Re: Party planning - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Party planning
Date
Re: Party planning
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc,

> Which, I believe, was why Josh Berkus picked that in the first place ...
> "the project birth place", essentially ...

Actually, Peter picked it.   This was 100% his good idea.

If this turns into an annual event, I could see rotating it around the world;
this year in Toronto, next year in Japan or Australia, year after that in
London, Paris or Frankfurt, etc.

Toronto has these additional advantages:
-- major hub airport, so many competitive flights from all over
US/Europe/Americas
-- not in US so no harassment by TSA*
-- potential meeting location less than a mile from a key community member
(Andrew Sullivan)
-- several other local community members there to help with planning, and two
companies (Afilias and Red Hat)
-- nice city but not too expensive with good public transport

As a San Franciscan, let me say that conventions in this city are overrated
and quite expensive.

Oh, and I vote that we name this the "PostgreSQL Anniversary".

(* = if you think that it's not a major and frightening hassle to visit the US
these days, you clearly haven't traveled internationally for a while.   As a
US citizen, it took me nearly an hour of checks on the way back from Brazil.
For actual foreigners, this is worse; one of the award recipients for the
2003 Oscars (a designer) was detained for 12 hours by the TSA.  Here in San
Francisco, we've noticed at 75% drop in international tourism.)

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions