Party planning

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Next year, the PostgreSQL project will have its 10-year anniversary.  It
has been proposed to celebrate that occasion with some kind of
gathering of all the involved people.  After some initial informal
discussion, the following framework has been determined:

Proposed dates: July 7-9, 2006
Proposed location: Toronto
Proposed agenda: up to you

Assuming anyone would really be interested in attending that, the
followings things would need to be figured out next:

- Is the time and place OK for everyone?

- We would need someone local to help in the organization.

- What would you want to do there?  Note that this is not really
supposed to be a PostgreSQL conference, so some social components
should probably be included.

- Sponsorship for that event would probably be welcome.

Please let us know if you are willing to help out with any of these
points or have any interesting ideas regarding this.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Party planning

From
"Andy Astor"
Date:
EnterpriseDB will certainly sponsor a portion of this event. We'll even
host it if y'all want to come to New Jersey. But Toronto is also fine.

    -- Andy

Andy Astor, CEO
EnterpriseDB Corporation
777 New Durham Road
Edison, NJ 08817
Tel  732.331.1310
Cell 973.879.3763
www.enterprisedb.com

broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Party planning

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
>>Next year, the PostgreSQL project will have its 10-year anniversary.
>
> It
>
>>has been proposed to celebrate that occasion with some kind of
>>gathering of all the involved people.  After some initial informal
>>discussion, the following framework has been determined:
>>
>>Proposed dates: July 7-9, 2006
>>Proposed location: Toronto
>>Proposed agenda: up to you

It seems that Toronto might be a bit tough for some people...
Would it be possible to do it in the states?

Re: Party planning

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> It seems that Toronto might be a bit tough for some people...
> Would it be possible to do it in the states?

We'd probably need to see some more elaborate reasoning than that.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Party planning

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> - Is the time and place OK for everyone?

Fine with me.

> - We would need someone local to help in the organization.

I'm from Toronto (although I go to school a few hours away), so I'd be
happy to help with this.

-Neil

Re: Party planning

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> [...]

Actually, with all the 'border regulations' going on in the US, the US
would be good for US citizens, but make it alot more difficult for anyone
outside of the US itself :(

----

Re: Party planning

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Thursday 04 August 2005 21:14, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> [...]

I wouldn't mind hosting at PARI, one of the coolest sites around... :-)
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

Re: Party planning

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> It seems that Toronto might be a bit tough for some people...
> Would it be possible to do it in the states?

The flip side is that Europeans may find it particularly difficult to
find their way to the United States, but somewhat easier to get to
Canada.  That's a factor too...
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/rdbms.html

Re: Party planning

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 10:39:28PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> > It seems that Toronto might be a bit tough for some people...
> > Would it be possible to do it in the states?
>
> The flip side is that Europeans may find it particularly difficult to
> find their way to the United States, but somewhat easier to get to
> Canada.  That's a factor too...

Yes, _please_ do it anywhere outside the US.  It's really hard to get a
US visa for some people.  Canadians, it seems, are far more reasonable.

"Hay dos momentos en la vida de un hombre en los que no debería
especular: cuando puede permitírselo y cuando no puede" (Mark Twain)

Re: Party planning

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 05 August 2005 21:58, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 10:39:28PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> > > It seems that Toronto might be a bit tough for some people...
> > > Would it be possible to do it in the states?
> >
> > The flip side is that Europeans may find it particularly difficult to
> > find their way to the United States, but somewhat easier to get to
> > Canada.  That's a factor too...
>
> Yes, _please_ do it anywhere outside the US.  It's really hard to get a
> US visa for some people.  Canadians, it seems, are far more reasonable.

We could do it in Japan :-)

--
Robert Treat

Re: Party planning

From
Satoshi Nagayasu
Date:
2005/8/7, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>:
> We could do it in Japan :-)

Sounds great. :-)

--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi.nagayasu@gmail.com>

Re: Party planning

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 01:14:59PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Friday 05 August 2005 21:58, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > >
> > > The flip side is that Europeans may find it particularly difficult to
> > > find their way to the United States, but somewhat easier to get to
> > > Canada.  That's a factor too...
> >
> > Yes, _please_ do it anywhere outside the US.  It's really hard to get a
> > US visa for some people.  Canadians, it seems, are far more reasonable.
>
> We could do it in Japan :-)

Interestingly, Japan seems to have an even more friendly policy.  There
is a bunch of countries whose nationals are allowed short-time entry
without having to acquire a visa.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/feedback/index.html

"Acepta los honores y aplausos y perderás tu libertad"

Re: Party planning

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 01:14:59PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:

>>> Yes, _please_ do it anywhere outside the US.  It's really hard to get a
>>> US visa for some people.  Canadians, it seems, are far more reasonable.
>>
>> We could do it in Japan :-)
>
> Interestingly, Japan seems to have an even more friendly policy.  There
> is a bunch of countries whose nationals are allowed short-time entry
> without having to acquire a visa.
> http://www.mofa.go.jp/feedback/index.html

As much as I'd *love* to go to Japan, I fear the flight from Eastern
Canada to Japan is exhoborant :(

----

Re: Party planning

From
Satoshi Nagayasu
Date:
Hi,

If you want to have a party in Japan,
I think we (Japan PostgreSQL User Group, JPUG) can support attendees.

BTW, I am a Public Relations director of the JPUG. :)

Thanks.
--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <snaga@PostgreSQL.JP>
Public Relations Director, Japan PostgreSQL User Group

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> We could do it in Japan :-)
>>

>> Interestingly, Japan seems to have an even more friendly policy.  There
>> is a bunch of countries whose nationals are allowed short-time entry
>> without having to acquire a visa.
>> http://www.mofa.go.jp/feedback/index.html
>

> As much as I'd *love* to go to Japan, I fear the flight from Eastern
> Canada to Japan is exhoborant :(
>
> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Party planning

From
"Richard T. Romanik"
Date:
I think New York would be great or Philadelphia......  ( Bruce  & Jan
would like that)

There should be no problem getting into the states as long as you have
the proper paper work.

RTR

Richard T. Romanik
Vice President of  Sales
SRA AMERICA (Formerly of One WTC)
PostgreSQL Services : Consulting,Development,Migration and Training
One Penn Plaza, Suite 1910
New York, NY 10119

Tel:  212.244.8833.52
Cell: 917.365.8700

www.sraapowergres.com  rich@sraapowergres.com
www.sraamerica.com     rich@sraamerica.com

Robert Treat wrote:

>On Friday 05 August 2005 21:58, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>>The flip side is that Europeans may find it particularly difficult to
>>>find their way to the United States, but somewhat easier to get to
>>>Canada.  That's a factor too...
>>>

>>Yes, _please_ do it anywhere outside the US.  It's really hard to get a
>>US visa for some people.  Canadians, it seems, are far more reasonable.
>>

>We could do it in Japan :-)

Richard T. Romanik
Vice President of  Sales
SRA AMERICA (Formerly of One WTC)
PostgreSQL Services : Consulting,Development,Migration and Training
One Penn Plaza, Suite 1910
New York, NY 10119

Tel:  212.244.8833.52
Cell: 917.365.8700

www.sraapowergres.com  rich@sraapowergres.com
www.sraamerica.com     rich@sraamerica.com

Re: Party planning

From
Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Date:
Richard T. Romanik wrote:
> I think New York would be great or Philadelphia......  ( Bruce  & Jan
> would like that)
>
> There should be no problem getting into the states as long as you have
> the proper paper work.
>

> RTR

> Richard T. Romanik
> Vice President of  Sales
> SRA AMERICA (Formerly of One WTC)
> PostgreSQL Services : Consulting,Development,Migration and Training
> One Penn Plaza, Suite 1910
> New York, NY 10119
>
> Tel:  212.244.8833.52 Cell: 917.365.8700
>
> www.sraapowergres.com  rich@sraapowergres.com
> www.sraamerica.com     rich@sraamerica.com

The last time I went to the states people at the airport treated us (=
my wife and me) like criminals and questioned us for around one hour
(maybe people doing a business trip look like terrorists). I am quite
happy that we did not end up in Guantanamo or so ...

I don't think the US is a good location for an event like that because
as some folks said on the list: It can be hard to get a visa. In
addition to that I think that my fingerprints are my personal
intellectual property which should not be violated ;).

I think Canada would be the better place for most folks.
If people cannot agree on Canada I can offer you the wine cellar in my
back yard ;).

    Best regards,

        Hans

Re: Party planning

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On August 4, 2005 07:59 pm, Neil Conway wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > - Is the time and place OK for everyone?
>
> Fine with me.
>
> > - We would need someone local to help in the organization.

I'm living in the Ottawa region which is about 4 hours travel by car (1hour by plane).

Re: Party planning

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
> As much as I'd *love* to go to Japan, I fear the flight from Eastern
> Canada to Japan is exhoborant :(

That's kind of a given for any "intercontinental" travel.  I'd quite
like to catch some of the conferences in Europe; the cost tends to be
just prohibitive.

I'd not mind doing it in Halifax; there's some community there, and I
could probably arrange decent rates at one of the hotels due to family
connections :-).

But I haven't heard any answers that seem materially better than
Toronto.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html

Re: Party planning

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I'd not mind doing it in Halifax; there's some community there, and I
> could probably arrange decent rates at one of the hotels due to family
> connections :-).
>
> But I haven't heard any answers that seem materially better than
> Toronto.

Tahiti?
Virgin Islands?

;)

I mean heck, if we have to get a passport or travel visa anyway... Why
not make it some place really cool?

Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting
Home of PostgreSQL Replicator, plPHP, plPerlNG and pgPHPToolkit
http://www.commandprompt.com / http://www.postgresql.org

Re: Party planning

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I'd not mind doing it in Halifax; there's some community there, and I
>> could probably arrange decent rates at one of the hotels due to family
>> connections :-).
>>
>> But I haven't heard any answers that seem materially better than
>> Toronto.
>
> Tahiti?
> Virgin Islands?
>
> ;)
>
> I mean heck, if we have to get a passport or travel visa anyway... Why not
> make it some place really cool?

Seems the 'pros' for going ot the US tend to be by a few US based folks,
while most that are 'foreign' are against it ... or is it just me that
sees that? :)  Seems most US folk want to stay in the US, while the rest
of us want to avoid it :)

Not saying I don't like parts of the US ... I just hate travelling to/from
it ... I feel like I'm a criminal both going in and coming out, the way
that US custom's operates ... *and* ... the last time I was there was
*pre* 9/11 ... I'd hate to experience it post :(

  ----

Re: Party planning

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On August 7, 2005 05:12 pm, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > But I haven't heard any answers that seem materially better than
> > Toronto.
>
> Tahiti?
> Virgin Islands?
>
> ;)
>
> I mean heck, if we have to get a passport or travel visa anyway... Why
> not make it some place really cool?

how about this canadian territory :-)

http://www.cdnn.info/travel/t041126/t041126.html

Re: Party planning

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Seems the 'pros' for going ot the US tend to be by a few US based folks,
> while most that are 'foreign' are against it ... or is it just me that
> sees that? :)  Seems most US folk want to stay in the US, while the rest
> of us want to avoid it :)

No sweat how about the Bahamas? I am 60% serious here. Why Toronto? It
is going to be summer, lets hit the beach!

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
> how about this canadian territory :-)
>
> http://www.cdnn.info/travel/t041126/t041126.html

Works for me!

--

Date:
Christopher Browne wrote:
> But I haven't heard any answers that seem materially better than
> Toronto.

Toronto is the place where the PostgreSQL project was initially hosted.
I think that would make it an appropriate venue.

Re: Party planning

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Seems the 'pros' for going ot the US tend to be by a few US based folks,
>> while most that are 'foreign' are against it ... or is it just me that sees
>> that? :)  Seems most US folk want to stay in the US, while the rest of us
>> want to avoid it :)
>
> No sweat how about the Bahamas? I am 60% serious here. Why Toronto? It is
> going to be summer, lets hit the beach!

Why would we travel south in the summer, when Toronto will be hot enough
as it is :)

----

Re: Party planning

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Christopher Browne wrote:
>> But I haven't heard any answers that seem materially better than
>> Toronto.
>
> Toronto is the place where the PostgreSQL project was initially hosted.
> I think that would make it an appropriate venue.

Which, I believe, was why Josh Berkus picked that in the first place ...
"the project birth place", essentially ...

----

Re: Party planning

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> Which, I believe, was why Josh Berkus picked that in the first place ...
> "the project birth place", essentially ...

Actually, Peter picked it.   This was 100% his good idea.

If this turns into an annual event, I could see rotating it around the world;
this year in Toronto, next year in Japan or Australia, year after that in
London, Paris or Frankfurt, etc.

Toronto has these additional advantages:
-- major hub airport, so many competitive flights from all over
US/Europe/Americas
-- not in US so no harassment by TSA*
-- potential meeting location less than a mile from a key community member
(Andrew Sullivan)
-- several other local community members there to help with planning, and two
companies (Afilias and Red Hat)
-- nice city but not too expensive with good public transport

As a San Franciscan, let me say that conventions in this city are overrated
and quite expensive.

Oh, and I vote that we name this the "PostgreSQL Anniversary".

(* = if you think that it's not a major and frightening hassle to visit the US
these days, you clearly haven't traveled internationally for a while.   As a
US citizen, it took me nearly an hour of checks on the way back from Brazil.
For actual foreigners, this is worse; one of the award recipients for the
2003 Oscars (a designer) was detained for 12 hours by the TSA.  Here in San
Francisco, we've noticed at 75% drop in international tourism.)

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Party planning

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 05:34:20PM -0400, Richard T. Romanik wrote:

> There should be no problem getting into the states as long as you have
> the proper paper work.

I will note that I have to agree with Josh here.  I hold dual
(US/Can) citizenship, and I still get a hassle at the border every
time I cross.  Plus, and I hate to raise this, I'm about as
non-racial-profile-target as you get.  One of the folks I work with,
who is originally from India, was once detailed by the TSA and HS
people on the US side.  Because under the PATRIOT act, such
detentions are not subject to normal process, he didn't even have a
right to let people know where he was.  From the point of view of the
rest of the world, it was as if he'd dropped off the earth.

I am not interested in discussing (either to criticise or praise, at
least in this venue) the US policies: they are what they are.  But I
think it a very bad idea to dismiss the potential effects of those
policies when contemplating an international meeting for the
community.  (FWIW, the current Government of Canada stance on some of
these items, especially some of their recent announcements, should
give us pause as well.)

That said, I'm willing to do some work here in Toronto on such an
event, if people want to hold it here.  But if so, we will need to
make that decision quickly.  Toronto has substantially recovered from
its tourism slump of a couple years ago, and summers are tricky to
book again.  We'll need to move soon if we're going to do this.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
        --Alexander Hamilton

Re: Party planning

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On August 8, 2005 03:05 pm, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> I'm willing to do some work here in Toronto on such an
> event, if people want to hold it here.  But if so, we will need to
> make that decision quickly.

> We'll need to move soon if we're going to do this.

May I suggest we consider the debate of location closed and start designating
people to organize for Toronto.

Re: Party planning

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Party planning

From
Chris Travers
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>> Seems the 'pros' for going ot the US tend to be by a few US based
>>> folks, while most that are 'foreign' are against it ... or is it
>>> just me that sees that? :)  Seems most US folk want to stay in the
>>> US, while the rest of us want to avoid it :)
>>

>> No sweat how about the Bahamas? I am 60% serious here. Why Toronto?
>> It is going to be summer, lets hit the beach!
>

> Why would we travel south in the summer, when Toronto will be hot
> enough as it is :)

Ok.  While we are on this topic....

Actually, I don't think that the air will be much cooler in Toronto.  My
wife is from Jakarta, and she complains that the summers here in inland
Washington state are too warm for her.

The real and material difference is that the water will be warmer and
the beaches more pleasant.

If you want to go somewhere with a mild climate, might I suggest Quito,
Ecuador.  It is about 80F year-round and if you want to go down to the
beach you could do that for a couple days after the party either via a
cheap plane ride ($40 last time I was there) or a few hours by car.  The
elevation might be a problem though (3000m)...

And the beaches are ecuatorial and hot so you get something for
everyone.  (Even those who want to drive to the headwaters of the Amazon.)

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: Party planning

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
btw,

what's about getting visa ? We, in Russia, need invitation to get visa.

     Oleg
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>       match

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Party planning

From
Dawid Kuroczko
Date:
On 8/9/05, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
> btw,
> what's about getting visa ? We, in Russia, need invitation to get visa.

We in Poland also need visa.  It is defenately much easier to get
Canadian visa than US visa, by the way.  We don't _need_ to have
an invitation -- it is sufficient to proove we are not going to stay
there or work there (the thing is that you have to convince the
consul).  Helpful would be invitation (formal or informa) from
a friend and/or invitation from some organisation (from a head
of such an organisation).

Its also worth to note, that while you could probably get US
visa in weeks (when I applied for it a while back it took months),
you could get Canadian visa in days.

I don't know about Russia-Canada visa regulations, but I guess
an invitation for Oleg would be a very good idea.

   Regards,
        Dawid

PS: Once again, while I have US visa, I think Canada is much better
choice -- much easier and quicker to get there.

Re: Party planning

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 09:41:04AM +0400, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> btw,
>
> what's about getting visa ? We, in Russia, need invitation to get visa.

I think for this case the visa requirements should be low, because
it's a visit (i.e. social call == tourism, which Canada loves to
promote) and not a work item.  But I should be able to arrange the
invitations anyway, if that's what's needed.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
        --Philip Greenspun

Re: Party planning

Date:
Lamar Owen wrote:

> I wouldn't mind hosting at PARI, one of the coolest sites around... :-)

                                              ^^^^^^^
> Rosman, NC  28772

Not in July.  :-)

Re: Party planning

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:

>>I wouldn't mind hosting at PARI, one of the coolest sites around... :-)
>

>                                               ^^^^^^^

I kind of like the idea of Geographically aligned parties all going on
at the same time. We could have Toronto, Oregon for west coast, Germany
for Europe, see if we can get the Japan guys to kick in on their side
and lets not forget the Aussies.

That would be kind of cool.

Joshua D. Drake

>>Rosman, NC  28772
>

> Not in July.  :-)

Re: Party planning

From
Brian Kilpatrick
Date:
Ya know there are a couple ppl in NY too!

Brian

On Aug 9, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Lamar Owen wrote:

>>> I wouldn't mind hosting at PARI, one of the coolest sites
>>> around... :-)
>>>
>>                                               ^^^^^^^
>>

> I kind of like the idea of Geographically aligned parties all going
> on at the same time. We could have Toronto, Oregon for west coast,
> Germany for Europe, see if we can get the Japan guys to kick in on
> their side and lets not forget the Aussies.
>
> That would be kind of cool.
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>>> Rosman, NC  28772
>>>
>> Not in July.  :-)
>>

> --
> Your PostgreSQL solutions company - Command Prompt, Inc.
> 1.800.492.2240
> PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Programming, 24x7 support
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Party planning

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Brian Kilpatrick wrote:
> Ya know there are a couple ppl in NY too!

Yes I know... I was giving examples, if NY wants to be the east coast
hub so be it but I was also thinking of the fact that NY is not that far
from Toronto.

> Brian
>
> On Aug 9, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>>                                               ^^^^^^^
>>>

>> I kind of like the idea of Geographically aligned parties all going
>> on at the same time. We could have Toronto, Oregon for west coast,
>> Germany for Europe, see if we can get the Japan guys to kick in on
>> their side and lets not forget the Aussies.
>>
>> That would be kind of cool.
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake

>>> Not in July.  :-)
>>>

>> --
>> Your PostgreSQL solutions company - Command Prompt, Inc.  1.800.492.2240
>> PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Programming, 24x7 support
>> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
>> Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/
>>
>> ---------------------------(end of  broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that  your
>>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: Party planning

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On August 9, 2005 11:29 pm, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Ya know there are a couple ppl in NY too!
>
> Yes I know... I was giving examples, if NY wants to be the east coast
> hub so be it but I was also thinking of the fact that NY is not that far
> from Toronto.

Lucky that NY is so close to an important city like Toronto.

Re: Party planning

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 18:24:47 -0300,
  "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> Not saying I don't like parts of the US ... I just hate travelling to/from
> it ... I feel like I'm a criminal both going in and coming out, the way
> that US custom's operates ... *and* ... the last time I was there was
> *pre* 9/11 ... I'd hate to experience it post :(

If you are really unlucky you can get snatched and sent off to some other
country to be tortured.

You can also be locked up for having done things that were legal in your
country (in your country), but prohibited in the U.S., such as breaking DRM
schemes.

Re: Party planning

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 10:35:20 -0700,
  Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> (* = if you think that it's not a major and frightening hassle to visit the US
> these days, you clearly haven't traveled internationally for a while.   As a
> US citizen, it took me nearly an hour of checks on the way back from Brazil.
> For actual foreigners, this is worse; one of the award recipients for the
> 2003 Oscars (a designer) was detained for 12 hours by the TSA.  Here in San
> Francisco, we've noticed at 75% drop in international tourism.)

For a much worse case you can read about Maher Arar:
http://www.amnesty.ca/human_rights_issues/maher_arar_overview.php

Re: Party planning

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On August 10, 2005 03:22 pm, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>   Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > (* = if you think that it's not a major and frightening hassle to visit
> > the US these days, you clearly haven't traveled internationally for a
> > while.   As a US citizen, it took me nearly an hour of checks on the way
> > back from Brazil. For actual foreigners, this is worse; one of the award
> > recipients for the 2003 Oscars (a designer) was detained for 12 hours by
> > the TSA.  Here in San Francisco, we've noticed at 75% drop in
> > international tourism.)
>
> For a much worse case you can read about Maher Arar:
> http://www.amnesty.ca/human_rights_issues/maher_arar_overview.php

His wife got elected as a member of parliment as a direct result of this
event.

--
Robert Bernier
PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst

Tel:  212.244.8833 ext:22

www.sraapowergres.com  robertb@sraapowergres.com
www.sraamerica.com

Re: Party planning

From
Chris Travers
Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 05:34:20PM -0400, Richard T. Romanik wrote:
>

>I will note that I have to agree with Josh here.  I hold dual
>(US/Can) citizenship, and I still get a hassle at the border every
>time I cross.  Plus, and I hate to raise this, I'm about as
>non-racial-profile-target as you get.  One of the folks I work with,
>who is originally from India, was once detailed by the TSA and HS
>people on the US side.  Because under the PATRIOT act, such
>detentions are not subject to normal process, he didn't even have a
>right to let people know where he was.  From the point of view of the
>rest of the world, it was as if he'd dropped off the earth.

Not to beat a dead horse...  Or to split hairs...

First, such detentions even before the USAPATRIOT act did not appear to
be subject to the normal policies.  Often times it is assumed that
foreigners, especially those who have not yet officially entered the US,
do not have the constitutional protections normally afforded to
residents or citizens of the US.  IANAL, but I believe that there is
ample precident for this and it is a very serious concern.  A foreign
exchange student who stayed with my parents was so detained in 1996 (she
was eventually released in the middle of the night in a city where she
didn't know anyone, and I don't even think she was 18 years old at the
time).  So these policies are not new; they may just be more aggresively
used.

Secondly, I hold US citizenship and my wife is an Indonesian national.
We have never run into serious trouble travelling but I have had a
couple of close calls (returning from a 6-week visit to South America
for the purposes of learning Spanish, ariving in NYC at midnight, and
replying to the customs officers in Spanish....) but nothing major.  So
I doubt that most of those coming to the conference would have trouble,
but I would as soon not risk having any key member (say of the core
community) detained, harrassed, etc. for no real apparant reason.

Finally, if Sen. Kennedy or Cat Stevens can end up on a no-fly list, why
should we risk it?  At least a senator has the contacts to get the
problems resolved.  Most of us do not.

Toronto is fine with me.  I personally have no specific attachment to
any specific location.  But I do worry about the impact that the current
visa/passport requirements would bring if it were held in the US.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Attachment