committee and request
them from Marc.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: What if?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>

>> Well the page says it all. All monies donated via the website donate
>> link go directly to Hub.Org. As does
>> the advertising revenue.
>>

> Currently, yes, although 50% of those funds (possibly after taxes) are going
> to SPI:The PostgreSQL Fund as soon as we organize a committee and request
> them from Marc.

I wasn't commenting on how the money is distributed... I assumed everything
was preordained at some point in the past :)... I was just stating what
the website says.

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: What if?

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >>ation' from http://postgresql.org.
> >>

> >And where does this money go if not to SPI?
> >

> Well the page says it all. All monies donated via the website
> donate link go directly to Hub.Org. As does the advertising revenue.

Actually, looking at that site, I think we need to reprase it a bit. It
now says "As many of you know, PostgreSQL's web and mail hosting is
donated by Hub.org."

Which is not true - the absolute majority of the webhosting is handled
by other providers than hub.org.

OTOH, hub handles cvs hosting, and perhaps some more as well?

Perhaps we should create a separate page listing what companies provide
infrastructure hosting (since other servers are sponsored by ephg,
pervasive, cmdprompt and maybe some others) and at what level?

Also, that page refers to the postgresql foundation. Someone told me
that was not happening, but I can't recall if I heard something official
on it. Should the reference go away?

//Magnus

Re: [pgsql-www] What if?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Mittwoch, 1. März 2006 10:18 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> Perhaps we should create a separate page listing what companies provide
> infrastructure hosting (since other servers are sponsored by ephg,
> pervasive, cmdprompt and maybe some others) and at what level?

Something like http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi would be nice.  Doesn't have
to be quite that involved, but a list of machines, locations, and sponsoring
parties would both assign praise and accountability.

> Also, that page refers to the postgresql foundation. Someone told me
> that was not happening, but I can't recall if I heard something official
> on it. Should the reference go away?

Yes.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: What if?

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
Mike,
Is there a way to do that or is this not possible (IRS, no checking
account, <insert reason>)?

Yes/no/maybe?
Yes.    You can make out a check to "Software in the Public Interest /
Attention: PostgreSQL Fund".   http://www.spi-inc.org/donations  Money
will be used for: infrastructure costs, promotion materials, legal fees
and/or developer sponsorships, and governance over these funds is
currently being organized (you're likely to become a member just by
virture of donating).  We are not able to accept designated gifts at this
time.

We'll have a Donor Page up RSN.

Note that this is for the US and Canada only.   Donors in France, Japan and
Australia have local PostgreSQL organizations; donors elsewhere need to
set one up!
Probably need a tad of clarification on what is above.

If sending a check, it needs to be made out to :  "Software in the Public Interest"

In the Memo area of the paper check:  "Attention: PostgreSQL Fund"

They also have an option to donate via Credit Card (AMEX, VISA, MC or Discover).
If you go this route, you can specify how to direct the funds.  Note that they nick the amount by 3%.
They also have a Bank wire option within the site.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: What if?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Mittwoch, 1. März 2006 14:19 schrieb Mike Ellsworth:
> In the Memo area of the paper check:  "Attention: PostgreSQL Fund"

I'm not sure who came up with the entity "PostgreSQL Fund"; it doesn't exist
as such.  The instructions are to write the name of the project in the memo
area, so "PostgreSQL" would be it.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: What if?

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 1. März 2006 14:19 schrieb Mike Ellsworth:
In the Memo area of the paper check:  "Attention: PostgreSQL Fund"
I'm not sure who came up with the entity "PostgreSQL Fund"; it doesn't exist
as such.  The instructions are to write the name of the project in the memo
area, so "PostgreSQL" would be it.

Oh well, too late for my transaction and I'm unsure how long it takes for credit card transactions to be appropriately credited.  One more thing to attempt to track for the PG "money manager".

Crystal clear instructions on the site would be a good idea, to include a couple of instruction/Chris Doe gif's.  Visuals can help to make it a no-brainer.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: What if?

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:23:45 -0600,
  "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:17:25PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Which has generated, on average, $50/mo and has gone exactly to what it
> > states ...
>
> BTW, I bet we'd get a LOT more $$ if people could donate towards the
> development of specific TODO items. Of course the issue there is that
> most folks capable of working on TODO items have more consulting
> business than they know what to do with...

That might be better handled by a bounty page.

Re: What if?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 01 March 2006 13:14, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:23:45 -0600,
>
>   "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:17:25PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > Which has generated, on average, $50/mo and has gone exactly to what it
> > > states ...
> >
> > BTW, I bet we'd get a LOT more $$ if people could donate towards the
> > development of specific TODO items. Of course the issue there is that
> > most folks capable of working on TODO items have more consulting
> > business than they know what to do with...
>
> That might be better handled by a bounty page.

We could make a "pledges" section of the TODO list, however there still tends
to be issues around collection and dispersement. Check the archives/google
for more info regarding refractions.net and some recent gis improvements

--
Robert Treat

Re: What if?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:43:25PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 13:14, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:23:45 -0600,

> > > BTW, I bet we'd get a LOT more $$ if people could donate towards the
> > > development of specific TODO items. Of course the issue there is that
> > > most folks capable of working on TODO items have more consulting
> > > business than they know what to do with...
> >
> > That might be better handled by a bounty page.
> >

> We could make a "pledges" section of the TODO list, however there still tends
> to be issues around collection and dispersement. Check the archives/google
> for more info regarding refractions.net and some recent gis improvements

Yeah, this is absolutely more complex than simply accepting donations,
so it would require some more work. There are actually groups we could
go to that handle stuff like this, such as http://fundable.org/.

Re: What if?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:56:39PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:17:25PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >>Which has generated, on average, $50/mo and has gone exactly to what it
> >>states ...
> >
> >BTW, I bet we'd get a LOT more $$ if people could donate towards the
> >development of specific TODO items. Of course the issue there is that
> >most folks capable of working on TODO items have more consulting
> >business than they know what to do with...
>
> Which is why the 'donate' link will be replaced with one to SPI as soon as
> Josh is ready ...

Except that I think it would be a mistake to drop PayPal as an option.
It's so incredibly easy for anyone with a paypal account to donate that
it's easy to get 'drive-by donations'. Writing a check or even doing a
credit card payment as a lot more troublesome. Paypal also allows people
in a lot more countries to donate.