Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4

From
"Michael J. Baars"
Date:
Hello,

I have two very simple questions:

1) I have an account at postgresql.org, but a link to a 'forgot password' seems to be missing on the login page. I have
mypassword stored only on an old Fedora 32 computer. To change the password

when logged in, you need to supply the old password. In short, I have no way to migrate this postgresql.org account to
mynew Fedora 35 and Fedora 36 computers. What can be done about this?

2) I have three psql clients running, a version 12.6, a version 13.4 and a version 14.3. Until now a 'select * from
table;'showed the output in 'less' or something alike and exited from 'less' when

the output was complete. Both version 12.6 and version 13.4 work that way. Version 14.3 does not exit from 'less' when
theoutput is complete. Did anyone notice this already?

Best regards,
Mischa Baars.

Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4

From
Francisco Olarte
Michael:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 12:01, Michael J. Baars
<mjbaars1977.pgsql.hackers@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) I have three psql clients running, a version 12.6, a version 13.4 and a version 14.3. Until now a 'select * from
table;'showed the output in 'less' or something alike and exited from 'less' when

> the output was complete. Both version 12.6 and version 13.4 work that way. Version 14.3 does not exit from 'less'
whenthe output is complete. Did anyone notice this already?

AFAIK psql just pipes and waits ( and I've piped through some programs
of mine which could normally show bizarre behaviour if psql did
otherwise )This seems like you tuned the pager command or the default
less options, from man less:

       -e or --quit-at-eof
              Causes less to automatically exit the second time it
reaches end-of-file.   By  default,  the
              only way to exit less is via the "q" command.

       -E or --QUIT-AT-EOF
              Causes less to automatically exit the first time it
reaches end-of-file.
<<<

This can come from a variety of sources, see man less, search for lesskey, ...

Check also PAGER and PSQL_PAGER, and .psqlrc and friends, you may have
some things there.

Francsico Olarte.

> Best regards,
> Mischa Baars.

Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 7/25/22 03:01, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two very simple questions:
>
> 1) I have an account at postgresql.org, but a link to a 'forgot password' seems to be missing on the login page. I
havemy password stored only on an old Fedora 32 computer. To change the password

> when logged in, you need to supply the old password. In short, I have no way to migrate this postgresql.org account
tomy new Fedora 35 and Fedora 36 computers. What can be done about this?

If you go here:

https://www.postgresql.org/account/login/?next=/account/

there is a password reset link that takes you to page where you can
specify the email address for the account and have a password reset link
sent to that email. At that link you can create a new password without
knowing the old one.

> 2) I have three psql clients running, a version 12.6, a version 13.4 and a version 14.3. Until now a 'select * from
table;'showed the output in 'less' or something alike and exited from 'less' when

> the output was complete. Both version 12.6 and version 13.4 work that way. Version 14.3 does not exit from 'less'
whenthe output is complete. Did anyone notice this already?

Are all the clients running on the same machine?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On Mon, 2022-07-25 at 07:55 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 7/25/22 03:01, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have two very simple questions:
> >
> > 1) I have an account at postgresql.org, but a link to a 'forgot password' seems to be missing on the login page. I
havemy password stored only on an old Fedora 32 computer. To change the password

> > when logged in, you need to supply the old password. In short, I have no way to migrate this postgresql.org account
tomy new Fedora 35 and Fedora 36 computers. What can be done about this?

> If you go here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/account/login/?next=/account/
>
> there is a password reset link that takes you to page where you can
> specify the email address for the account and have a password reset link
> sent to that email. At that link you can create a new password without
> knowing the old one.

Thank you Adrian!

> > 2) I have three psql clients running, a version 12.6, a version 13.4 and a version 14.3. Until now a 'select * from
table;'showed the output in 'less' or something alike and exited from 'less'

> > when
> > the output was complete. Both version 12.6 and version 13.4 work that way. Version 14.3 does not exit from 'less'
whenthe output is complete. Did anyone notice this already?

> Are all the clients running on the same machine?

Nope, three out of four machines run psql. I have four identical machines. Small ones. Beelink MII-Vs.

I was preparing to expand to twenty, but I have problems booting Fedora Server from a centralized Fedora Server /
FedoraWorkstation dual boot over NFS. It looks like the nfsroot= kernel parameter

conflicts with the initrd, which holds some Fedora configuration scripts. It would have been really nice to see the
PostgreSQLserver running over an aggregated 20Gbit/s SFP+ connection, serving 20

1Gbit/s number crunchers without loss of any bandwidth :) Hopefully one day it will work.

That's why I was fiddling around with the different Fedora and psql versions instead of working :)

Date:
On 7/25/22 09:03, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-07-25 at 07:55 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 7/25/22 03:01, Michael J. Baars wrote:
>>> Hello,

>> Are all the clients running on the same machine?
>
> Nope, three out of four machines run psql. I have four identical machines. Small ones. Beelink MII-Vs.

The machines are identical but is the software also?

If you run Postgres 14 on one of the machines that has 12 or 13 does the
pager work the same?

> I was preparing to expand to twenty, but I have problems booting Fedora Server from a centralized Fedora Server /
FedoraWorkstation dual boot over NFS. It looks like the nfsroot= kernel parameter

> conflicts with the initrd, which holds some Fedora configuration scripts. It would have been really nice to see the
PostgreSQLserver running over an aggregated 20Gbit/s SFP+ connection, serving 20

> 1Gbit/s number crunchers without loss of any bandwidth :) Hopefully one day it will work.
>
> That's why I was fiddling around with the different Fedora and psql versions instead of working :)

I'm going to say we have reached the core of the issue:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On Mon, 2022-07-25 at 09:13 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 7/25/22 09:03, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> > > Are all the clients running on the same machine?
> >
> > Nope, three out of four machines run psql. I have four identical machines. Small ones. Beelink MII-Vs.
>
> The machines are identical but is the software also?
>
> If you run Postgres 14 on one of the machines that has 12 or 13 does the
> pager work the same?

I thought I already told this before, but some of the mails, apparently do not get through.

I'm running Fedora 32, Fedora 35 and Fedora 36 at the moment. Fedora 32 and 35 do not show any problems with the pager,
norare there any PAGER or PSQL_PAGER environment variables. Fedora 36 behaves

different from the older two versions.

Date:
On 7/25/22 09:23, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-07-25 at 09:13 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> I thought I already told this before, but some of the mails, apparently do not get through.

I didn't seem them.

> I'm running Fedora 32, Fedora 35 and Fedora 36 at the moment. Fedora 32 and 35 do not show any problems with the
pager,nor are there any PAGER or PSQL_PAGER environment variables. Fedora 36 behaves

> different from the older two versions.

So the issue is with Fedora not Postgres.

Does Fedora 36 have PAGER* env variables?

In Fedora 36 at a terminal command line what happens if you do ls -al in
a directory with more then screen full of file listings?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022, 18:41 Adrian Klaver, <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/25/22 09:23, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-07-25 at 09:13 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> I thought I already told this before, but some of the mails, apparently do not get through.

I didn't seem them.

It's an evolution problem. I think it's had it's longest time.

> I'm running Fedora 32, Fedora 35 and Fedora 36 at the moment. Fedora 32 and 35 do not show any problems with the pager, nor are there any PAGER or PSQL_PAGER environment variables. Fedora 36 behaves
> different from the older two versions.

So the issue is with Fedora not Postgres.

No, it's psql. Setting PAGER to "more -e" solved the problem l, but I never had to before. There are no other variables affecting this behavior, so it must be psql internal default piping command that has changed.

Does Fedora 36 have PAGER* env variables?

No, none of the distributions has by default.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 7/25/22 9:55 AM, Michael J. Baars wrote:

>     So the issue is with Fedora not Postgres.
>

> No, it's psql. Setting PAGER to "more -e" solved the problem l, but I
> never had to before. There are no other variables affecting this
> behavior, so it must be psql internal default piping command that has
> changed.

Hmm, I don't see a -e option to 'more' I do see one for 'less'. I'm
guessing 'more' is symlinked to 'less'.

 From here:

https://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less/faq.html#dashe

"Normally, less doesn't quit until you type "q". You can make it quit as
soon as it reaches the end of the file by using the -E option. However,
many (but not all) people prefer to have less remain active until they
explicitly quit, because they might wish to back up and look at earlier
parts of the file again. "

I'm betting that between Fedora 35 and 36 the project changed the
configuration of `less` to follow the normal pattern.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 7/25/22 10:37 AM, Michael J. Baars wrote:

Reply to list also
Ccing list

> Use 'man more', manual pages are your friend.

I did, I just picked the wrong version. Got an the manual for ancient
version of more.

>     "Normally, less doesn't quit until you type "q". You can make it
>     quit as
>     soon as it reaches the end of the file by using the -E option. However,
>     many (but not all) people prefer to have less remain active until they
>     explicitly quit, because they might wish to back up and look at earlier
>     parts of the file again. "
>

> Scroll-back buffers do not work using less as the psql piping command.
> Try more, talk less, Adrian.

As far back as I can remember they have. When I work with Postgres I
live in psql. Not only can I scroll forward and backward I can use vim
shortcuts gg(start of buffer), G(end of file),  /<search term>. j(cursor
down one line), k(up one line), etc.

>     I'm betting that between Fedora 35 and 36 the project changed the
>     configuration of `less` to follow the normal pattern.
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2022-Jul-25, Michael J. Baars wrote:

> No, it's psql. Setting PAGER to "more -e" solved the problem l, but I never
> had to before. There are no other variables affecting this behavior, so it
> must be psql internal default piping command that has changed.

Perhaps the settings are in the environment variable LESS, which sets
options for less(1).